Model Rail Limited Editions news

dibber25

• RMweb Premium

Looking at this, I'd say it's more an off-white/very pale cream than a pure white ? compare to the "white" running numbers

That is a preserved loco, so you need to know if that finish is as built.  I don't think it is, the off-white has too much green tint in it in my opinion. (Having also seen it "in the flesh" at the West Somerset)

• RMweb Gold

Model Rail today posted a factory-decorated sample of D6510, which will be their mag's limited edition

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151919134273207

858663_10151919134273207_1476170495_o.jp

Richard

What are those thin white lines around the characters of the headcode? They should not be there, as reference to any of the prototype pictures will show.

What are those thin white lines around the characters of the headcode? They should not be there, as reference to any of the prototype pictures will show.

For some reason, Heljan always included some with the white surrounds on the headcode sheet supplied with the model.  I assume they will include the interchangeable paper ones still and prototypical ones will be included on the sheet.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed they should not be there but as noted Heljan has always included them on these and other classes with user-inserted headcodes. They can be masked with a mapping pen or other fine marker though I found a black felt-tip showed as purple when the internal light came on and looked worse.  Or you can just leave them as they are and suggest they are light leaking around well-worn head code rollers.  That happened as often as not although wasn't visible in daylight.

• RMweb Premium

That is a preserved loco, so you need to know if that finish is as built.  I don't think it is, the off-white has too much green tint in it in my opinion. (Having also seen it "in the flesh" at the West Somerset)

Having also seen the loco on the WSR I have to agree.  The "off white" is not creamy but faintly green.  It's a long time since I saw a green sywp Crompton in service (D6559 was the last in around 1972 IIRC);  the heritage version applied to 33008 looked authentic apart from the very non-original "Eastleigh" nameplates!

Reference here http://tomcurtisrailgallery.weebly.com/uploads/6/9/0/3/6903499/d650827091992.jpg and many other published views

I mentioned this on the Heljan thread: Price has jumped a bit.

Heljan original £79 - Recent re-runs £89 - Rex's proposed upgrade £99 - Heljan revamp £119 - Model Rail special £126

I am surprised it is £30 more expensive than the new Heljan ones already discounted pre-order in places, and £7 more than these model's advertised RRP

Kernow description says 8-pin DCC (same as old model) Has anything changed under the body or is the MR spec higher?

Regards

Igor

attachment=368475:D6591 Hither Green April 69 Slide 468.jpg]post-4697-0-43224200-1389471926_thumb.jpg

I agree. The cab surrounds and lining should be the same shade of white as the running numbers.

For the sake of further clarity i have attached 3 images I have taken over the years and shows how the white can change colour once a coating of brake dust has settled on it as in the image of D6551.

The last image shows D6515 as preserved highlighting the difference in colours in relation to the running numbers. However this locomotive has had a superb restoration and is a credit to its owners and I am in no way criticising their efforts, quite the opposite in fact.

I would also add that varnishing, at least two coats, used to be carried out on most works repaints and this tended to yellow the white areas slightly.

post-4697-0-46216700-1389471836_thumb.jpg

post-4697-0-18826600-1389471890_thumb.jpg

Heljan original £79 - Recent re-runs £89 - Rex's proposed upgrade £99 - Heljan revamp £119 - Model Rail special £126

I am surprised it is £30 more expensive than the new Heljan ones already discounted pre-order in places, and £7 more than these model's advertised RRP

Kernow description says 8-pin DCC (same as old model) Has anything changed under the body or is the MR spec higher?

Regards

Igor

The only thing that's changed is the livery. The Model Rail price includes post, packing and handling charges and is a few years on from the prices mentioned.

The only thing that's changed is the livery. The Model Rail price includes post, packing and handling charges and is a few years on from the prices mentioned.

Below are today's prices for the forthcoming 'revised' model.

There's no obvious mention of these including post and packing or handling charge whatever that is (without going through the ordering process).

I know they are not identical, but very very similar. £30 premium is quiet a difference.

Modelrail offers: 3412 Heljan MR Class 33 Diesel Locomotive number D6510  Price  £125.99

Liverpool retailer: 3413 Class 33/0 diesel D6530 in BR green with experimental yellow panels with rounded top corners: Pre-order £95

Cornish retailer: 3413 Heljan Class 33 Diesel Locomotive number D6530 BR Green Pre-order £101.99

• RMweb Premium

Below are today's prices for the forthcoming 'revised' model.

There's no obvious mention of these including post and packing or handling charge whatever that is (without going through the ordering process).

I know they are not identical, but very very similar. £30 premium is quiet a difference.

Modelrail offers: 3412 Heljan MR Class 33 Diesel Locomotive number D6510  Price  £125.99

Liverpool retailer: 3413 Class 33/0 diesel D6530 in BR green with experimental yellow panels with rounded top corners: Pre-order £95

Cornish retailer: 3413 Heljan Class 33 Diesel Locomotive number D6530 BR Green Pre-order £101.99

It is not a £30 premium.  The prices you are comparing with are discounted by the retailers by at least 15%.  The RRP for a Heljan Class 33 is £119.95.  The Model Rail "premium" for this limited edition is 5%, and if you are a subscriber you then get 10% off that price as well.

• RMweb Gold

Regards

Igor

I thought the Rex models were offered at £199? I certainly felt that the price was way above what I would be prepared to pay, even for an upgraded model.

Manufacturers charge a premium for limited editions because short runs are expensive to set up and there would be very little point in doing short runs unless they were for limited editions. Early MR limited editions used to come with a numbered certificate but there was very little demand for these as most MR readers seem to be 'users' not collectors. The 'whatever it is' handling charge is what we have to pay to make it worthwhile for a retailer to send the models out for us. Making comparison with a discount warehouse selling a standard model is entirely erroneous and misleading. 

CHRIS LEIGH

It is not a £30 premium.  The prices you are comparing with are discounted by the retailers by at least 15%.  The RRP for a Heljan Class 33 is £119.95.  The Model Rail "premium" for this limited edition is 5%, and if you are a subscriber you then get 10% off that price as well.

Hello NCK.

If you look back I did state the full RRP of the 'new' Heljan item.

I still maintain the comparison is valid since the RRP is irrelevent to modellers who are only interested in the price that comes out of the pocket. It's not the fault of my calculations that the MR model is not available 'discounted by retailers' and is actually £7 more than the RRP, and therefore is £31 more expensive than I can pay elsewhere for an almost identical model (different number and slightly different panel shape). Hence the query about any extra special features. I'm not a subscriber.

People will pay their money and make their choice. I just thought I was missing something - is the minor livery difference enough to justify the big disparity in price?

I thought the Rex models were offered at £199? I certainly felt that the price was way above what I would be prepared to pay, even for an upgraded model.

John,   the REX price was for a PAIR of locos - they didn't offer them singly.

Sorry for the echo, Gog - replied to this one before scrolling the page and finding that you'd beaten me to it, by several hours!

Richard.

• RMweb Premium

When I order I am charged the standard overseas shipping by the retailer / distributor on top of the price which "includes post, packing and handling charges".  I accept that the latter might only include postage to Uk addresses while I am overseas but in addition to a premium price please assure me I am not also paying twice for shipping and there should be an adjustment made somewhere in the billing process.

People will pay their money and make their choice. I just thought I was missing something - is the minor livery difference enough to justify the big disparity in price?

Yes. Just like any other Limited Edition.

Well, not really. I think this was the point I was trying to make.

Most L/Es have a fairly unique aspect to them eg one-off livery, branding, certificate, extra feature, special box etc. that is not covered in the main range.

The gap has narrowed on some occasions and even caused quite heated debate when near identical products were produced - I remember several versions of a Bachmann Freightliner Class 66 upsetting a lot of people?

Well, not really. I think this was the point I was trying to make.

Most L/Es have a fairly unique aspect to them eg one-off livery, branding, certificate, extra feature, special box etc. that is not covered in the main range.

The gap has narrowed on some occasions and even caused quite heated debate when near identical products were produced - I remember several versions of a Bachmann Freightliner Class 66 upsetting a lot of people?

Some retailers resent 'non-retailers' such as ourselves producing limited editions as they feel it is taking business away from them. If there was no differentiation in price this would lend weight to their argument. Manufacturers like to minimise the changes in terms of merely changing numbers and small livery details rather than having to produce complete new masks etc. We never did a Freightliner Class 66. We've done a couple of GBRF 66s and the current EWS Euro-Cargo 66.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...

We have a very nice Heljan Class 128 and a Class 33 in the office and I believe that the delivery of both models is not too far off. I also believe that there's light at the end of Hornby's tunnel and the coming of Spring could well bring the BBMF Class 92. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

We have a very nice Heljan Class 128 and a Class 33 in the office and I believe that the delivery of both models is not too far off. I also believe that there's light at the end of Hornby's tunnel and the coming of Spring could well bring the BBMF Class 92. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Isn't the BBMF loco a 91?

Cheers,

Mick

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Chris is there any chance of some pics please ? The 128 is one I have on order from M/R.

Best regards

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Worth noting the news item in the current Model Rail regarding the Hornby BBMF Class 91. This model is delayed indefinitely due to Hornby's production problems. Customer orders remain on file and we will make a further announcement as soon as there is anything to report. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience, due to circumstances beyond ours and Hornby's control.

CHRIS LEIGH

I also believe that there's light at the end of Hornby's tunnel and the coming of Spring could well bring the BBMF Class 91. 

CHRIS LEIGH

That's quite a change in less than one month and very encouraging. Not one I'm interested in but good news for the charity that will receive a % of the purchase price.

I don't have any pics of the Class 128 (here - I'm at home) but they are in the mag and on Facebook. I understand we've had an optimistic message from Hornby about the BBMF Class 91, in sharp contrast to those received before we made the previous announcement.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived