Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

I drove under the new bridge at Hardengreen today for the first time, only 18 months and we should be able to go over the top, though I don't suppose I will be allowed to drive.

Here's a video I found on Youtube it looks greyt

• RMweb Premium

Two new videao just released by Borders railway.

the first is a time lapse of the big crane being set up and lifting the girders into place.

It's brilliant and I need to watch it again, particularly how they erect the crane.

The other is the latest radio update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uBzOoY7A_s

Jamie

Stow: the to-Edinburgh waiting shelter looks as though it's being preserved in this new-build shot.  How I would love to use that, as commuters did when smelling-of-blue-paint-D6845 tractored in hauling the first train on that morning of legend in September '68:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=46570

Stow: the to-Edinburgh waiting shelter looks as though it's being preserved in this new-build shot.  How I would love to use that, as commuters did when smelling-of-blue-paint-D6845 tractored in hauling the first train on that morning of legend in September '68:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=46570

The drawings on the Borders railway web site might seem to contraindicate retention of this facility. The pedestrian access ramp seems to obliterate it.

The station building is being retained for some as yet unidentified use. A Pub would be handy, in this, one of the driest Borders villages, time to stop of for a pie and couple of pints before continuing the arduous journey north , south or our the hill tae Lauder by cuddy and cart. (Check brakes before descending) I am not sure if this latter public transport facility is being reinstated, it last ran before the completion of the Lauder light railwayin 1901. 

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/media/13255/129713-bam-drg-md-000055.pdf

Fife through services feature in the new franchise specification I understand.

In memory of my late uncle, without whose encouragement in the ways of Death Steam in Lancashire '68 I would possibly never have chosen this path, I will be honoured to catch a train from his latterday adoptive home of The Lang Toun, to Tweedbank, when the railway returns.

• 3 weeks later...

Presentation by Borders Railway project director Hugh Wark to the institute of Civil Engineers.

Interesting to note there will be  passive provision for 4 TPH to Gorebridge with certain structures designed to enable double track. As well as passive provision for electrfication i.e. lowering the track under certain over bridges.

Sound quality is not great

There is a basket weaving interlude. 

I think you will find that the girders over the Gala water are now repainted Hawick green or Holy green, there is must have been a spelling mistake on the tins resulting this obvious error of refering to it as being the colour of certain plants of the Ilex genus.

http://www.ice.org.uk/Events-conferences/Recorded-lectures/Lectures/Borders-Railway

Here is short film I made about Tweedbank. This is my first go at an edited video so apologies if it a bit rough. if you don't like the droning comentary there is a non verbal Mk1 version also available which includes some different scenes. 

I have edited out the swearing that occured when I realised the battery hadn't been charged. At least this means watching will waste a bit less of peoples time

Features real live bird sounds recorded on site

Warning includes moving images of buses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=799qJ_wdGhk

Funny how a helpful suggestion to make the best first impression on new rail users becomes another horror story in the Glasgow Herald.

What next

Glaswegians travellers nightmare over risk from mounted bandits in troubled Border Region. "I saw a man on a horse with a flag, it was like Afghanistan, I was surrounded by vicious looking sheep, I am only glad the line doesn't go as far as the even more lawless lands further south where few people return alive" said be-reived Kelvinside resident.

Actually, I would say I do have a slight degree of agreeing with that article when it refers to Class 158s that aren't up the standard of the Highland refurbished units. ScotRails rather eclectic mix of 158s are starting to show very badly on the inside and many haven't seen a decent refurbishment for a very long time at all.

158701 - 724 Were refurbished by First ScotRail for use on the Highland services, with Grammar Seats that line up with the windows, new internal lighting, new luggage racks. See the Scot-rail website for how a 158 can be refurbished.

158725 - 158741* retain their ex National Express ScotRail interior, which apart from new carpet and a replacement of the original seats with Richmond ones, haven't been touched since the 158s introduction. FSR fitted PA system.

The next batch of 158s were originally due to move to Northern Rail, then went subleased them to FSR before Transport Scotland intervened and they are now assigned to.

158782 is an Ex Central Trains 158 which has stayed with the ScotRail Franchise - This hasn't been touched internally since it's Central Trains days.

158786 & 789 are the Ex SWT pair, which oddly retain their ex SWT First Class section, but the rest of the unit now has ex ATW Chapman seats!

158867 - 158871 are the Ex Wessex Trains units which apart from having there seat covers replaced with ex Nat Ex ScotRail ones, also haven't seen much in the way of interior improvements for a long time. Indeed many of these still have the joint Wessex Trains / Wales & Borders safety notices in them - very handy for a Welshman in Scotland!

* With the exception of 158737 which is now SWT's 158880

So I can see their point to some extent!

Hello

There are a couple of quite smart 158s that currently serve Waverley and occasionally the brunstane/ newcraighall section, so it wouldn't necessarily be too bad.

From a purely selfish perspective, if they are going to use some older stock than the 170s, I'd rather they went for the 156s, as you can get 6 bicycles on them, and I do tend to think that there may be a measurable demand from us city types to chuck a bike onto the train and get out beyond the city grot before getting into the cycling...

Mind these are both 2 car units as opposed to the 3 car 170s.

Roll on June- I officially transfer to Millerhill to cover the supply and transfer to site of the 90,000+ sleepers and rail for the project and can't wait to get stuck in. Just a few weeks on the High Output train to get over with first...

• RMweb Gold

Roll on June- I officially transfer to Millerhill to cover the supply and transfer to site of the 90,000+ sleepers and rail for the project and can't wait to get stuck in. Just a few weeks on the High Output train to get over with first...

HI Ian,

I know someone who is transporting hgv wagons loads of sleepers to Millerhill - ready for you to move up the route!

So far - 1 weeks worth at 3 loads a day......

Looks like there will be a big pile waiting for you to start.

Thanks

There's going to be an average of between 2 & 4,000 sleepers being delivered every week until around the beginning of August so there will be quite a bit of concrete to shift! Hopefully some track will be getting put down in the not too distant future....

Once again another video this time it features the opportunities to extend beyond Tweedbank. How to get round the Eildon Hills where most of the development has taken place. I have started from the Hawick end at Charlesfield part 2 will go round the Melrose bypass. Further parts may follow from Hawick to Charlesfield unless I get bored with being a TV executive. Now where did I put that big cigar.

version 2 typo fixed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odb6S1eLB5E

Neapolitan cutting treatment, anyone?

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=47089

Note: Neapolitan ice cream is made up of blocks of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream side by side in the same container. Some brands intermix the flavours more, though the separate flavours are still clearly visible. It says here.

• RMweb Premium

There are two good articles in this months Modern Railways about the project.  One about the progress and one by David Spaven bemoaning the shortsightedness of some of the structuire design to make it more difficult to double track it later.

There is also a new You Tube videa with a further radio programme about the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXQ_2aG2IM

Jamie

Archived