Farish WD 2-8-0

TomE

It did look very impressive. I'd hoped to get in there first with my pictures in the cabinet but this one is much better.

I spoke to the gent on the Bachmann stand. This is the first painted sample which landed at Barwell on friday.

WD is due May/June and Standard 5 June/July (so one imagines they'll be aiming for TINGS which could be very expensive).

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham.

It made a very fleeting visit to highbury before the show opened! I didn't get chance to speak with the rep really, but I'm glad you did and thanks for the approximate dates. I was hoping the 5MT would be a bit sooner, but not to worry! Maybe we'll see painted examples of that at Doncaster?

Here's another shot of the WD:

IMG_1130b.jpg

It does look lovely.

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

As Tom said it looked very nice and not too out of place on the colliery. I think they tried them on the S&D but like a number of other classes they tried, they could pull a train up one side of the Mendips, but struggled stopping them coming down the other side.

There are some more pictures on my Highbury thread along with a few other visitors.

Jerry

I notice it has both the fireiron rack on the tender side and the fireiron tunnel on the loco running board. I think the tunnel was only fitted to locos allocated to the Western region, but I can't remember if these locos also had the tender rack removed. Can anyone help? And does the number on the loco indicate one which was allocated to the Western? Or is this a sort of prototype on which farish are bolting everything to make sure it fits?

Alan

Or is this a sort of prototype on which farish are bolting everything to make sure it fits?

Possibly but this sort of thing is worth checking. One of the reasons manufacturers display prototypes is to that sharp-eyed fans can help spot things like this.

I do not know much about the WDs so I cannot comment. My advice would be to do a bit of research and check if your initial hunch is correct. If it is then send the facts to Dennis Lovett at Bachmann in a polite letter/email (prefferably including scans of the supporting evidence).

• RMweb Premium

The OO version of 90201 has the fire-iron tunnel on the loco and not the tender - I'm guessing the model in the pictures is an early production run or review item which has had it's tender swapped with another model.

Still worth dropping Bachmann an email to double check.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Minor observation, but the coal load is interesting - not the bulbous uniform pile we frequently get, but instead a realistic sloping load going down at the front. I hope that's not just a wonky fit (!) and that this will make it into production.

• RMweb Gold

Minor observation, but the coal load is interesting - not the bulbous uniform pile we frequently get, but instead a realistic sloping load going down at the front. I hope that's not just a wonky fit (!) and that this will make it into production.

This is because the motor will be in the loco, not the tender although this was just a livery sample so had no motor at all. Bachmann had samples of all three liveries for aproval (don't ask me what the other two are) which were heading off for Germany to a toy fair on the monday after the Leamington show.

Jerry

VERY nice- though that is definitely a Western one with the over-generously sized top feed as well. Coal looks good, nice to see a partly empty tender.

Hopefully the more usual version without fireiron tunnel but with top feed uncovered and pipe to it well proud of the boiler cladding is also in the pipeline somewhere. There is an expensive book out there by J.Hooper- "The WD 2-8-0 the BR Record" which has literally hundreds of pictures showing a lot of the variations.

This WD was obviously a shed pet- clean and with decent coal as opposed to the dust the WD seemed to thrive on/throw all over the landscape...........

Looking forward to a pair of these, and, it seems enough time for my wallet to recover from A3s before being hit by 2MTs and J39s..

Les

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For those waiting for the WD, it's now showing as due within 60 days on the Bachmann website. Hopefully The 5MT is not far behind!

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

VERY nice- though that is definitely a Western one with the over-generously sized top feed as well. Coal looks good, nice to see a partly empty tender.

Hopefully the more usual version without fireiron tunnel but with top feed uncovered and pipe to it well proud of the boiler cladding is also in the pipeline somewhere. There is an expensive book out there by J.Hooper- "The WD 2-8-0 the BR Record" which has literally hundreds of pictures showing a lot of the variations.

This WD was obviously a shed pet- clean and with decent coal as opposed to the dust the WD seemed to thrive on/throw all over the landscape...........

Looking forward to a pair of these, and, it seems enough time for my wallet to recover from A3s before being hit by 2MTs and J39s..

Les

I hear you on the wallet. A4, followed by A3.... Now GCR Station buildings. I may skip the 5MT, but will definately pick up the WD and the J39. Blue Peter would be a nice addition as well. Too many good models being released! Great time to be an N Gauger.

• 3 weeks later...

My weathered one arrived this morning.

It is a stunning looking loco.

What sets it apart for me though is the performance. The mechanism is ultra smooth running and totally silent (all you can hear is wheels on rails and over rail joints). Even before running in properly it can go down to a really slow crawl and sustain it. Naturally haulage capacity is as yet untested, but hopefully 25 or so wagons which is the max my layout acommodates will be well within capability.

The only tiny gripe I have is that a little bit of the weathering had rubbed off the boiler somehow, but i'm not sending it back for that. Anyway in reality I guess werhering would not be uniform there could easily have been patches of paint uncovered by fitters crawling round on them.

The best British N steam loco yet? As an overall package yes, I'd say so given the performance especially(but then I was perfectly happy with the tender driven locos like the B1 and A1), but I keenly await the Standard Five which I have on order.

Roy

post-4469-0-69489600-1343468178.jpg

I received my WD this morning, I had opted for the least expensive option from Rails at £98.50, as i prefer to weather locos myself, having seen some recent factory 'weathered' locos, which have required additional work to complete the job! ( mostly the sections the factory missed!)

The loco runs silently smoothly and very slowly straight from the box, I have attached a couple of rough photos of it on our unitrack test tracks!

I will hopefuly fit a decoder later and post my further impressions , I do not that the instructions states the tender has 4 retaining screws on one page, whilst another page states 2 screws......... we shall see!!

I fitted a decoder a this afternoon no problems encountered, there are 4 screws which secure the tender body, the tender body seperates from the chassis easily and the whole job takes around 10 mins. including initial test before refitting the body.

The loco runs extremely well on digital, I have been running it for a couple of hours now, I found it very capable of hauling long trains at scale speeds ( ie long freights at scale 25MPH which I was familiar with in my Stockport train spotting days, when the WDs hauled coal trains from the Yorkshire coal fields)

As far as whether this is the best UK outline steam loco yet for N gauge, I am sure it ranks amongst the best, it is certainly better ( smoother & quieter) than some other recently released N Gauge locos I have observed!

I would say it is almost as good as the latest KATO Japanese outline steam locos.

Its good to see the improvements continuing with British N Gauge, I cant help remembering what things were like when I built my first N Gauge layout around 1970!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve and Roy for your notes above. It's reassuring to hear that the performance seems to be an improvement over the tender drive.

I have no need for a WD, or at least that's what I keep telling myself, but I do have a Std 5 on order and can't wait for it to arrive now!

Tom.

Archived