Blue - Completed & Unpainted

Red - Under construction

6606022781_b2166e8295_b.jpg

Latest span under construction - very strong sunlight

In temporary storage -

6606022985_9a0dedef9f_b.jpg

- continuing construction >>>>>

• Like 15

One of the features I have been looking at, is neon lighting for the station clock (white) and frontage sign (red)

6606022581_f7f8ae1d5d_b.jpg

I have been experimenting with ordinary 0.7mm optical fibre (a bit overscale at 2")

The usual fibre is used to provide remote and multiple spot lighting using an LED light source

For the neon signs the light has to be visible along the length of the fibre not at the end

Using a short piece approx. 50mm long - The fibre was scraped roughly with the back of a craft knife along its length, just a single stroke

The expectation is that the internal reflection in the fibre would be caught by the roughened surface and be visible externally

6606022035_534c732f01_b.jpg

The light intensity falls off along the length

If the fibre is bent over and the light source is made available from both ends -

6606022265_32c02e1aa4_b.jpg

6606022155_85475f7e3a_b.jpg

The test apparatus was the optical fibre, plasticine and the LED lighting at the front of the laptop

The picture is a bit shaky due to a long exposure - don't have a tripod and the flash facility was switched off

It appears that this proves the method - just needs refining i.e. a number of very bright LEDs, a light box, and the templates for the CENTRAL STATION sign and clock surround

Now need to determine minimum bend radii for the fibre, with & without heating

• Like 6

I use photobucket to upload my pictures to and then copy the img code, as it creates a direct link and auto loads pics on to the page. It saves having to click the link to see the pictures as well!

Thanks Ian - Had a problem with Photobucket, but used Flikr to transfer/download my images

Cheers

Fantastic progress Ron. I have so missed your regular updates, but enjoying catching up now.

The scale of your build just keeps on socking us right in the mush! Is that Mrs Heggs I see, now finding it impossible to keep out of the picture?

Happy New Year to you and yours; 2012 will keep us all just as enthralled I'm sure.

Phil

Fantastic progress Ron. I have so missed your regular updates, but enjoying catching up now.

The scale of your build just keeps on socking us right in the mush! Is that Mrs Heggs I see, now finding it impossible to keep out of the picture?

Happy New Year to you and yours; 2012 will keep us all just as enthralled I'm sure.

Phil

Hi, Phil

Thanks for your comments

We had just returned from a morning walk, and I had retrieved the roof from the workshop after the paint had dried. I was photographing it, and SWMBO was sat watching lunchtime TV

Now the models are spread around the villa, in tempoary storage, Barbara is becoming more intimate with them and the overall scale of the project

Cheers

Ron

I am sure you will "get" the answer to the neon lighting just as you have with the rest of the build.

Keep going. A whole army of wide-eyed modellers are watching your every move! No pressure then.

Happy New Year Ian

As you say, I will get the answer - and with two new pairs of glasses, this makes me as wide-eyed as everyone else

Cheers

Ron

Happy New Year, Ron! I'm sure you'll keep stunnning us throughout 2012 too.

Thanks Bernard - Happy New Year

Just a few special builds to do this year - interspersed with the Train Shed Roof and Castlefield Viaduct

Cheers

Ron

Superb modelling, world shortage of plasticard comes to mind. All the best for 2012.

Hi

All the best to you

Sometimes think there is a shortage of plastic, or is it just a stock problem with suppliers. There can't be many modellers with such large orders to place at any one time

Soon be over - looking at my present stock, only minimal supplies required to finish the viaduct, and that won't be until later in the year

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ron

I found this thread yesterday and have just finished reading it. All the superlatives which have gone before, I echo these plus a few more which I can't put on here as they are variations on four letter words. :locomotive: :O :o :O :locomotive: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :locomotive:

If it's of any interest (possibly a bit late) I got two and a half litre's of Dichloromethane (PLASTIC WELD) from Reagent

http://www.reagent.c...dichloromethane

£36.86 + vat. I can't remember whether there was delivery on it. This is obviously UK.

Cheers SS

Hi Ron

I found this thread yesterday and have just finished reading it. All the superlatives which have gone before, I echo these plus a few more which I can't put on here as they are variations on four letter words. :locomotive: :O :o :O :locomotive: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :locomotive:

If it's of any interest (possibly a bit late) I got two and a half litre's of Dichloromethane (PLASTIC WELD) from Reagent

http://www.reagent.c...dichloromethane

£36.86 + vat. I can't remember whether there was delivery on it. This is obviously UK.

Cheers SS

Hi, SS

Thanks for your comments (even those that aren't in print)

The info. on Dichloromethane is useful, if I need any more this year could arrange delivery in the UK, and it brought over by car

Cheers

Ron

Best wishes for the new year Ron.

As for the neon lettering, have you considered building it up in layers? Take some transparent acrylic, cut out the letter shape, then build a tightly fitting box with reflective material on the inside and provide multiple light sources (SMD led's are tiny!) for an even spread of light. You may need to experiment with some variables, like positioning of the leds, the back of the acrylic, etc) for optimum effect... Amazing progress :declare: :chok_mini: :thankyou:

All the best for this new year

I had considered edge lighting thin strips of celluloid embedded in the main letter shapes. Just need to experiment a little

Cheers

Ron

Ron,

Had an idea about the frontage sign that you mentioned earlier.

Have you thought about making them out of red perspex / plexi glass?

Cut out the letters, paint outside white, then if you could get the inner letter engraved in, and backlight with a red LED that might work.

(Engrave first, then cut out would be easier!)

It's a similar method that is used for backlighted aircraft control panels. I've used it for doing white / green / yellow before, not red though!!

Just a different idea to the fibre optic, but it is possible.

Dave

Another possiblity for your lettering would be using electoluminescent wire. It's cheap and easy to manipulate, end result looks like neon in whatever colour you choose.

However, the smallest diameter I can find is 1.2mm, and it does need a driver/inverter to fire it, but not expensive.

One example in this instructible: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-EL-Wire-Art/

Peter

Ron,

Had an idea about the frontage sign that you mentioned earlier.

Have you thought about making them out of red perspex / plexi glass?

Cut out the letters, paint outside white, then if you could get the inner letter engraved in, and backlight with a red LED that might work.

(Engrave first, then cut out would be easier!)

It's a similar method that is used for backlighted aircraft control panels. I've used it for doing white / green / yellow before, not red though!!

Just a different idea to the fibre optic, but it is possible.

Dave

Thanks Dave - The ideas are coming through 'thick & fast' - Will add this method to my experiments

Another possiblity for your lettering would be using electoluminescent wire. It's cheap and easy to manipulate, end result looks like neon in whatever colour you choose.

However, the smallest diameter I can find is 1.2mm, and it does need a driver/inverter to fire it, but not expensive.

One example in this instructible: http://www.instructa...ke-EL-Wire-Art/

Peter

Thanks Peter - Another one to experiment with

Cheers to you both

Ron

I've not peeked for a while but I have just spent half an hour catching up... I now need to go and lie down :lol:

Stunningly brilliant ... the clock and the neon sign developments are inspired

Thanks for your continuing interest and comments - much appreciated

Cheers

Ron

Just received my Christmas presents and Pre-Christmas orders from the UK (all had to be delivered by road by two of my daughters) -

- for the Castlefield Viaduct stanchions/pillars (14 off)

Moulding Silicone 25 Shore

Polyurethane Fastcast

- for the viaducts and train shed roof structure

16 large cans of Halfords Grey Primer

6 cans of Halfords Ford Sierra Beige

- for various concrete structures

2 cans of Plastikote Suede Effect Spray Paint

amongst other non-modelling presents

They should keep me going for a month or two