DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

Hi all, yep thats right another depot layout, but this actually a first for me, but its in keeping with my usual grime and industry look i give my layouts.

Also i wanted to make a move into DCC and DCC sound, after a weekend at the Mansfield exhibition with charlie street i was put next to RBE fantastic Outon Road layout, i have to thank cav for his help and advice and the amazing work he has done on my EWS 08 ( pictures to come ). And Diesel Dayz with his brillent Duke street and also his help and advice also.

ok cut along story short, i was transfixed by the sound and how much it adds to a small layout, so i decided to go for it and take the plunge.

Ok the plan...

post-6696-0-06033700-1300219406_thumb.jpg

The plan origanally came from 1 i saw on the old forum which was posted by Hugh Flynn, Hopefully i havent breeched any copyright laws or anything and hopefully Hugh is ok with this.

i have not changed much from the plan, except the road over to the fiddle yard is going to be a kind of fly over with working speed camera.

alll the buildings etc will be scratch built and hopefully the sound will give it all a great atmosphere.

I am looking to do this in a view to showing it eventually.

The boards have been made from 10mm chipboard, similar to what you use to board out lofts with a 2x1 frame.

the fiddle yard is around 2ft 6 which gives plenty of length for a small depot with the main scenic board as per the plan attached.

the hardest part for me is going to be the wiring, so im open to help, tips or anything that can aid my very novice wiring, and hopefully save me from my fathers tuts and sighs at the electrics like he did on charlie street over the Mansfield weekend.

well thats all for now, i will try and keep this as updated as possible, the track is in position but i still need to determine where and what fishplates to use, mainly on the 3 way until things move futher.

as always please give anything in the way of advice, comments etc

regards

Neil

• Like 2

Looks good Neil, Hugh came up with loads of cracking designs anyone would make up into a great layout.

Can't help on the wiring, my worse side as well.

Plenty of ideas come into my head but I don't know what is possible because of electrics, but here's some

1 rotating cctv camera

2 vehicle entering yard through gates and then leaving

3 urban fox moving across back scene

All crazy little ideas but something to make it different from the rest.

Besides my daft ideas I will be keeping up to date with this.

The Mansfield show was a cracking affair, glad I could help mate. Anyway, looking good Neil, I would use a nice urban photo backscene with this one to give it much needed depth. Will work a treat I reckon. My only concern if any is the fuelling road, looks a bit tight for a really long loco like a 60 or 66. You seem to have a little room to extend it a bit before the road though if you need to. As for the wiring, I would just isolate the points completely at the crossing end and then take extra feeds to the sidings. I always find it better to hard wire the point blades so that you no longer have to rely on the switch rails picking up off of the main rails. Gives better running IMO, the three way is a bit more complex though as there are polarity issues where the two opposing switch rails cross each other. Would be simpler to feed the DCC into the toe and leave the switching pick ups to the point. Any issues being stopped by the isolating fishplates. I just don't like to do that!! lol

Whats your plan for the fiddle yard? Cassettes?

As for Torkardlanes ideas, anythings possible, except perhaps breeding 1:76 scale foxes!! The moving cctv camera is a cracking idea though which I may have to blatently steal for Outon Road!!

Cheers

Cav

Nice looking idea/plan there Neil.

For my dcc layout wiring, I use electrofrogs and isolate the V's on each point with a plastic rail joiner and give each siding a power feed. Works for me!

Looking forward to your progress

Cheers

Roger

Hi all, thanks for your comments and tips and ideas.

Cav, great help i think i will do what you suggetested with the 3 way, the fuel road as you rightly said is tight, when i measured the track up i made sure there was room for a 66 and also room for a pair of 20's.

should have my dynamis today as the sale of charlie street has funded this and a few chips to play with.

I have made a start on the road bridge while im waiting for cotrollers and chips, i will have some pics soon, as my laptop is being repaired this week.

I like the idea of the cctv cameras, hope you do fit them cav they will look great on outon road and then you can let me know how you did it :lol: :lol:

i think also as a little cameo would be a speed camera on the overpass bridge with a small flash every now and again and maybe a car with the brake lights that flash on, just an idae at the moment tho.

also Thanks to Cav my stock is looking amazing with detail and weathering , Pics of a EWS 08 to follow this week also ( Thanks again cav for the amazing work).

right its time to get my fingers burnt and then some scratch building for the depot.

The depot building is going to be based loosly on peterborough, mainly because its a single road shed and its only 5 mins from my house for pictures :lol: :lol:

well best get on as iv just commited this project to Mansfield 2012

Thanks again

Neil

Thanks for the shout on the 08, your 09 will be done shortly!!

Looking forward to seeing this layout progress. I wouldn't get too carried away with the car thing though. Cars don't move on layouts so don't brake! Maybe a traffic jam would look better, you can add loads of brake lights there!!!!

Cav

Thanks cav, didnt think of that but a traffic jam sounds a cool idea, cant wait for the 09, especially after how fantastic the 08 is.

Crisis, himate , yep im back, Iv taken some progress shots and some pics of the new stock, unfortunatly my laptop is bust so i cant get the pics on.

quick update, started the work on the scratch bult depot building will have pics soon, taken a few step by steps for a change.

cheers

neil

post-6696-0-98513200-1301173193_thumb.jpgHi all well iv finally taken some pics nd had time to put them on here.

First up is the concrete road bridge, made from card formers that came supporting our new cooker, these were cut to size and simple sprayed with a grey primer then given some weathering powder treatment, still alot of work to do on the actual road and a bit more weathering to the concrete itself.

post-6696-0-62219400-1301173145_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-52873100-1301173167_thumb.jpg

next up is the depot building.

post-6696-0-25368300-1301173184_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-98513200-1301173193_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-74652000-1301173203_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-32499900-1301173223_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-27183700-1301173240_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-85951000-1301173256_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-42769700-1301173266_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-68253400-1301173275_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-77698800-1301173285_thumb.jpg

this was built using 3mm foam board with wills box profile and wills brick applied to the face, i made 4 sections of the section in the photo, 2 for each side.

The brickwork is also on the inside with girders to give the inside a good look.

the front and rear is also made from 3mm foam board and again wills profile sheets.

The roof when finished will be again 3mm foam board with wills corrugated sheets for the finished surface.

inside the depot building will be an inspection pit, and as much detail as i can squeeze in.

And lastly my EWS 08 which has been fantastically weathered and faded by RBE of this site, the pictures dont do it justice as it looks stunning and soon to join it will be an even more stunning mainline 09, thanks for a amazing job cav.

post-6696-0-58043400-1301173322_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-81627900-1301173340_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-40206900-1301173358_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-71438800-1301173375_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-76056400-1301173393_thumb.jpg

well hopefully this weekend will bring point motors fitted and droppers dropped, and a coat of primer on the depot building.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

Coming on well there with the depot building. It's satisfying making buildings yourself and to create something unique. It also allows you to build something to fit and suit your own layout rather than fitting something off the shelf.

The weathering on the 08 looks great.

Mudmagnet.

Hi mudmagnet, its definatly satisfying making something from scratch, i kinda based it on peterborough depot, but as i built it it kind of went away from it a little, but more than anything i wanted it to be easy to view inside as well as out, i really like the ideas you have used on Orchard Road

will keep it updated as i go, thanks for the great comments

i cant take credit for the 08, thats RBE's great work

Cheers

Neil

Coming on a treat that Neil. I'm liking the depot and inspection pits especially. The 08 looks a treat too ;)

Anyway heres a couple of quick photos of your 09 prior to posting back to you.

post-6894-0-47672100-1301296383_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-31957300-1301296405_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cav

• Like 3

WOW Cav that looks awesome, so impressive, thanks so much mate.

little update but no pics yet, the depot building is nearly finished, weathered and windows fitted.

The flooring in the depot is down ready for painting and the wiring is nearly complete, just point motors to wire in when i decide how im going to operate them.

Had a few hours playing with a 57 and a 33 shunting the depot, so much better DCC no switchs and sections etc.

Cheers again to RBE ( cav ) for his amazing weathering and detailing of my locos and i will be sending the rest of my fleet without a doubt, if he has time to do them :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil, really like the look of your depot shed. I agree with MM it is always nice to scratch build something just to make it unique and as you say satisfying too. Good work Sir.

I look forward to seeing more progress. Love the Choppers too!

Great work on the 80 and 09 RBE, I have to say that the weathering on the 09 is very good indeed.

Hi all, im really happy too with the work RBE has done on the 08/09, plenty more locos to come too laugh.giflaugh.gif, next up is the FGW 57602, which im really looking forward to having the RBE treatment if its half as good as the gronks then it will be amazing. Thanks for all the great comments for RBE, he has a great talent.

Right back to the layout, a few updates and pics to go with it.

The retaining wall that goes half way down the layout and the factory/warehouse on the top has ben the main focus and a little detailing inside the depot also.

The retaining wall has back is up, made from 5mm foam boardwith a thin wood frame for support for the upper level, the upper level flooring is also 5mm foamboard covered in p80 sand coloured sand paper to give the view of a gravel path around the foot of the warehouse building.

The warehouse is also made from 5mm foam board ( anyone notice a construction pattern here laugh.giflaugh.gif) and the front covered in box profile sheets, i decided to make the roof flat as the slopped roof made the building look to high and to much like the depot building.

I am not sure yet what colour the warehouse will be, and debaiting which company to be situated in it, maybe wickes or B+Q to add a little colour to the layout.

post-6696-0-94082100-1301916581_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-89082500-1301916595_thumb.jpg

The detail in the depot building has slowly been added, mainly scratchbuilt lockers, benchs and shelves, probably put a piller drill and laith in the opposite side, when lit up i think this will look great.

post-6696-0-63741600-1301916624_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-77293200-1301916630_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-60191700-1301916636_thumb.jpg

I have the dcc wiring all sorted now and locos running smoothly, i had a go at wiring the point motors last night and burnt one out within minutes, so i think an electrical expert maybe called in before i blow anymore up.

post-6696-0-44962300-1301916643_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-26113800-1301916654_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-61771300-1301916661_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the great comments everyone

Cheers

Neil

I think the ext job is lighting and sorting a knightwing fuel point and modifying it a little to take it away from the standard kit.

• Like 5