Swindon - Kemble re-doubling

Lovely link buffalo - many thanks.  I have a feeling I might have stopped at Kemble once on a return run from Gloucester to Guildford behind 73096 in the late 90s. I admired it then but we didn't have time to go to the pub and I missed the water tower.

Wonder if anyone has modelled it? 

P

There was a model featured in Railway Modeller back in the 1970s.

I finished work early today so decided to take a gentle ride along the old Midland & South Western line which is now a cycle path (apart from the Swindon and Cricklade Railway) to have a look at how things are progressing closer to Swindon. I took a couple of photos on my phone from the old Purton road bridge, the first looking towards Purton and the second looking back towards Swindon with the newer Purton road bridge in view.

post-15291-0-60614300-1377108381_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-51184600-1377108423_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Fantastic thread - really interesting for those of us who like railways but have only the sketchiest idea of the engineering skills that go into building and maintaining them!

Particular thanks to those who've posted photos showing the step-by-step work.

Looking at some of the shots earlier in the thread the track being used by the spoil and ballast trains seemed to be so distorted I couldn't imagine that a train could use it at all, though I appreciate the telephoto effect probably exaggerated the problem.  However, it didn't come as a huge surprise to read that a wagon had derailed!

Is the "wobbly" track the result of it being moved to the side by the "PLUM" machines mentioned earlier?

cheers

Ben A.

An engineering train, working on the re-doubling of the railway line between Kemble and Swindon, has derailed causing damage to the track.

It happened between Minety and Swindon, a Network Rail spokesperson said.

The line is currently closed due to ongoing engineering work, and is due to reopen on 2 September......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-23784244

• RMweb Gold

An engineering train, working on the re-doubling of the railway line between Kemble and Swindon, has derailed causing damage to the track.

It happened between Minety and Swindon, a Network Rail spokesperson said.

The line is currently closed due to ongoing engineering work, and is due to reopen on 2 September......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-23784244

Work is well in hand to repair/replace the damaged track... fortunately, by some lucky chance, the whole area is swarming with PW staff...!  ;)

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos taken on my most recent visit to the site last week.

Empty side tipper train entering and emerging from Kemble Tunnel:

post-57-0-45442500-1377328352.jpg

post-57-0-37628800-1377328364.jpg

Oaksey, looking both ways, showing new track (on new Up line formation, but will temporarily act as Single running line until next Easter) and former running line slewed onto temporary alignment (pending 'tidying up!') on Down side:

post-57-0-73467600-1377328430.jpg

post-57-0-17177600-1377328442.jpg

On site at Minety with another sidetipper train, unloading bottom ballast onto a geotextile membrane:

post-57-0-73270400-1377328476.jpg

post-57-0-73916400-1377328488.jpg

post-57-0-00446200-1377328499.jpg

post-57-0-64064100-1377328507.jpg

• RMweb Gold

that last picture looks like my new patio/driveway base being delivered, had 3 tons of washed and crushed used ballast from basford hall tipped and spread yesterday, walking up the drive is like being in work until the top is layed

Lovely photos thanks for posting.

Is "bottom" ballast different to "top" ballast?

cheers

Ben A.

Physically no - functionally yes

Bottom ballast comprises a compacted bed of standard 70-80mm sized stone, 300mm thick upon which the sleepers are laid and provides a stable base to spread the train load into the formation and drainage.

Top ballast everything above this, of the same stuff, laid after the track is installed and serves to hold the track in place.

• RMweb Gold

Will the line be doubled through Kemble tunnel too?

I'm also wondering if there were any signals installed adjacent to the single line which have been moved?

Unless they have been moved since the singling they are as follows (from the Kemble end) -

1. SN290 GPL at the single to double connection at Kemble (visible in the top pic in post No.92 above so might have to move if the connection remains.

2. SN158, running signal at the south end of the tunnel for the same connection

3. SN158R - repeater for SN 158

4.Possibly SN157R at the site of Bremell Sdgs if it has been changed from its original bracketed form, and

5. SN157 for the single to double connection at Swindon Loco Yard (as was).

Some non-block signals might have been installed to comply with the minimum running time requirement when the level crossings (Purton and Minety) were modernised and if that did happen they are likely to be foul of something or other as much of the track was gradually slewed to the middle of the formation over the years.  Cable routes should generally be clear as they were all laid when the route was still double track but if any have been renewed they are more than likely to be foul as are any fibre optic cables which were laid for Project Mercury as it came along well after singling.  I would think the direct resignalling costs resulting from singling alone should not be very high but if lots of cable rerouting and signalling enhancement is added the costs will rapidly escalate.

Thanks, could some of those signals be deleted if the line is continuously redoubled through the tunnel? 

Project Mercury - that sounds like some kind of secret government black ops :D

I'm quite surprised that newer cable runs would have to be moved, there must have been an assumption that singled lines would never be redoubled.

Thanks, could some of those signals be deleted if the line is continuously redoubled through the tunnel? 

Project Mercury - that sounds like some kind of secret government black ops :D

I'm quite surprised that newer cable runs would have to be moved, there must have been an assumption that singled lines would never be redoubled.

'Project Mercury' was a joint-venture between BR Telecommunications and Cable and Wireless during the 1980s to provide an alternative fibre-optic network to British Telecom's trunk network. It was more a sky-blue than black op..

The cable-layers would have laid the cables on the most convenient route for them, and not neccessarily recorded the position accurately, if at all. Even the position of major runs emanating from and in close proximity to recently built IECCs hasn't always been recorded.

Archived