Model Rail Limited Editions news

dibber25

Just had a word with Ben (J). We have seen a painted sample of the Trans-Pennine Class 47 a while ago, so our GUESStimate would be between 8 weeks and the end of the year. That is NOT guaranteed! Often, we don't get to know what's come until we hear that Kernow is sending them out to customers!

CHRIS LEIGH

The earliest date for the batch of standard release 47s on the Bachmann website is Oct/Nov. My guess would be that the MR 47 will be part of the same batch and be available to the same timelines because Bachmann seem to work this way. So keeping an eye on the Bachmann website to see if this date slips might not be a bad indication.

How does the height of the white/light blue stripes compare to a blue/grey Mk2? Just wondered as they look a little high and looking at pictures, the top of the white stripe should be the same height as the bottom of the grey band on a blue/grey one. Just wondered before I buy a pack!

No idea, I'm afraid, and I don't have access to any models to check.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Ah well. I guess that project must have been dropped. I can remember that Model Rail were going to do the WCRC 47 - even appeared in the Bachmann Collecter's Club mag saying one was to be done but a magazine was commissioning it and then Model Rail had eluded to it in parts as well - but this was a year or two, maybe more ago. What with the ammount of trains WCRC do, that and the fact that their engines are notoriously popular for modern image but not released by Bachmann in 47 (Vi trains did a 47 and Hornby but the Bachmann one is best - you must agree as your own limited eds are Bachmann), and now 57 form (as you did release the 37 and Heljan have a standard release for class 33) - putting those together for a double pack and a few maroon Mk. 1s could follow in the wake of your Transpennine releases.

If however, your not going to do this then Id start the project of doing them myself. But Id rather not have it that you end up commissioning them following my raising the idea and then starting the job myself only to find them done as a limited ed later. Something to do with cutting turf and legislation that isnt it?

Don't start any work yet - remember I'm at home and don't have anyone to check with. I no longer have my finger on the pulse of what we're doing, so when I say 'no plans that I'm aware of" that doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means I don't know of any. Various ideas get kicked around and some don't take root for a very long time. We certainly did talk about a 47, and the 57 sold out so it would sound like a project with reasonable potential. We would be unlikely to do a pair, though, as it would be impractical for Bachmann to produce two different models at the same time. We also find twin-packs of locos tend to be too expensive.

CHRIS LEIGH

I assumed a WCRC Class 47 had not yet been produced by Bachmann (either as a L/E or a standard release) because the requisite tooling options weren't yet available. However, Bachmann has been progressively "modernising" its Class 47 tooling and were are now promised Crewe cut versions. So perhaps a WCRC version can now be commissioned, especially since there are so many 47s to choose from it should be possible to identify one with cabs, underframe and roof details catered for by Bachmann's tooling.

I assumed a WCRC Class 47 had not yet been produced by Bachmann (either as a L/E or a standard release) because the requisite tooling options weren't yet available. However, Bachmann has been progressively "modernising" its Class 47 tooling and were are now promised Crewe cut versions. So perhaps a WCRC version can now be commissioned, especially since there are so many 47s to choose from it should be possible to identify one with cabs, underframe and roof details catered for by Bachmann's tooling.

Of the current engines used by WCRC quite a few I think could be done as a limited edition by Model Rail following on from their successful run of the WCRC 37, 37248 and 57601 before. Like other releases by the magazine they tend to stick to a theme, such as satlink stock and Regional Railways or transpennine. WCRC have been a theme for engines in the past and the possibility of stock and engines is there to be done.

37's sees a few possibilities, 37706 I think would be the same as the flush front 37/5s that have been modelled recently, following Rail Express Mags use of comissioning the 37/5 flush front for a DRS machine, 37510. Others could be 37685, which is in maroon and could be a model akin to 37672 released before.

Of the recent purchases by WCRC, 57001, 5 and 6 have been purchased for the company following the collapse of Advenza freight. As a result, these are the same as the recent freightliner and DRS machines made and just need an application of WCRC maroon. No doubt Bachmann might already be looking at this as a future release. 57005 is currently not operational.

Of the class 47s, a few have been former class 47/8's and renumbered back. I would expect that the tooling used to make the recent 47/8's in Intercity and Res, would be a match for a current WCRC machine. 47500 now used by WCRC was a former 47/8, reverting to its former Western region number. 47760 would be the same as a RES machine, though run without the cables for PCV stock.

Bachmanns Mk.1 and a Mk. 1 Pullmans would also be a match for current stock used by the company on the network. So there are numerous possibilities to model WCRC stuff but it would be helpful knowing if any would be selected so that I and others could get the WCRC machines done my the magazines and then do other options ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...

From the review of Bachmann's SR 25T 'Pillbox' brake van in the current issue of Model Rail (no. 174 October 12):

"Model Rail is working with Bachmann to produce a limited edition 'Pillbox' brake van in 1980's/90's Satlink red/yellow. The expected release date for this model is 2013. Advance orders are not yet being taken. Prices and delivery dates will be revealed as soon as they are confirmed"

• 1 month later...

My 47475 arrived from the postman a few hours ago and it's chipped and running round as I type.

I'm really pleased with it and look forward to Model Rail's future batch of Pennine TSOs so I can run a full TP rake behind it.

Mobtion seconded, more Trans Pennine TSO's and perhaps a BG please.

• 2 weeks later...

Bachmann has found a handful of our DRS Class 37s literally just eight of each sound and silent. They'll be on the Model Rail stand at Warley on Saturday. Strictly first come first served - when they're gone they're gone and please don't even ask if you can have more than one.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

New edition of Model Rail, the sub copy of which just made a heavy flump as it hit my front hall carpet just now announced a new Model Rail Ltd Edition, a Euro Cargo Rail (ECR) branded EWS Class 66. Fails to mention whether it is N or OO scale though!! If the latter I'll take two... :sungum:

Pairs of locos are too expensive. We did it once and aren't likely to do it again. Would be a shame to filth over all that nice lettering, too. Bachmann look to be doing an excellent job on lettering this one for us although I believe the striped buffers may have defeated them.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived