Swindon - Kemble re-doubling

Thanks, Captain.  Do you know if there are any other crossovers planned between Kemble and Standish Junction?  At present I don't think any exist.  Perhaps at one time there was a crossover in Stroud for moving goods from the down line to the Goods Shed, but I don't believe one presently exists there.  I would think that it's always good to have crossovers at spaced locations along routes to facilitate track repair and maintenance but appreciate that their possible dysfunction with resultant delays has to be factored in.  

The line north of Kemble isn't signalled bi-directionally so there wouldn't be much to gain operationally under normal circumstances by adding more crossovers. For engineering purposes there is good access from Cockleberry Yard and Gloucester Yard and during most engineering work there wouldn't be more than 15 miles or so of wrong line running, which although speed restricted wouldn't make that much difference as the main running line during a possession would probably be speed restricted.

I look forward to being able to catch the train to work from Kemble again tomorrow! :-)

On a side note, does anyone know what happened to the MFA which was parked at Kemble for several months?

Cheers,

Jack

• RMweb Premium

On a side note, does anyone know what happened to the MFA which was parked at Kemble for several months?

Cheers,

Jack

I signalled a 66 into the Cirencester bay about 2 weeks ago to pick it up was most pleasing as it was the last section of Swindon Panel I had yet to signal train on and as there is no signaled move between SN158 and the GPL 290 it's a very intresting working to do aswell. The loco took the wagon back to Didcot, the cripples in Cockelbury yard where also collected that week so I assume they where doing a round up before sending the wagons of to the works.

I signalled a 66 into the Cirencester bay about 2 weeks ago to pick it up was most pleasing as it was the last section of Swindon Panel I had yet to signal train on and as there is no signaled move between SN158 and the GPL 290 it's a very intresting working to do aswell. The loco took the wagon back to Didcot, the cripples in Cockelbury yard where also collected that week so I assume they where doing a round up before sending the wagons of to the works.

That's an interesting anecdote! To further complicate things, isn't the access (2a & 2b?) to the siding controlled from the ground frame at Kemble?

Cheers,

Jack

• RMweb Premium

I''m pleased to say that the possession was handed back 6 mins early this morning at 0454 hrs.

Are you reading my occurance sheets? :jester:

That's an interesting anecdote! To further complicate things, isn't the access (2a & 2b?) to the siding controlled from the ground frame at Kemble?

Cheers,

Jack

The points into the Cirencester bay are indeed controlled by a gound frame (466 points)  the frame isn't the easiest to use in the world (probally because it's used so rarely) and it can take a fair bit of time to get a train in there.

• 1 month later...

The Swindon Panel Conservation Society had a meeting recently, and Network Rail indicated to its members that track control in the Swindon area will not be transferred to Didcot until the next holiday period, i.e. Christmas this year or Easter next year.  (Apparently change in control needs to be done over a holiday period.)  Since operation of the two tracks from Swindon to Kemble is tied to the new control system becoming operational after installation at Didcot it seems that the double tracking won't come into full use until that later holiday period.  

• RMweb Gold

The Swindon Panel Conservation Society had a meeting recently, and Network Rail indicated to its members that track control in the Swindon area will not be transferred to Didcot until the next holiday period, i.e. Christmas this year or Easter next year.  (Apparently change in control needs to be done over a holiday period.)  Since operation of the two tracks from Swindon to Kemble is tied to the new control system becoming operational after installation at Didcot it seems that the double tracking won't come into full use until that later holiday period.  

Does this mean that Didcot TVSC will be communicating with Gloucester panel by means of a block bell I wonder?

• RMweb Gold

Folks - the latest information I have is that the double track section will be commissioned this August blockade, with control temporarily remaining in Swindon Panel, although I'm not clear currently on the technicalities on how that will be done. More anon.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting sign of our times, where "modern" equipment is regarded as important to the point of preservation.

It would be good if one, or part of, the now rapidly disappearing WR/Henry Williams/Integra panels from the late 1950s/'60s/early '70s could be preserved.  They were a considerable step forward for Britain when they first appeared (not that they were alone in being NX of course) and it would be a pity to see them vanish without trace.

Rather amusingly we have signal structures, and still in some cases signal heads, that are 'thoroughly modern colour light' stuff but have been in situ for over 50 years - if they had all replaced 50 year old semaphores they would have been replacing Pre-Group kit and we would have considered what was going as 'historically important'.  Strange how our view of 'history' can change.

Folks - the latest information I have is that the double track section will be commissioned this August blockade, with control temporarily remaining in Swindon Panel, although I'm not clear currently on the technicalities on how that will be done. More anon.

Captain, I can see them putting all ot the double track in place by end of August -- but can't see the 12.5 miles being commissioned in the sense of coming into full use.  I would think that even though the two tracks may be fully laid, only one of them will be used until such time as Didcot Control is in place and in full operation -- which apparently will not be before Christmas or next Easter.  Wouldn't the Swindon Panel need rewiring for both tracks to come into full use, and why would NR bother at a time when it is trying to decommission the Panel as soon as possible?  Wouldn't the current switches for switching to the current single track at the Swindon end and at the NW end of the Kemble Tunnel have to be left in place if control of both tracks wasn't fully in operation?  Eagerly awaiting the clarification from your source!

Captain, I can see them putting all ot the double track in place by end of August -- but can't see the 12.5 miles being commissioned in the sense of coming into full use.  I would think that even though the two tracks may be fully laid, only one of them will be used until such time as Didcot Control is in place and in full operation -- which apparently will not be before Christmas or next Easter.  Wouldn't the Swindon Panel need rewiring for both tracks to come into full use, and why would NR bother at a time when it is trying to decommission the Panel as soon as possible?  Wouldn't the current switches for switching to the current single track at the Swindon end and at the NW end of the Kemble Tunnel have to be left in place if control of both tracks wasn't fully in operation?  Eagerly awaiting the clarification from your source!

I very much doubt they will put the double line on Swindon panel.  More likely is that the Kemble line will be taken off the panel altogether and controlled from a temporary workstation in the PSB.  

• RMweb Gold

I very much doubt they will put the double line on Swindon panel.  More likely is that the Kemble line will be taken off the panel altogether and controlled from a temporary workstation in the PSB.  

The Question has been Asked!

It would be nice if that can be done.  It seems that full use of both tracks would have to commence at the same time as the present switch at Kemble Tunnel is replaced by through track, so maybe we can keep an eye towards the end of August on whether NR is preparing to remove that switch?  

Hi All,

Very simply................................talking to the relevant people at todays' PICOP meetings.

I can confirm that all the double track must be in place by 13th July.

Subsequently, the August blockade will then be used to get all the signalling equipment installed and commissioned. This will also include the PW work to connect all the new S&C etc.

Hopefully the time will also be used to tidy up the place also - it's one of the messiest schemes I've ever seen - you don't unload ballast trains like that - you do every other wagon and spread it out properly, not each wagon in turn and then have to bulldoze it up the bank :no:

• RMweb Gold

Subsequently, the August blockade will then be used to get all the signalling equipment installed and commissioned. This will also include the PW work to connect all the new S&C etc.

Thanks Southernman, that's exactly what I've been told yesterday.

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Very simply................................talking to the relevant people at todays' PICOP meetings.

Hopefully the time will also be used to tidy up the place also - it's one of the messiest schemes I've ever seen - you don't unload ballast trains like that - you do every other wagon and spread it out properly, not each wagon in turn and then have to bulldoze it up the bank :no:

Clearly you were not about on the Western when the Reading CEs attempted to install one of my new Relief Lines between Wantage Road and Challow - they made such a mess of it that the Bristol bunch (who had done the other one) had to takeover and sort it out.

And thanks for the info about Swindon - Kemble.  When you think about it the S&T work should be relatively straightforward as it just means a new, simple, interface on the double line section at Swindon Loco Yard and providing some sort of temporary panel for the indications and small number of controls on the new double line section which would thus minimise work on the existing panel.  Very much in the spirit of stageworks of yore and no need to interface the new stuff with E10,000 circuitry on the existing interlockings etc.

Captain, given the massive amount of work still to be done to put all the double tracking in place (as witnessed by recent photos posted on other websites), how can 13 July be a realistic date for completion?  Maybe 13 July was a target date that was set six months ago before the flooding?   ;)

July 13th IS the date for the double track being in place & ready for the signalling....................A certain track renewal company have a big financial "interest" in it being so .................I'll say no more...................isn't this privatised industry wonderful ??  :no:

• RMweb Gold

July 13th IS the date for the double track being in place & ready for the signalling....................A certain track renewal company have a big financial "interest" in it being so .................I'll say no more...................isn't this privatised industry wonderful ??  :no:

Simple question really of how much plain line there is to lay in and how much of the formation is ready to receive jt.  Assuming there are enough/long enough possessions and the material comes forward to site(s) as scheduled then it's just a matter of organisation (and a touch of luck and some decent weather).  

And as we were told for many years just how more efficient than BR private industry is there surely can be no doubt that they will achieve it, ahmm - especially if it involves financial penalties if they don't ;)

If all of the new track is to be in place by 13 July it will include the switching at the NW end of Kemble Tunnel becoming inoperative by that date, and how can NR remove that switching unless the double-track control is already in place and ready to go?  Sorry if I remain a doubter in regard 13 July, guys!!  ;)

Archived