Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

I received my SE&CR dark lake birdcage brake composite lavatory coach yesterday from Hattons. They have not yet received the other SE&CR birdcage coaches yet. I have noticed that Rails often get their stock in before Hattons. The SE&CR coaches have not yet arrived at the Swanage Station shop either. I think it is best to wait to see what happens.

I pre-ordered the 3 SECR coaches from Hatton's--the first of the tranche, the brake compo lav (39-600), arrived this morning, looks lovely!

Having seen Rails etc getting their stock of all 3 in, I sent an email earlier this morning to Hatton's just enquiring about the status of my other two SECR coaches I have on pre-order and got an email back (very prompt!) to say they'll be despatched as soon as they come into stock--so no worries there--they'll come when they come!

all the best,

Keith

I presently have the SECR Birdcage set on preorder, but it now shows 'sold out on preorder' on my order history and the coaches have disappeared from their Web site.

My Sir William Stanier showed sold out on pre order, it still turned up.

What you should do, is add them to your wish list. Then they are there all the time even if they disappear from general view, till you delete them.

Hattons have merged my orders for 39-610 SECR Birdcage composite and 39-620 SECR Birdcage brake into one order to save postage. They have said that they have both sold out on pre-order but I still expect them to arrive shortly.

Meanwhile the Swanage Station shop have received 39-600 SECR Birdcage lavatory brake and 39-610 SECR Birdcage composite today so it looks like Hattons may have already received the composite and are waiting for the brake to arrive before sending them which seems sensible.

Hi

I'm another one having problems ordering from Hattons. I ordered two Bachmann 100 tankers from the second hand section on Thursday. There was a problem with the them accepting payment over the Internet. I phoned to check if my payment had went through which it had, but there was an issue with payment that the IT had to deal with. But they would e-mail me later in the day with confirmation. I phoned again later in the day as the models were still on sale on the site. I was assured they would be withdrawn as I bought them. The e-mail never arrived. which has been known before and the model(s) have still arrived. This morning (Saturday) I've phoned to enquire about the models to be told they have been sold. The reason given was that someone must have bought them before me. Now I have had great service from Hattons in the past, which I have rightly complemented them on. But this experience will certainly make me think twice. The annoying thing is that it has happened to a fellow club member recently also. I had put it down to being a one off. Now I know it isn't.

Edited by ayrmrg

I'm another one having problems ordering from Hattons.

After being confused about the status of my SECR Dark Lake Birdcage orders after they marked them 'sold out on preorder', my orders were processed by Hattons.  The set was on two orders.  All should have been well but my card was rejected on one.  Hatton's then asked me to update my card.  I suspect that the bank's system was suspicious of two hits to my card at the same time.  I asked Hatton's to try again, which they did. It now seems that I have two parcels travelling half way around the world, when they both should have been together. From now on I will prefer retailers who rely less on automated systems and have real people dealing with me.

After being confused about the status of my SECR Dark Lake Birdcage orders after they marked them 'sold out on preorder', my orders were processed by Hattons.  The set was on two orders.  All should have been well but my card was rejected on one.  Hatton's then asked me to update my card.  I suspect that the bank's system was suspicious of two hits to my card at the same time.  I asked Hatton's to try again, which they did. It now seems that I have two parcels travelling half way around the world, when they both should have been together. From now on I will prefer retailers who rely less on automated systems and have real people dealing with me.

Since this opens the door on the tricky issue of on-line payments let me share my experience with my Australian Bank, perhaps not the same as yours?

I made two separate on line purchases of rental accomodation within 10 minutes, each over 1000Euro and within 30 sec of clicking on the 2nd, telephone rang and it was Westpac (10pm at night) asking me to confirm that I was really making such big purchases on a UK based site. That gave me great confidence in my Bank. Clearly their automated systems are checking / trapping these things, real time, if your bank is rejecting much smaller repeat purchases you might well address your questions to them not Hattons.

IMO companies the size of Hattons have little alternative to depending on the other players in the payment chain, they could not manage the order thruput that they do otherwise. As noted before, you pays your money.......

If a bank blocks payment, you can't blame Hattons for holding off on shipment but they might well look closer at a way of placing a temporary hold on orders where payment problems arise. To lose a pre-owned item that way is totally frustrating, I'd agree.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 1

My SECR dark lake birdcage coaches are due to arrive in two parcels. It looks like someone at Hattons intervened after their machine sent the first parcel as they sent me an email saying that they had merged the orders for the last two birdcage coaches. Meanwhile some sets two SECR birdcage coaches arrived at my local shop ten minutes walk away so perhaps I would be better off buying my coaches from my local shop to save postage. Meanwhile the 'experts' on the Bachmann birdcage topic don't think I should be running my H class, R1 and Hattons P class future release with my SECR birdcage coaches.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When attempting to access Hattons I've had a warning from Norton anti virus strongly advising me not to visit the site. I don't have any immediate shopping needs but was prompted to take a look by a friend of mine who told me yesterday that he was being warned away. We both use Firefox and Norton, I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same warnings or can suggest why we are? Is some lurking virus there?

Odd that Norton warned you against the site.  It could be that one of the links on the site is corrupted either accidentally - or deliberately.  In the latter case it could take you to a site designed to download software onto your computer.  Software that could steal credit card numbers and / or passwords.

As a precaution, you can hover the mouse pointer over a link and check if it looks "right" - e.g. starts http://www.hattons.co.uk/ of if one of the letters is "iffy" - e.g. http://www.haltons.co.uk/ or http://www.hattons.com/.  [Actually the latter .com site seems to belong to an industrial / building company - and I am NOT suggesting that it is compromised.]  When paying, you should get an https connection and a padlock; you can click over the padlock to check who the encryption certificate has been issued to - and again check it looks right.

As an aside, I believe that some computer companies regularly scan Internet web sites checking for dubious links.  For example, a Google search can give a web site a green tick if Google considers the site safe.  Nonetheless, such scans are relatively superficial to avoid infringing the Computer Misuse Act.

When attempting to access Hattons I've had a warning from Norton anti virus strongly advising me not to visit the site. I don't have any immediate shopping needs but was prompted to take a look by a friend of mine who told me yesterday that he was being warned away. We both use Firefox and Norton, I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same warnings or can suggest why we are? Is some lurking virus there?

Maybe its thinking about your credit card/bank balance? 

Hi Neil

Would you mind posting some more information (screenshots, error messages etc) onto the thread, to help us take a look at this please? 

More data about your setup would help us. 

Thanks for taking the time to post this

Best wishes

Richard

MD, Hatton's

• Like 2

Hi Neil

Would you mind posting some more information (screenshots, error messages etc) onto the thread, to help us take a look at this please? 

Best wishes

Richard

MD, Hatton's

Hi Rich,

On a serious note. I went onto your site and got an Avast "Ransomware warning". Clicked out and tried again and came up clear. Originally "Padlock" wasn't showing, so there is/was some sort of issue earlier. We are running latest version of Firefox.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil

Best wishes

Richard

MD, Hatton's

Happy to help, here's the message I get going from a Google search to the Hattons home page ....

post-6793-0-67121000-1514135796_thumb.jpg

.... and when I click on 'view full report' this is what I get.

post-6793-0-33552200-1514135900_thumb.jpg

I'm running windows 8 on the desktop using Firefox, my mate who experienced the same problem was using vista and firefox and checking on my laptop, a windows 10 machine also using firefox the same message crops up. However using chrome no warning is given. Just to further complicate matters if I head to one of the other Hattons pages from a google search, such as OO gauge, no warning is given.

My apologies for the delayed reply, I've been tidying up and doing a spot of last minute grocery shopping since my earlier post.

If a bank blocks payment, you can't blame Hattons for holding off on shipment but they might well look closer at a way of placing a temporary hold on orders where payment problems arise. 

I think that this is how Hattons should deal with this type of issue.  They seem to have plenty of people.  The payment issue in this case was dealt with quickly and courteously, but after the robots had given me the wrong direction.  

Edit: although they processed the order(s) before Christmas, they may not have been sent yet as they are still marked 'open'.

Edited by KymN

I also use Firefox, windows 10 and Norton antivirus.

I was getting exactly the same thing a couple of days ago. (a warning like your screenshot but when I clicked on Norton's details for the Hattons site it reported a clean bill of health) But I also only got it on certain pages like the Cart page and some others.

I reported it directly to hattons via their contact link.

I got an immediate email back from Anthony asking for details which I provided and then an Email back from Leanne saying that she would forward the info on to their IT department.

However I also have to add that the computer has been somewhat slow the last couple of days and last night it did an windows update which lasted a couple of hours. So the slow computer was probably due to downloading the New update which was obviously huge.

Today the Hatton's site seems to be working fine again for Me with no warnings. So perhaps the warnings were as a result of the Windows download having a conflict with Firefox and Norton while the download was ongoing.

Goodluck with it. But it's completely fine again for Me today. :)

Edit 27/12 Problem has now returned :(

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your observations Blue Streak. This morning I've tried again on both my machines (windows 8 and windows 10) and am still getting the warning.  However I was only getting the warning on the home page not on any of the others. Strange stuff beyond my comprehension.