London Bridge re-development

• RMweb Gold

The scaffold deck over the platforms is now complete and a good part of the trainshed roof has now been removed. You can tell where from standing on the platforms when it rains!!

I tried to get an elevated location to photo the partly dismantled roof but so far not succeeded. Will try again in next few days.

However here are a few shots of the concourse area showing the newly opened temporary ticket office and the remaining parts of the 1970's concourse now closed off to the public and in the course of demolition.

post-1557-0-17808400-1355231758_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-67551700-1355231767_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-27636600-1355231779_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-86195000-1355231789_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos of London Bridge. new steelwork is now being erected on the platforms for new canopies once the overall roof and crash deck is removed. I thought that these platforms (9 and 10) were due to go so maybe this is just a temporary canopy but looks very substantial for a temporary one. The same sort of structure is also being erected on platforms 11 and 12.

post-1557-0-84063000-1355922827_thumb.jpg

The shot below was taken today from the barrier line on the concourse of the last remaining curved roof sections under demolition.

post-1557-0-94586600-1355922858_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As it is a sunny day..the day before the supposed snow storm I decided to go and take some update photos of the station redevelooment.

It the first time I have been followed by somw one (well that I know anyway) and I am sure this chap in a hi vis jacket with STELLAR who I presume is security for the Shard, was taking photos of me despite plenty of other people with cameras taking photos.

Anyway I am still here but just a word of warning for others!

Here are the top secret shots of the bit of station that wont be there soon (well except for that biG glass bit)!!

Ian

post-1557-0-18259600-1358427322_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-01692700-1358427416_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-73822500-1358427496_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Oh definitely.

The trains shed roof has all but gone and the new / temporary canopies under the cash deck are getting temporary lights at the moment so this scaffold crash deck will no doubt be coming down very soon then the wing walls will go.

I noticed tonight that all the third rail insulator pots to platform 9 have been changed under the covered area, presumably because they will be open to the weather very soon.

The bus station will be shut for some weeks to come. It has been shut since just before Christmas.

Ian

Photos of the roof being dismantled seem to be rather scarce, especially when developments in the immediate vicinity are some of the most photographed in London.

Photographers have been swarming to the London Bridge Station area for a couple of years, but somehow nobody has been putting photos of the roof coming off, onto the 'net.

Here's one link from today.

One from a week ago.

• RMweb Gold

I also took a few pics there on Thursday,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157632556184415/

I was impressed with the way they moved the lorry on to the booking hall demolition site with little fuss. A handful of people with tape barriers to hold back the pedestrians for a minimal delay all round.

Thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Kev

They are relocating the furthest platform first towards St Thomas Street and the signalling centre then they will close platfosrm 8-11 which will eventually form part of the new through platforms hence the temporary nature of the canopies.

There will be a few periods in 2014 when the whole of the terminal side will be shut. Not looking forward to that but the SOutheastern side will be shut for a much longer period after that.

Ian

The plans seem to be for the southeastern side to be shut in phases - first that no Charing Cross trains will stop there and then no Cannon Street trains, over a period of about 4 years (2 years each, but no exact dates yet). I assume that in both cases, the trains will pass straight through. As I work in Tooley Street this will be an inconvenience in that the Cannon Street trains from Sidcup go via Lewisham and are slower and less frequent - and don't start at Sidcup (hence less chance of a seat).

But if there are no trains in the terminal side for some time, that will be far worse for people who use those platforms. What will happen to the terminating trains during those periods?

• RMweb Premium

In view of the volume of traffic that uses the terminus platforms during peak times, closure (at worst) or reduction in capacity (at best) will have a massive impact. Rumours abound amongst the commutors (who are notorious for this) about what will happen over the next couple of years. Sadly Southern in particular seem unable to provide any useful information on which trains will be diverted and to where; surely they must have some indication by now...especially when some of these changes will be taking effect at the May timetable change. 

A lot of people use the station, and thus far all the information (from a Southern point of view) we have seen is how whizzy and great the finished product will be in five year's time. We know that Worst Crapital Connect services will be re-routed away from London Bridge to snail their way through the metro network via Hern Hill (some already do so) from 2014, but what of the direct peak-only Southern trains, for example the 6;57 from Bognor?

• RMweb Gold

There aren't really many options, are there? Central trains, including that Bognor (is it 1Y03, a successor to the 0649 of 40 years ago?) tend to get transferred to Victoria - because the crews all have knowledge, but City people won't enjoy that. If crews could be trained, there might be a few paths available via Herne Hill to Blackfriars, calling at Elephant, but then there are conflicts with Chatham services at Herne Hill, so perhaps some of those would have to be diverted up the Catford Loop and even the Atlantic, spreading the misery a little further.

All sitting in someone's "too difficult" pile, I suspect

• RMweb Premium

The 06:57 Bognor and Southampton Central to London Bridge (the rear four cars from Southampton attach at Barnham) is one of my regular turns runs as headcode 1C90 these days.  It and the other Sussex Coast city trains to London Bridge (05:53 and 06:31 off Littlehampton all of which seem to have been with a few minutes difference and the odd variation been running in some form or other since the late 1930's!) are apparently still going to continue to run throughout all of this.

Presumably there is a plan for some sort of phased moving about, the current surburban lower level terminal platforms will be extended for a starter, move the rush hour trains over to that will then free the 8/9/10 platforms for the rebuilding works to commence over on that side.  Of course that leaves the question of what to do with the displaced surburban Southern services (all be it now minus the South London Line trains now that they are Overground) and the Uckfield's.

FCC can go around and bypass London Bridge altogether which will not be a popular move but then again no one really cares about FCC anyway...

Train stabling on the terminal platforms can now be done away with the recomissioning of the Selhurst field sidings due to be completed fairly soon now and I have been told that there will be turn back facilities at New Cross Gate if any problems arise at London Bridge so that trains can be terminated there instead, everyone chucked off onto alternative routes (Overground presumably) then into the siding and back out the other way.

The new "up sussex loop" at New Cross Gate is being commisioned on the weekend of the 18th march 2013. There will also be a turnback facility provided at South Bermondsey to be commisioned at a future date.The new Tanners Hill doubling is to be commisioned at Easter.

These are all prep works to allow the redevelopment to take place. Once under way the only way to get to Charing Cross from Lewisham will be to go over the flyover. The crossover at Spa Road will be taken out of work whilst the redevelopment is under way and the new fly under at Blue Anchor is built to take the Kent services under the FCC services.

Also some pictures from behind platform 16 where the final parts of the roof are being removed and the outer wall to st Thomas's street is being demolished.

post-3252-0-60704400-1362859831_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-87962000-1362859840_thumb.jpg

Paul

These are all prep works to allow the redevelopment to take place. Once under way the only way to get to Charing Cross from Lewisham will be to go over the flyover. The crossover at Spa Road will be taken out of work whilst the redevelopment is under way and the new fly under at Blue Anchor is built to take the Kent services under the FCC services.

Does this mean that there will be no Greenwich- Charing Cross services during this period or will the Spa Road crossover removal be permanent?

Anyone know where to find a track diagram of these works? And one for Three Bridges - Gatwick where there is huge amount of change imminent.

Its so strange to see so much extra railway going in everywhere and the reflections on Beeching I keep seeing in the press. I got home last night and back into London Bridge again this morning from deepest snow drift Sussex with no problems at all. Three cheers Southeastern in the snow. Just a small amount of pity for the poor souls on the A21 and A23!

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't so good yesterday and this morning on Southern with a person hit at Horley last night, signal failures and then the snow (also got caught Friday night after a funeral on the Arun valley line after a person was hit near Crawley then a broken down freight train Saturday near Fareham all added to frustrating journeys for me). FCC were in much the same boat though! 

More of the temporary scaffold structure has gone in the last few days particularly over platforms 9 - 11. It show just how open to the elements the platofrms are going to be for the coming months till the platforms are realigned and the permanent canopies are installed.

Will try and get some more shots tonight.

Ian

Archived