Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

On their weekly newsletters this week, Hattons say:

We will be making a new product announcement on Thursday 23rd November at 10am. Stay tuned to the countdown on our website to be one of the first one to find out what it is!

• RMweb Premium

On their weekly newsletters this week, Hattons say:

We will be making a new product announcement on Thursday 23rd November at 10am. Stay tuned to the countdown on our website to be one of the first one to find out what it is!

Welcome to the Frothing Brigade ;)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128219-new-announcement/

Hattons website was completely down when I looked about 9 this morning, I just went back in, got the main page and then the "Black Friday" info page.  Clicked HERE to see all the items currently on sale, and it died.  You can't navigate to any of the links off the home page, you just get server timeouts*. I'm surprised I got to the BF info page at all.

WTF are they up to if they can't run a site at a busy period?

* Just had a brief improvement, then it stiffed again.

Edited by Hroth

I  have  had  the  same.....phoned  them  and  was  thanked  for  letting  them  know!!

Recently   got  on  to  the   chat  section  after  a  longish   connection  wait  and  was  advised  the  IT Dept.  are  working  on it.

so I  had  to  place  order  elsewhere.

Hattons website back up now.

Truly astonishing number of unsold "pre-owned" items for sale. Yet many of them faulty, mostly overpriced, so maybe not so astonishing they have this vast backlog.

With the Black Friday reductions some prices are now more realistic.

I hope Hattons keeps the sale running as it can't be good for them to have this huge amount of unsold stock and they may shift some at the lower (hardly "bargain") sale prices.

Don't understand Hattons any more. I don't want them to fail. They still try hard at times.

But when they advertise a damaged item in their Preowned section at a price greater than the identical brand new item is offered in their Bargain section, well, words just fail.

• Like 1

Hattons website back up now.

Truly astonishing number of unsold "pre-owned" items for sale. Yet many of them faulty, mostly overpriced, so maybe not so astonishing they have this vast backlog.

With the Black Friday reductions some prices are now more realistic.

I hope Hattons keeps the sale running as it can't be good for them to have this huge amount of unsold stock and they may shift some at the lower (hardly "bargain") sale prices.

Don't understand Hattons any more. I don't want them to fail. They still try hard at times.

But when they advertise a damaged item in their Preowned section at a price greater than the identical brand new item is offered in their Bargain section, well, words just fail.

I have  said  this  before  re  S/H  pricing  where   Old  is   more  expensive  than 'New'  I just  don't  get  it, 

I wonder  if  its  a case  of  the  left  hand  not  knowing what  the  right  hand  is  doing?

How can they list a damaged pre-owned item (I quote): 

"Pre-owned - coal effect piece loose from tender - loco body loose from chassis underside detailing piece broken away from front of chassis - slightly worn box"

and then quote a List Price to compare the "Bargain" price with..... ?

I find it a bit sad more than anything.

• RMweb Premium

I have  said  this  before  re  S/H  pricing  where   Old  is   more  expensive  than 'New'  I just  don't  get  it, 

I wonder  if  its  a case  of  the  left  hand  not  knowing what  the  right  hand  is  doing?

I would imagine so.

But given that (last time I looked) locomotives and the like are indexed under the model number, you wouldn't think it would be hard to check the current price for new stock...or even build in something to the software that automatically flags when the price that's just been input is higher than the same thing new.

(I'm assuming the prices are manually entered rather than being chosen by a malfunctioning AI...)

The  converse to all this  which  I must  admit  is  very  rare,  I tend to  look around  for  H0e items  and  a  year   back   they  advertised  a ROCO 0-8-0+TT  Loco  in the  pre  used  section,  these  are  currently  out of  production  and getting thin  on  the  ground,  the  last  RRP  was  not  much  short  of  £300, typical discount  price  around  £240 to £250.

Roco  have occasionally issued  special editions of the loco,  so when one  came  up  in the special edition  series of 500  for  around  £150  I bought  it  fingers  crossed,  when it  arrived it  was  obviously  unused with all  factory packing intact,  and  to  cap it  all  it  was  one   of  a very  small number  which  had  been  factory  fitted  with  Digital sound,   the  most recent  reference  to a RRP  I could  locate  was  around Euros 480. So I did actually  get a  bargain.

I have  also had  a  couple of H0e locos  Bemo  & Roco   which   were  returned as  faulty  within 24 hours!!

• Like 1

Here's one:

"missing chimney, one front buffer and both rear buffers - cracked cab roof - fron bogey loose from body, causes front of loco to derail - power cable between loco and tender overly long, can get caught in wheels - discoloured packaging on one end"

and the List Price is....... 

That's worth a couple of pounds off, I'd say.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Historically I’ve spent about 80% of my model Railway expenditure with Hattons. In the last couple of months it has been closer to 20%.

I don’t have a downer on them, but have found myself happy to spend a little more for the greater certainty of service elsewhere. It’s interesting what you find out about yourself when your normal circumstances are shaken up!

Phil.

• Like 2

Part of the Black Friday sale;

Hornby R4414-LN02 Mk3 East Midlands Trains 1st Class FO - Pre-owned - Like new £72

Hornby R4414-LN04 Mk3 East Midlands Trains 1st Class FO - Pre-owned - Like new £72

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

It may be worth getting in touch as it may be a typo. They were £27 each a couple of weeks ago.

Click on the picture to see the price.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/84253/Hornby_R4414_LN_Mk3_East_Midlands_Trains_1st_Class_FO_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

Historically I’ve spent about 80% of my model Railway expenditure with Hattons. In the last couple of months it has been closer to 20%.

I don’t have a downer on them, but have found myself happy to spend a little more for the greater certainty of service elsewhere. It’s interesting what you find out about yourself when your normal circumstances are shaken up!

Phil.

I know  exactly  what  you  mean,  I placed  43  orders  with  Hattons  in 2016,  this  year  it  will  be  significantly  less as  I am dealing  with other retailers more  frequently  who offer  rapid   trouble free service, and value  for  money  prices  without  any problems,  these  tend to be  much smaller companies,  but  the  goods purchased  is  the  same!

I have  placed  but  1  Hattons order in the last  couple or so months!

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1