Model Rail Limited Editions news

dibber25

Worth noting the news item in the current Model Rail regarding the Hornby BBMF Class 91. This model is delayed indefinitely due to Hornby's production problems. Customer orders remain on file and we will make a further announcement as soon as there is anything to report. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience, due to circumstances beyond ours and Hornby's control.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

BUMP

Received my ECR 66062 courtesy of Model Rail / Kernow today.

In related limited edition news also received my 66745 courtesy of Modern Railways

Yet to closely inspect both for number of rivets.

Any on eBay yet?  :scratchhead:

Cheers,

Mick

Igor, 

Model Rail issue 190, page 7:  D6510  green sywp.

Prices and advanced ordering details will be announced in MR 191, to be published 26th Dec, which is an expansion of the very brief detail I gave in my OP!

Richard 

I can't see anything in Model Rail 191 about this, apart from a mention in the list of planned liveries on page 13 (unless I haven't looked carefully enough). Does anyone know any more about the MR limited edition?

Keith

I can't see anything in Model Rail 191 about this, apart from a mention in the list of planned liveries on page 13 (unless I haven't looked carefully enough). Does anyone know any more about the MR limited edition?

Keith

There is no more to add at this time. We don't have any further information at present.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just had a quick look in "A History of British Railways Diesel and Electric Locomotive Liveries - Malcolm Dyer, Diesel and Electric Group, pub 1979" which states:

D6500 to 6597, now Class 33.  

Initial Livery was identical to D5300 (i.e. Class 26).

These are said to be standard green with pale cream window surrounds and a pale cream band.

Note - In the same publication the Class 31s are stated as having a white band when new.

The only colour photo in my collection leavers me uncertain about Class 33s, it looks cream but the slide from which the scan was taken was rather faded.

David

A very minor point on what otherwise looks like a cracking model.  It's also possible the bodyshell may have been moulded in white plastic ? On prototypes an "off-white" colour was used, somewhere between a true white and a cream colour. Railmatch Rail White RM 203 being a similar shade.

HTH

I used to see them every day and I remember them as white, though they were usually dirty so it would be difficult to tell. It certainly wasn't the same colour as the duck egg blue on the Hymeks. This is a pre-production sample and I'll do some more research on this point. If it proves to be pale cream, I'm sure Heljan will do their best to match it for us.

CHRIS LEIGH

I used to see them every day and I remember them as white, though they were usually dirty so it would be difficult to tell. It certainly wasn't the same colour as the duck egg blue on the Hymeks. This is a pre-production sample and I'll do some more research on this point. If it proves to be pale cream, I'm sure Heljan will do their best to match it for us.

CHRIS LEIGH

Looking at this, I'd say it's more an off-white/very pale cream than a pure white ? compare to the "white" running numbers

• RMweb Gold

This is the only "period" colour photo I have of a Class33.

post-5613-0-45993500-1389208664_thumb.jpg

Dad's notes say:

Corby Glen BRCW Type 3 (i.e.now Class 33) possibly D6541

up light engine April 1963.  Ilfochrome slide film 1/125 f5.6.

If the white piece on the back of the ground signal is white then the loco stripe and windows look an off white, almost a creamy milk colour.

Hope this is some help 

David

Edited to correct my spelling once again.

• RMweb Premium

MR has responded to the "white" comment (which also questions the shade of green used) by suggesting it is harsh studio lighting responsible for the appearance of the colours.  I will accept that to a  degree but with the rider that an illustration which appears to show the model in questionable colour shades is likely to generate a measure of adverse comment and at the least some discussion.  The latter is occurring here.

I remember these locos in their original livery styles.  The cab surrounds and waistband were a pale cream (milk, off-white or similar if you like) but were not white.

Some faded with wear to appear white just as green, maroon and other livery colours faded with exposure to sunlight and after numbers acid-assisted mechanical washes.  

The image BR(S) links to shows exactly the colours I remember and when a sheet of white paper is held against the screen for reference the areas in question do not look white at all.

MR has responded to the "white" comment (which also questions the shade of green used) by suggesting it is harsh studio lighting responsible for the appearance of the colours.  I will accept that to a  degree but with the rider that an illustration which appears to show the model in questionable colour shades is likely to generate a measure of adverse comment and at the least some discussion.  The latter is occurring here.

Ok. Point made. I have said in Post 419 that we'll look at it again - and we will. Can we please, now, drop the subject. The point about lighting related to the shade of green (which is the same as other Heljan BR green locos) - the lining and window surrounds on the sample model ARE white. I will also check what Heljan did on their Class 26 and 27 models as I don't recall these receiving 'adverse comment' and presumably all the similar BRCW diesels were turned out in the same colours. The Marsden book 'The Cromptons' refers to the colour as 'off-white' but otherwise it is amazing how many supposed 'livery' books actually don't mention much about colours at all and merely repeat the historical aspects of the introduction of diesels! Books that don't do what they say on the cover!

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived