Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

It may be worth getting in touch as it may be a typo. They were £27 each a couple of weeks ago.

Click on the picture to see the price.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/84253/Hornby_R4414_LN_Mk3_East_Midlands_Trains_1st_Class_FO_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

Nope they're still £72, it does say it was reduced from £90 which to them makes it a whole lot better :nono: ...anyway moving on.

It may be worth getting in touch as it may be a typo. They were £27 each a couple of weeks ago.

Click on the picture to see the price.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/84253/Hornby_R4414_LN_Mk3_East_Midlands_Trains_1st_Class_FO_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

Nope they're still £72, it does say it was reduced from £90 which to them makes it a whole lot better :nono: ...anyway moving on.

I added it to my wish list and it says this coach was £27, which has sold but the 2 below it which are the same are £72 each.

post-19662-0-53394900-1511592568_thumb.jpgpost-19662-0-91062000-1511592596.jpg

Re  the  £72  coaches,  one  has   to  draw their  own  conclusuions  from  this,  it  could  be  an  error  and  simple  transposition of 27,  or  perhaps  the   coaches  are  now  classed by Hattons  as  being Rare  and  sought  after!

Re  the  £72  coaches,  one  has   to  draw their  own  conclusuions  from  this,  it  could  be  an  error  and  simple  transposition of 27,  or  perhaps  the   coaches  are  now  classed by Hattons  as  being Rare  and  sought  after!

Yeah probably, in the past profiteering on an item that has sold out or difficult to obtain was usually reserved for ebayers but now that trend has been taken over by model railway retailers as they're all at it.

Personally I hate it considering retailers paid the stock price or lower at some point but it's to be expected in today's model railway market where prices have ballooned considerably thus £72 for a used Hornby coach is probably a good price these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Part of the Black Friday sale;

Hornby R4414-LN02 Mk3 East Midlands Trains 1st Class FO - Pre-owned - Like new £72

Hornby R4414-LN04 Mk3 East Midlands Trains 1st Class FO - Pre-owned - Like new £72

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Spotted that among numerous other very questionable price tags.

Quite apart from avoiding like the plague I wonder how much the previous owner settled for when selling up. 

Currently Hattons remains firmly off my Christmas card list due to the continued intermittent stock and shipping issues and, for the pre-owned section, the prices of some items such as the above which are in my opinion way beyond reasonable and significantly more than buying an equivalent item new.

• Like 1

If someone buys it then the price is justified. If not then a mistake has been made. That’s a sellers prerogative rightly or wrongly.

If someone buys it then the price is justified. If not then a mistake has been made. That’s a sellers prerogative rightly or wrongly.

Ok. ok, we get the message...

• Like 2

Not to minimise the criticism of Hattons, but at least their website is easier to use than some shops.  If, for example, you are trying to find how much they will be selling the Bachmann Birdcage Stock in Maunsell Green you don't have to plough through every item of Bachmann's that they sell, or every possible coach from every manufacturer from early railway models to the present day.  With Hattons' website you can easily get it so that you are just looking at Bachmann coaches in OO for the Big Four period.

• RMweb Premium

Not to minimise the criticism of Hattons, but at least their website is easier to use than some shops.  If, for example, you are trying to find how much they will be selling the Bachmann Birdcage Stock in Maunsell Green you don't have to plough through every item of Bachmann's that they sell, or every possible coach from every manufacturer from early railway models to the present day.  With Hattons' website you can easily get it so that you are just looking at Bachmann coaches in OO for the Big Four period.

I think most people would agree that there's lots that is good about Hattons (wide range, for a start).

It's just that some of the things that were also good about it don't seem to be any more - at least not reliably.

Having been a regular customer of Hattons for over 50 years since I bought six Hornby Dublo Pullmans I decided to take the advice to support my local retailer on a heritage railway line. There were two Bachmann birdcage coaches left in the glass cabinet for £64.95 each. With my 10% discount as a premier life member the total came to £116.92 which was £2.50 more than Hatton's price including postage but at least I was helping a good cause and the local economy.

I asked for the models and while I was waiting for the models to come out of the glass case I asked the other assistant when they had come in. "Don't know." The I asked how many they had. "Don't know." Then the first assistant asked me to point out the models.

Having got them out they found that no-one had entered the bar codes on the computer so they could not swipe it onto the till. They tried swiping the bar code round their neck and then they had a tug of war with my boxed coach each saying they knew how to do it. I did not think I would ever get out of the shop but after about ten minutes my credit card transaction went through. On the way out some people were going some carriage cleaning and they had wrapped the hose round the exit to the station so I could not get out. I went to the booking hall and the road exit was locked. I finally escaped through the Station Road exit.

Come back Hattons. All is forgiven.

• RMweb Premium

Having been a regular customer of Hattons for over 50 years since I bought six Hornby Dublo Pullmans I decided to take the advice to support my local retailer on a heritage railway line. There were two Bachmann birdcage coaches left in the glass cabinet for £64.95 each. With my 10% discount as a premier life member the total came to £116.92 which was £2.50 more than Hatton's price including postage but at least I was helping a good cause and the local economy.

I asked for the models and while I was waiting for the models to come out of the glass case I asked the other assistant when they had come in. "Don't know." The I asked how many they had. "Don't know." Then the first assistant asked me to point out the models.

Having got them out they found that no-one had entered the bar codes on the computer so they could not swipe it onto the till. They tried swiping the bar code round their neck and then they had a tug of war with my boxed coach each saying they knew how to do it. I did not think I would ever get out of the shop but after about ten minutes my credit card transaction went through. On the way out some people were going some carriage cleaning and they had wrapped the hose round the exit to the station so I could not get out. I went to the booking hall and the road exit was locked. I finally escaped through the Station Road exit.

Come back Hattons. All is forgiven.

Or you could have gone to Ian Allan in Birmingham (If you live nearby!) and got them slightly cheaper than Hattons by using the extra discount by having a loyalty card (effectively 5%)

Admittedly not a "local" shop in the normal meaning, but worth supporting to keep it open.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I think most people would agree that there's lots that is good about Hattons (wide range, for a start).

It's just that some of the things that were also good about it don't seem to be any more - at least not reliably.

My last couple of Hatton's orders have been perfectly OK, possibly 2/3 days longer than used to be the case but reasonably predictable, which is more important than sheer speed IMHO.

The increase in turnaround time seems to be after placing the order and before picking/packing if my experience is anything to go by. 

If they send out their "Picking List Picked" email in the morning I expect delivery the next day, if they send it in the afternoon, the day after.

That's how it's worked lately for me and I ordered a couple of s/h items earlier today so will see if it is similar this time.

John

• RMweb Gold

The most frustrating thing for me is the delivery service. Take my most recent order. Received an email from Hattons saying it was picked (great). Then another saying it had been parcelled up and addressed to my home (also great). Then an email from DPD saying they had my parcel, and would be delivering it the next day. Then..... an email from DPD saying they HADNT got my parcel, and would let me know. Meanwhile, Hattons website show my order as shipped. 

Contrast that with, eg Amazon, who often use DPD themselves. Which makes me think its not the courier. 

They could improve by saying for example- all orders placed before 1pm will be shipped that day, but there seems to be a problem between orders being picked and parcels handed over to the courier.

The most frustrating thing for me is the delivery service. Take my most recent order. Received an email from Hattons saying it was picked (great). Then another saying it had been parcelled up and addressed to my home (also great). Then an email from DPD saying they had my parcel, and would be delivering it the next day. Then..... an email from DPD saying they HADNT got my parcel, and would let me know. Meanwhile, Hattons website show my order as shipped. 

Contrast that with, eg Amazon, who often use DPD themselves. Which makes me think its not the courier. 

They could improve by saying for example- all orders placed before 1pm will be shipped that day, but there seems to be a problem between orders being picked and parcels handed over to the courier.

I had the same problem with Kernow. The problem lies with the retailer not being ready for DPD to collect the goods. Once DPD is able to collect the goods DPD seem to be very good in my area in Dorset. Despite this I always ask Hattons to deliver by Royal Mail and no other courier. If I am out Royal Mail put a card through my door and I collect it from the depot ten minutes walk away the following morning. Much easier than staying in all day for DPD.

On a completely unrelated matter but it's food for thought, just been looking at the Hattons pre-owned and a large amount of LMS locomotives of various sources going back to Mainline are showing in today's new listings.  Not sure how Hattons shows some new items as they seem to appear on multiple days but if all that stock has come from a single source then that's another poor soul of this mortal coil I think.

It's quite sad really that when you see large collections coming up for sale it is most likely because the owner has passed away or is no longer able to enjoy the hobby due to age related issues.

Makes you think

On a completely unrelated matter but it's food for thought, just been looking at the Hattons pre-owned and a large amount of LMS locomotives of various sources going back to Mainline are showing in today's new listings.  Not sure how Hattons shows some new items as they seem to appear on multiple days but if all that stock has come from a single source then that's another poor soul of this mortal coil I think.

It's quite sad really that when you see large collections coming up for sale it is most likely because the owner has passed away or is no longer able to enjoy the hobby due to age related issues.

Going a bit further off-topic, I acquired a bunch of model railway stuff via auction from a 2nd hand retailer here in Japan a while back, all the boxes/cases had hand-written labels in the same hand, so obviously part someone's collection, whoever owned it, if you're reading this it's in good hands and will be well looked after and enjoyed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Makes you think

Better than the family skipping it all...............

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Conversely I ordered something Saturday evening, it was 'picked' Sunday and delivered Monday morning. The carrier was Yodel. Perhaps they are gearing up for xmas.

Not quite sure why but orders placed on Saturdays do seem to come through quicker than average.