London Bridge re-development

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I noticed that more of the old train shed columns had been removed so I thought that I better get a few shots of the last remaining three columns. Glad I did as they went overnight - they are no more!

ll that is left are the lower parts of the old brick walls either side of the roof.

post-1557-0-02674400-1367578900_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-12846200-1367578907_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Last night after a few beers  there was some sunshine about on the newly exposed platforms so I took these.

Why are they providing those benches for commuters to do press-ups? Wouldn't some seats be more useful?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This weekend platforms 14 to 16 close ready for building the new platforms on a new alignment. From this weekend there will only be 6 terminal platforms left even once all the work is finished in 2018.

The signage will change on platforms 11 and 12 plus all the other rmeianing platforms even if just a  blank sticker over them.

post-1557-0-36326600-1368791589_thumb.jpg

Looking across from platform 12 towards platforms 14 to 16.

post-1557-0-97385500-1368791791_thumb.jpg

Platforms 14 to 16 with a service arriving into platform 15.

post-1557-0-16366200-1368791694_thumb.jpg

Platforrms 13 and 14 looking towards the concourse

post-1557-0-82089400-1368791748_thumb.jpg

A service arriving into platform 12

post-1557-0-71025000-1368791821_thumb.jpg

Platforms 12 and 13

post-1557-0-03825000-1368791852_thumb.jpg

The South side of the station with all that is left of the trainshed wall in Thomas Street.

post-1557-0-60318900-1368791912_thumb.jpg

What is happening to 14 to 16?  As far as I'm aware there will still be platforms in this location with the same numbers in the final scheme, the main change being that terminating platforms 8-10 will be replaced by new through platforms with no change to the total number.  I notice on the Quail map that 14-16 are a bit shorter so are these being lengthened to allow for more intensive use when there are fewer terminating platforms available in the future? 

• RMweb Gold

My understanding is that the new terminal platforms will be partly  rebuilt on these existing ones to a different alignment and further over. the new furthest platform will remian shorter until the signal centre is decomissioned at some time in the future as it is in the way of this platform. The other two will be 12 car. Once these platforms are rebuilt the others will be closed and rebuilt further over towards these new ones.

Terminal platforms 8 to 11 will then go and be rebuilt as through platforms. 

I am not sure what the final numbers will be of all the platforms.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Coo - I haven't looked out of the windows of the box since 1976! I did pass LB on an up SE service the other day, and it all looks very stark. The box, however, now looks as if it's been there forever. A far cry from the day in 1973 when the signalmen in the old box reported that there was "a fiery dragon" in the shell of the new box being built behind them, this turning out to be a device for drying concrete!

• RMweb Gold

This morning it was very wet walking along the platforms to the concourse - even rain dripping in between the buffer stops and the barriers.

The footbridge has now been truncated to platforms 11 and 12, no longer serving platform 13. There is a hoarding up along platform 13 blocking off access to platform 14.

Its also very windy waiting for a train when the wind is up.

I know its temporary but it will be 5 years before all the work is completed and I doubt that the new canopies will combat the wind issue (even if they ban passengers from eating beans!!).

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thats good news. The way it was being cut down I thought it had gone to the scrap men, so a nice surprise that some of it will be reused.

Currently,all of the old ticket hall has gone and the South eastern entrance next to it is now closed until next year. Where the shops were on the old terminal concourse has now virtually gone and you can now see the South eastern platforms from the new concourse.

Not had chance to take any photos recently as the weather has not been favorable.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

It seems the crowd control for directing passengers between the through and terminus platforms from the overhead walkway crossing Tooley street has been nicked from a field! Lots of metal fencing and gates. I know us commutors are often likened to cattle, but that is really ramming the point home!

It seems the crowd control for directing passengers between the through and terminus platforms from the overhead walkway crossing Tooley street has been nicked from a field! Lots of metal fencing and gates. I know us commutors are often likened to cattle, but that is really ramming the point home!

sounds like the fencing they used at London bridge during the Olympics.

The footbridge over Tooley Street is now only of use if you want to go into the station - they have moved the gateline so it is no longer possible to walk up it and then alongside the station to where the bus station was - and back over Tooley Street to a small walk of shops (Richer Sounds, Cards Galore, a shoe repairers etc)

• RMweb Premium

About the only thing left is the 1980's footbridge which looks like since the roof has been taken off that it is being held up with duct tape, bits of Meccano, skyhooks and prayer, oh and whilst they are about it, how about losing that tall glass white elephant eyesore that someone has put there as well...  :butcher:

I have to say the 1970s/80s plastic Lego footbridge was never likely to achieve a design award even when new. I can't imagine anyone mourning its passing although any shelter during wet weather is better than none I guess.

Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I have to say the 1970s/80s plastic Lego footbridge was never likely to achieve a design award even when new. I can't imagine anyone mourning its passing although any shelter during wet weather is better than none I guess.

Pete.

It was heaps better than what was there before, which didn't even span the whole station! Getting from the SE to the Central was a much more difficult affair, as people tended to find out when the Cat/Tatt had terminated on the Central instead of coming from Charing Cross and they were in a hurry! The 1976 BTF London Bridge video describes the old layout as confused and confusing, which is fair.

I'll have to try and find some pics or info on what was there before the current footbridge. I appreciate the ease of a direct connection between Central and South Eastern (which is the most important thing for the traveller who doesn't care what a footbridge looks like!), I just don't personally like the modern "clip together" construction materials!

There were two footbridges. One of them was for the South Eastern platforms only (in those days 1 - 7 there was no number 5), the other one crossed into the Greenwich and presumably the Croydon stations. I'm guessing here, but I think it was the country end and used the same hole as the Lego bridge.

Who else remembers the train indicators, where NORTH KENT meant via Lewisham and Woolwich and the DARTFORD LOOP meant via Sidcup. Commuters were expected to know their railway in those days.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Who else remembers the train indicators, where NORTH KENT meant via Lewisham and Woolwich and the DARTFORD LOOP meant via Sidcup. Commuters were expected to know their railway in those days.

Modern commuters are quite savvy when it comes to today's railways. Often in the details...so (for example) many Southern commuters know the seating layouts of a 377 from the unit number (you see them move positions on the platform when 377101-119 show up (2+2 seating throughout), and sometimes hear an audible groan when it is 377120 - 139 (3+2 seating in the main part of all four carriages). They also have a reasonable knowledge of the local rail network - enabling ad hoc diversions and train changes as and when required.

Perhaps it is more of a case of 'know your enemy'!

• RMweb Gold

There were two footbridges. One of them was for the South Eastern platforms only (in those days 1 - 7 there was no number 5), the other one crossed into the Greenwich and presumably the Croydon stations. I'm guessing here, but I think it was the country end and used the same hole as the Lego bridge.

I'm not sure there was any footbridge link through to the Croydon platforms. I think it stopped at the Low Level, whence one had to go via the concourse to access the Croydon side. Again, in the BTF film, specific mention is made of the breaching of the side wall, as an enabler for the new 1976 footbridge. As for the Dartford Loop, there used to be a man at Waterloo East platform A who announced incoming trains from Charing Cross - and "Loop Line! Loop Line!" was one of his cries.

I'm not sure there was any footbridge link through to the Croydon platforms. I think it stopped at the Low Level, whence one had to go via the concourse to access the Croydon side. Again, in the BTF film, specific mention is made of the breaching of the side wall, as an enabler for the new 1976 footbridge. As for the Dartford Loop, there used to be a man at Waterloo East platform A who announced incoming trains from Charing Cross - and "Loop Line! Loop Line!" was one of his cries.

Something lost with all the automatic announcements! I miss the announcements at Mottingham as the train pulled in; "It's yer old Charing Crosser".

Archived