Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

The suspended ceiling over the layout has been completed, that's 54m2. The ceilings over the areas for the carriage sidings and the loco shed (7m2) will be be done as time allows

Will post pictures of progress on the viaducts tomorrow evening

Ron

• Like 3

Looking at the trainshed in that last picture, I couldn't help thinking that it looked a bit like an airship under construction!

Stunning work as ever, Ron.

That's one that will definitely not be flying high  :no:

Cheers

Ron

Surely you can't be serious? And don't call me Shirley!

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Don't mind me - just working late on a Saturday night. I have to say the Man Cave is pretty spectacular - something I can only dream of.

Surely you can't be serious? And don't call me Shirley!

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Don't mind me - just working late on a Saturday night. I have to say the Man Cave is pretty spectacular - something I can only dream of.

Hi, Ian

Thanks. It's 8.30pm Saturday here in Spain - just starting back producing the artwork for the next section of the viaducts 

The lining of the walls is another task still to be carried out - probably November time. In the meantime, have to build some wide drawers for all the modelling materials, etc.

..... and still continue modelling the CLC/GNR/MSJ&AR viaducts, which are taking a bit of time - have to get the relative elevations correct, as the carriage sidings and loco shed depend on this being spot-on - and the access around and between the viaducts is pretty tight - really need a pair of angels wings - the viaduct sections are being placed temporarily to ensure they all mate to each other correctly, as later mods will be nigh impossible

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have the two baseboards in place for the carriage sidings and the loco shed. The MSJ&AR viaducts which are being used to access these are being assembled and aligned

... it's all timber work so will post pictures when it's complete, and before it is faced with brickwork, etc. Progress is a little slow as the temperature in the railway room has risen over past few days to 31 deg C, and that's with the vent. fans going full tilt. Outside shade temperature is over 36 deg C :sungum: , and  28 deg C overnight. It's a case of measure, cut, :drinks:, fix, another :drinks: and think about next op  :scratchhead:  

The CLC/GN Viaducts Junction is finished, except for the wall cappings -

post-10633-0-19845100-1407248925_thumb.jpg

The woodwork for the MSJ&AR brick viaducts including the West Junction, just about complete, and the connections to the Carriage Sidings and Loco Shed boards are all in place -

post-10633-0-16234900-1407249017_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-68778400-1407249123_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-14468500-1407249206_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-45391400-1407249297_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-39727700-1407249382_thumb.jpg

- next job is to complete the remainder of the GN Junction with ex-Engine Shed and Sidings

West Junction -

post-10633-0-41620500-1407249454_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-37196000-1407249561_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-14179300-1407249639_thumb.jpg

All three viaducts MSJ&AR, Cornbrook and Castlefield (1st section)

• Like 15

Excellent modelling Ron and good to see structures in their full context.

Do you have. Track plan would be helpful to get an overall impression of where you are heading.

I assume you have a plan drawn out wouldn't want to put work on you as you have enough to do already.

Excellent modelling Ron and good to see structures in their full context.

Do you have. Track plan would be helpful to get an overall impression of where you are heading.

I assume you have a plan drawn out wouldn't want to put work on you as you have enough to do already.

Hi, Gary

So far have only the track plan generated from the Templot Trackwork, which doesn't include the MSJ&AR tracks, and the carriage sidings and loco shed, etc.

Overall plan -

post-10633-0-84553900-1407264944_thumb.png

post-10633-0-43955200-1407264953_thumb.png

Top left

post-10633-0-28138100-1407264948_thumb.png

Bottom left

post-10633-0-44506700-1407264955_thumb.png

Top right

post-10633-0-77702800-1407264950_thumb.png

Bottom right

I can upload more detail of any particular area of trackwork, if required

Cheers

Ron

• Like 13

All that trackwork - I hope you have a plan to allow rail expansion in 30 degrees plus temperatures?

Surely you only need to allow for expansion when the temperature varies a lot. I not sure what the range is where Ron lives.

Here we only get about 10 degree variation. Unlike the UK where it can be 30 plus degree variation.

Our temperature variation can be across a range of 6 deg C in winter up to close to 40 deg C in summer. The humidity levels vary widely as well. The basement location will help a lot though - unless the openings to the garden loop let in a lot of hot air during summer! I initially attempted to build my layout in the area under the house but it was prone to flooding with each cyclonic rain event. I hope to have cured that problem now with massive drains but the damage was already done - everything went mouldy. If I put in anything now into that space, hopefully the drains will keep the moisture levels more under control. Yet to be tested - we are now in a drought which will take us through the next summer (but that generally means higher temperatures as well).

Good ventilation should help.

All that trackwork - I hope you have a plan to allow rail expansion in 30 degrees plus temperatures?

Surely you only need to allow for expansion when the temperature varies a lot. I not sure what the range is where Ron lives.

Here we only get about 10 degree variation. Unlike the UK where it can be 30 plus degree variation.

Our temperature variation can be across a range of 6 deg C in winter up to close to 40 deg C in summer. The humidity levels vary widely as well. The basement location will help a lot though - unless the openings to the garden loop let in a lot of hot air during summer! I initially attempted to build my layout in the area under the house but it was prone to flooding with each cyclonic rain event. I hope to have cured that problem now with massive drains but the damage was already done - everything went mouldy. If I put in anything now into that space, hopefully the drains will keep the moisture levels more under control. Yet to be tested - we are now in a drought which will take us through the next summer (but that generally means higher temperatures as well).

Good ventilation should help.

The recorded temperatures over the last two years in the Railway Room have been as low as 19 deg C, and as high as 31 deg C. That is an 12 deg C difference.The coefficient of linear thermal expansion of nickel silver is 16.2 x 10-6 metre/metre per deg C. That equates to 0.1944mm per metre over an 12 deg C temperature range

Individual rail lengths are no more than 1 metre, and more usually less than 500mm. Building gaps at 10thou (0.25mm) will be more than adequate for indoor trackwork

Outdoors that is a completely different challenge - minimum 2 deg C and maximum 38 deg C (shade) - recording the temperature of sample rail lengths during this summer will be carried to determine a maximum - will post details when available

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 1

Forgot about expansion and contraction due to humidity changes, especially where track is fixed to timber baseboards. Luckily, the layout is built on foamboard, so don't have that to worry about. Outside, well it looks like the track will built/fixed to concrete. Timber doesn't really survive long due to temperature and humidity extremes

Ron 

• Like 1