Tim's painting and weathering workbench

Guest LNER Tom

Stunning work once more...that effect on the motion certainly works wonders ;)

Just about to head out and get a pic of my black 5 when the sun decides to reappear :rolleyes: but those pics have been most helpful indeed ;)

Are we to see some of your other locos on here with the new valve gear treatment?

Tom

• Like 1

Are we to see some of your other locos on here with the new valve gear treatment?

Tom

Indeed! I've revisited all those done so far and used the excess oil from an untouched Black Five to work the magic. It baffles me how a model needs quite so much oil, so much so that it's almost dripping with the stuff!!! blink.gif

Have given that 8F a slightly cleaner bufferbeam since the pics - thankyou Microsol! cool.gif

Cheers,

So whats next out of the dirt factory? oh and hows the Stanier Mogul coming on? :)

Tom

Probably another 6B 5MT, though I'm seriously thinking of doing a Bidston 9F, if I can find a pic..... Shall see what takes my fancy from my current crop of unweathered EM'd locos!

As for 42967, still awaiting my having enough enthusiasm to press on with it.... These things take time! laugh.gif

EDIT: update on mogul proceedings

Edited by Tim

Hi Tim, I am not an expert on steam locos at all and have no knowledge what so ever but they do look very nice to me!

Slightly different to Auchinraith!

Thanks Alex. :)

Yes, it is rather different, but I've been gearing up for my large steam project for about a decade now. All I'll say is "watch this space" for layout news ;).

Reminds me, must get a topic for Auchinraith started on here, seeing as the old one died a death on the old forum.....

Cheers,

Hi Tim,

Just caught up with this - looking good! One question about the 4MT though, are you intending to try to fabricate the bellows as fitted with that style of tender? Its something I intend to do (on a Brit), but using a full width of folded paper (MJT gangway style) would obliterate the tender front detailing,and I dont know how thin a structure could be made for a set per side.

Hi Tim,

Just caught up with this - looking good! One question about the 4MT though, are you intending to try to fabricate the bellows as fitted with that style of tender? Its something I intend to do (on a Brit), but using a full width of folded paper (MJT gangway style) would obliterate the tender front detailing,and I dont know how thin a structure could be made for a set per side.

Hi Pete,

You know, I've not really given much thought to that side of things to be honest. Most photos I have show said bellows to be rather billowed out all over the shop (they were pretty cr*p in service!). Minded of the fact they're going to get in the way during maintenance and general handling, not to mention if a loco decides to "go in the dirt", I might just ignore them! Having a Brit, three 5MTs, a 75 4MT (more to come eventually) and a 76 4MT, all with the early cab, I'm reminded of three letters: C, B and A, in that order! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Cheers,

Absolutely jaw-dropping artistry, Tim.

Spent ages drooling over every image last night, marvelling at your techniques, including one of the latest using gouache. Superb results.... which is why I found this little snippet I came across tonight on a website called scalemodelguide.com quite amusing. ( Actually it's a really useful site... but when describing all the painting mediums, this is what it said about gouache..)

"Gouache (sometimes called Poster paint) is a water based paint similar to water colours. It differs from water colours in having a coarser pigment and an additional inert white pigment such as chalk added. It has no practical use for modellers and is included here for completeness".

How wrong they are!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, keep 'em coming to inspire us all!

• Like 1

"Gouache (sometimes called Poster paint) is a water based paint similar to water colours. It differs from water colours in having a coarser pigment and an additional inert white pigment such as chalk added. It has no practical use for modellers and is included here for completeness".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I never cease to be amazed by some of the misinformation on the internets, it's brilliant for rust effects as well as kettle weathering.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I never cease to be amazed by some of the misinformation on the internets, it's brilliant for rust effects as well as kettle weathering.

Seconded! I couldn't think of anything pithy to reply with though..... Still, it does remind me somewhat of that oft said statement "an expert is someone who disagrees with another expert". Perhaps they've never properly tried it, if at all? Meh..... fool_mini.gif

I will say that until both Pugsley and Pennine MC started using the stuff back in earlier versions of RMweb, I'd never heard of it or knew how it really worked. Probably one the most important items now in any weatherer's "toolbox".

Taking a break from weathering at the moment as a certain Stanier mogul is the object of my attention. laugh.gif

Cheers,

Still, it does remind me somewhat of that oft said statement "an expert is someone who disagrees with another expert".

I think this statement applies to how the blasted stuff is pronounced - the blokes who develope it, produce it and market it at work all have differing views!

Pix

• Like 2

I think this statement applies to how the blasted stuff is pronounced - the blokes who develope it, produce it and market it at work all have differing views!

Pix

That comes as no surprise! laugh.giflaugh_mini.gif

• 5 months later...
Taking a break from weathering at the moment as a certain Stanier mogul is the object of my attention. laugh.gif

Hmmm, some break....! :blink: Can't believe i've not done anything here since pre May. Oh well, I blame my spending more time on this machine below..... (I'll go into more depth on the weathering of it here, unlike the main thread detailing the construction of it)

post-6712-0-25130900-1318332889_thumb.jpg

I'm still pretty much wedded to my techniques of washes and dry-brushing, powders and the occasional spot of gouache if required. My personal feelings are that it produces less of a flat finish and looks more real, plus providing more in the way of texture.

With regard to the technique detailed in previous replies about adding oil to the motion, I'm still discovering new ways of making it work for each given prototype. Depends also on the type of metal used for the motion - some RTR motion sets react differently when compared to aftermarket nickel-silver ones. Worse still, some don't even take to paint at all, which can result in some choice Anglo-Saxon used..... :nono:

Next in the queue is something totally different from my usual - a Thompson O4/8. There's still the Fowler-tendered 8F to complete, so that will probably get sorted at the same time.

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 5

In agreements with the comments above.

It's amazing how weathering on BR Blue looks...well...wrong in a good way...if that makes sense. You can understand why BR changed it to BR green which to some extent, hides the dirt.

Back to the loco thought....a superb finish, the weathering enhances the loco completely, I love that smoke stain on top....she had definitely come off a good run by the looks of it ;)

Nice one! :drinks:

• Like 1

Tim, I have to ask. Are you feeling ok? A different 4-6-2 of a certain rival company on your workbench? Again fantastic work mate.

Yes, I have a feeling I've been on too much whisky lately..... There is a 4-6-2 of a more appropriate railway currently OMWB, but I can't let that one out until the article has been sent off to Mr Wild @ HM. ;)

In agreements with the comments above.

It's amazing how weathering on BR Blue looks...well...wrong in a good way...if that makes sense. You can understand why BR changed it to BR green which to some extent, hides the dirt.

Back to the loco thought....a superb finish, the weathering enhances the loco completely, I love that smoke stain on top....she had definitely come off a good run by the looks of it ;)

Nice one! :drinks:

Thanks Tom! I will admit I was a little apprehensive at weathering this one, particularly after the finish i'd got with the paintwork and lining. Still, it was asked to be weathered, so weathered it had to be!

Yes, there is something "different" about BR blue..... Much prefer green (or red!) myself though :)

Cheers all!

Yes, I have a feeling I've been on too much whisky lately..... There is a 4-6-2 of a more appropriate railway currently OMWB, but I can't let that one out until the article has been sent off to Mr Wild @ HM. ;)

Thanks Tom! I will admit I was a little apprehensive at weathering this one, particularly after the finish i'd got with the paintwork and lining. Still, it was asked to be weathered, so weathered it had to be!

Yes, there is something "different" about BR blue..... Much prefer green (or red!) myself though :)

Cheers all!

Aye that original picture un weathered was very striking....but for me the weathering really makes her look like a working loco. Also interesting how the paint work seems to have gone lighter now the weathering is on....optical illusion I'm sure, but I like that. :)

Yes....you should do a Duchess or Princess in this livery for sure! :D