Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

TouchCab news & updates

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#201 eddie reffin

eddie reffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationInverness

Posted 13 September 2017 - 14:27

Mine updated last night on the phone so will have a look at iPad later. Will get a chance to play with it tomorrow before work.
  • Like x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#202 big jim

big jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,932 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 14:54

I've updated mine so may give it a go later, thankfully it's not used the same font as Aberdeen-Mrc has used in their last post!
  • Funny x 1
  • Like x 1

#203 AberdeenMRC - Mike

AberdeenMRC - Mike

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 15:10

Mine updated last night on the phone so will have a look at iPad later. Will get a chance to play with it tomorrow before work.

Great news!

I note you have a Scottish Layout - would you be interested in joining our Scottish Facebook Group?

#204 AberdeenMRC - Mike

AberdeenMRC - Mike

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 15:35

I've updated mine so may give it a go later, thankfully it's not used the same font as Aberdeen-Mrc has used in their last post!

What's wrong with this font? :P

#205 JJGraphics

JJGraphics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationWokingham, Berkshire

Posted 13 September 2017 - 15:42

Nothing if you've got good eyesight . . . but us old 'uns struggle with spider script!
  • Funny x 1

#206 JJGraphics

JJGraphics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 15:44

Updated on my iPhone and iPad today. Looking forward to getting home tomorrow to try them out!

John
  • Like x 2

#207 eddie reffin

eddie reffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationInverness

Posted 13 September 2017 - 17:25

Great news!

I note you have a Scottish Layout - would you be interested in joining our Scottish Facebook Group?

I'm already on the page. My layout was the small depot across from yours at the Inverness MRC show a few weeks ago.

Eddie
  • Like x 1

#208 55020

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 13 September 2017 - 18:32

Having read this thread I couldn't resist quoting the following from the Aberdeen MRC website:   :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

"So why iOS and not Android? If you know me, you may be forgiven for thinking its because I hate the fact Android was stolen from Apple while there was a Google Exec on the Apple board. However, much as the previous statement is true, it is not the case. The simple reason is that Android, being an 'open' platform, is very fragmented. What this means is that each licensee of Android (phone manufacturer) can make their own little tweaks to the software. Also hardware is never the same even within the same manufacturer. This makes App development difficult, and for a niche so small as ours, it become hardly worth writing an App for Android. That is not to say there is not an Apps - there may well be, however it adds complications into the mix for end users which is why I suggest to stay clear of Android to control your layout. The last thing we want in our hobby is more frustration! With iOS your App is virtually guaranteed to work out the box, first time, every time."

#209 big jim

big jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,932 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 18:40

you've changed it to make me look foolish!

#210 juke

juke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 22:09

I weakened today, bad back (genuine!) overcome to get into the loft. IPhones 4S, 6 and wife's new SE (a bargain phone, 6s with 5 size body) all worked great. Couldn't stand long enough to do much testing but all seems well, back doesn't agree....

Syd

#211 AberdeenMRC - Mike

AberdeenMRC - Mike

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:02

Having read this thread I couldn't resist quoting the following from the Aberdeen MRC website: :nono: :nono: :nono:

"So why iOS and not Android? If you know me, you may be forgiven for thinking its because I hate the fact Android was stolen from Apple while there was a Google Exec on the Apple board. However, much as the previous statement is true, it is not the case. The simple reason is that Android, being an 'open' platform, is very fragmented. What this means is that each licensee of Android (phone manufacturer) can make their own little tweaks to the software. Also hardware is never the same even within the same manufacturer. This makes App development difficult, and for a niche so small as ours, it become hardly worth writing an App for Android. That is not to say there is not an Apps - there may well be, however it adds complications into the mix for end users which is why I suggest to stay clear of Android to control your layout. The last thing we want in our hobby is more frustration! With iOS your App is virtually guaranteed to work out the box, first time, every time."

Hehe I wrote this article a long time ago.

To be fair, it is all true. But it is also a piece written for the club website. AMRC has nothing to do with TouchCab other than they use it.

Android is being looked at, but all those points still stand, even more so today, so we need to weigh up the time versus the return. TouchCab is so simple to use because it’s so complex behind the user interface!

#212 AberdeenMRC - Mike

AberdeenMRC - Mike

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:05

you've changed it to make me look foolish!

How strange! I certainly didn’t change anything!

#213 big jim

big jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,932 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:09

How strange! I certainly didn’t change anything!

It's changed back again, your messing with my mind!!

#214 Nigelcliffe

Nigelcliffe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:41

Hehe I wrote this article a long time ago.

To be fair, it is all true. But it is also a piece written for the club website.

I could write something highly critical of Apple iOS devices.  But that just descends to the playground arguments of "your dad's car isn't as good as my dad's car".

The reality is that both the main smartphone/tablet platforms (Apple and Android) have issues, particularly for railway modellers who often work on decade+ long timeframes when the smartphone device makers are working on a handful of years for the device to be obsolete-scrap.

ESU's own wireless MC2 throttle runs Android.   There are folks who successfully produce throttle Apps for Android. Some work via an intermediate computer (which could be a cheap tiny Raspberry Pi), but some can go direct without computer, including Apps advertised for the ECoS.

#215 AberdeenMRC - Mike

AberdeenMRC - Mike

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:08

I'm already on the page. My layout was the small depot across from yours at the Inverness MRC show a few weeks ago.

Eddie

Ahh excellent.

Sorry, I wasn't able to make the Inverness show :(

• Like x 1

#216 AberdeenMRC - Mike

AberdeenMRC - Mike

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:15

I could write something highly critical of Apple iOS devices.  But that just descends to the playground arguments of "your dad's car isn't as good as my dad's car".

The reality is that both the main smartphone/tablet platforms (Apple and Android) have issues, particularly for railway modellers who often work on decade+ long timeframes when the smartphone device makers are working on a handful of years for the device to be obsolete-scrap.

ESU's own wireless MC2 throttle runs Android.   There are folks who successfully produce throttle Apps for Android. Some work via an intermediate computer (which could be a cheap tiny Raspberry Pi), but some can go direct without computer, including Apps advertised for the ECoS.

Let's not get into an argument here, but iOS is simply better to develop for. There is just no argument to that. I do this as a hobby. So to spend the time to develop for thousands of different makes and models, and even the same models but with different chips inside, is going to take time away from my family. I'm not saying that I'm not going to do it...

ESU do indeed have an android app, but they also have a team of employees who do that for a living! It's not really a comparison :P

• Agree x 2

#217 PaulCheffus

PaulCheffus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:31

Hi

Couldn't agree more.

I bought an iPod Touch purely to control my layout using TouchCab around five or six years ago. This iPod will only support IOS 6 so this means I can no longer upgrade TouchCab to the latest version. Buying a new iPod wouldn't be cost effective so I am stuck with the older version.

Hopefully I will still be able to use this old version until the iPod no longer works.

Cheers

Paul

#218 AberdeenMRC - Mike

AberdeenMRC - Mike

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:41

Hi

Couldn't agree more.

I bought an iPod Touch purely to control my layout using TouchCab around five or six years ago. This iPod will only support IOS 6 so this means I can no longer upgrade TouchCab to the latest version. Buying a new iPod wouldn't be cost effective so I am stuck with the older version.

Hopefully I will still be able to use this old version until the iPod no longer works.

Cheers

Paul

5th Gen iPods (2014 model year) can be purchased 2nd hand from £45. A DCC throttle is considerably more than this!

On the other hand, if your iPod still works, then you have no need to upgrade. TouchCab 1.8.3 won't just stop working because the new version is launched :D. You may not get some new features as we add them to TouchCab, but would you get new features from an old dcc throttle? Or would an android phone get any better updates?

• Informative/Useful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#219 JJGraphics

JJGraphics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:50

Let's not get into an argument here, but iOS is simply better to develop for. There is just no argument to that. I do this as a hobby. So to spend the time to develop for thousands of different makes and models, and even the same models but with different chips inside, is going to take time away from my family. I'm not saying that I'm not going to do it...

ESU do indeed have an android app, but they also have a team of employees who do that for a living! It's not really a comparison :P

The half-dozen developers whom I know from many years in the industry would totally agree about the issues of developing for Android. It's a load of hurt and is why they have to a man given up on Android and now do only iOS Apps. It is not a question of "my toy is better than yours", but as Mike rightly says, the issues of developing for a platform that has developed many different nuances and complications.

Yes, ESU do have an App running on Android, but on their choice of hardware in a closed situation, so they have control of both hardware and software, just like iOS in effect, which makes the job of developing their App a little easier.

John
  • Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#220 PaulCheffus

PaulCheffus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:54

5th Gen iPods (2014 model year) can be purchased 2nd hand from £45. A DCC throttle is considerably more than this!

On the other hand, if your iPod still works, then you have no need to upgrade. TouchCab 1.8.3 won't just stop working because the new version is launched :D. You may not get some new features as we add them to TouchCab, but would you get new features from an old dcc throttle? Or would an android phone get any better updates?

Hi

Yes I could buy a model that is currently three years old but how long before Apple drop support for that one?

Thanks for the clarification that the old version will still continue working and my post was not meant to be a criticism of you so apologies if you thought it was.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus, 14 September 2017 - 08:55 .

#221 AberdeenMRC - Mike

AberdeenMRC - Mike

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:27

Hi

Yes I could buy a model that is currently three years old but how long before Apple drop support for that one?

Thanks for the clarification that the old version will still continue working and my post was not meant to be a criticism of you so apologies if you thought it was.

Cheers

Paul

No need to apologise :D I didn't take it as a criticism...

Reading my post back, I may have come across in the wrong way - sorry. 

It was meant to be informative. Just for info, the 2014 iPod was only updated in 2017 to the 6th gen as far as I remember, so it should be good for a few years yet :D

Thanks

Mike

Edited by AberdeenMRC - Mike, 14 September 2017 - 09:28 .

#222 JJGraphics

JJGraphics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:51

Now had a chance to thoroughly test the 1.8.4 version on iPad2 (iOS 9.3.5) and iPhone7 (iOS10.3.3) and everything seems to work extremely well.

John

• Thanks x 1
  • Informative/Useful x 1