Swindon - Kemble re-doubling

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating to see, and a good job done by all! Nice to see the idiocies of the past being corrected.

And was it indeed reopened on time this morning?  I'm keeping stumm...

Alas it would seem to be over-running by a few hours.  Currently shown on the 'net as replacement 'buses until c.10.30 this morning.  Presumably the S&T testing has not gone to plan or something happened which stopped them getting in on time?

Alas it would seem to be over-running by a few hours.  Currently shown on the 'net as replacement 'buses until c.10.30 this morning.  Presumably the S&T testing has not gone to plan or something happened which stopped them getting in on time?

A good job done by all in the end, I think!

I see it's now the turn of the Wrexham line, another very necessary bit of work that's been needing doing for years - well, ever since some chump singled it, really!

• RMweb Premium

But not so character building.

I once soon after privatisation had to move and install a 600' rail using a rail scooters. The contract gang who were all painters (white splodges all over their boots and clothes) of limited PW experience thought I was kidding when I told them it weighed 10 tons and we were moving it 200 yards by hand. I won't say we were tight for manpower but every time I crossed a low point in the ballast shoulder my feet left the ground, and I was left dangling from the end of the scooter handle. For some strange reason I never saw that gang again.

Christ, was it in one piece?? That's 9 chain of rail! You must have had about 18 scooters and 40 odd men! :O

Pleased to see this line re-doubled.  What other investments would RMweb members like to see?  Instead of wasting money on HS2, I think that re-doubling the Salisbury-Exeter line and even electrifying it would be high on the list.  

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to see this line re-doubled.  What other investments would RMweb members like to see?  Instead of wasting money on HS2, I think that re-doubling the Salisbury-Exeter line and even electrifying it would be high on the list.  

Agreed.

I would like to see another in-land route by-passing the Devon sea wall. This would supplement it rather than be instead of!

Would be a snip compared with with HS2.

First-posting lurker here! I live in Cirencester so I took the opportunity to have a little look up the line from West Swindon to Kemble on Sunday just before the handback. I was curious that the track that was to reopen on Monday seemed to be on the 'down' side from Swindon as far as Purton, but on the 'up' side from Minety to Kemble. So somewhere between Purton & Minety there must be a 'wiggle'...!

I spoke to a worker at Minety Crossing who was knocking off for the day - he tells me the road crossing is due to reopen on 9th September - initially still as a manually operated manned crossing.

As an aside, does anyone know whether there is a lower speed restriction on the line as it is at the moment? It used to be 80-90mph as a single line.

View WNW from Moredon Bridge (new track on right ('up' side) is unfinished in distance):

Swindon-Kemble_01-09-13_Moredon_S.jpg

Purton Crossing, looking WNW (no new track laid here, existing track on 'down' side of alignment):

Swindon-Kemble_01-09-13_PurtonX_S.jpg

Minety Crossing (new completed track on 'up' side, 2ft lower than old track at 'down' side):

Swindon-Kemble_01-09-13_MinetyX_S.jpg

Oaksey (old platforms removed, new track on 'up' side; gaps in old track on 'down' side):

Swindon-Kemble_01-09-13_Oaksey_S.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Please elucidate. Why would HS2 be a waste of money? Better still, make such statements on the HS2 thread instead of the Swindon Kemble redoubled thread.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed.

I would like to see another in-land route by-passing the Devon sea wall. This would supplement it rather than be instead of!

Would be a snip compared with with HS2.

Once again, make your point on the HS2 thread. Quite why the Devon sea wall alternative is anything to do with Swindon Kemble or HS2 is beyond me bearing in mind the different geographical locations.

• RMweb Premium

Once again, make your point on the HS2 thread. Quite why the Devon sea wall alternative is anything to do with Swindon Kemble or HS2 is beyond me bearing in mind the different geographical locations.

Sorry dude, he only asked :banghead:  :angry: and I gave an opinion. Is that OK with you?

Think you need to take a chill pill.

Are you the thread police then?

Every forum has them unfortunately. I call them self appointed moderators. No doubt one will also be along soon to delete this post.

Gents 

I think a number of members need to take a "chill pill" and keep to the OP please 

[message from an non self appointed but appointed moderator, who, unlike any "self appointed moderators", could delete posts but won't in this instance provided that the thread now stays on topic]

thank you, my diodes are starting to play up again...

• RMweb Gold

First-posting lurker here! I live in Cirencester so I took the opportunity to have a little look up the line from West Swindon to Kemble on Sunday just before the handback. I was curious that the track that was to reopen on Monday seemed to be on the 'down' side from Swindon as far as Purton, but on the 'up' side from Minety to Kemble. So somewhere between Purton & Minety there must be a 'wiggle'...!

I spoke to a worker at Minety Crossing who was knocking off for the day - he tells me the road crossing is due to reopen on 9th September - initially still as a manually operated manned crossing.

As an aside, does anyone know whether there is a lower speed restriction on the line as it is at the moment? It used to be 80-90mph as a single line.

Some nice photos there, Ed, thanks for posting those. I don't recall getting to the Moreton bridge in my perambulations during the blockade, although it will feature for a photographic visit with my co-author at some stage between now and next Easter.

There is indeed a speed restriction along most of the current Single Line length, to allow the re-laid track to 'bed in'. It would normally have been 90 mph, but currently one section is 75 mph and another section 50 mph, pending immenent PW works to raise the lot to 75 mph. After that, following the above-mentioned 'bedding in' period and further tamping etc., the temporary speed restriction will be removed and normal (90 mph) line speed will apply until the actual redoubing is completed and commissioned next Easter (I'll need to check what the planned Up and Down line speeds will be after that, it might remain at 90 mph).

Christ, was it in one piece?? That's 9 chain of rail! You must have had about 18 scooters and 40 odd men! :O

One string of rail 200 yards in length, it was a long time ago but I seem to remember there being about 15 or 20 of us.

To lift the rail needed every one on site, trackmen painters, welders, technical staff the lot. Even then we were hanging off the extreme ends of the scooter handles to get every mm of leverage, and at a low section of cess your feet would leave the ground. 

It's because I want to see those kind of investments that I support HS2, to prevent a significant proportion of the rail budget being wasted on repeating the same mistake made with the WCRM - if there's one thing you can be confident about is that cancellation (or the more likely indefinite deferral) will not see the Treasury commit to a long term increase in rail funding to compensate.

Chris

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Passing over the line today, I decided to have a look at the progress and take some images. They are currently clearing vegetation next to the line that was installed some months back. I was a bit surprised by a class 43 on its way to Cheltenham Spa but managed to catch the back of it before it disappeared into the distance. 

post-15291-0-16838200-1394465267_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-14936600-1394465299_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-72090100-1394465337_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-00899600-1394465371_thumb.jpg

Michael

Archived