Hornby 2 BIL

Colin parks

• RMweb Premium

I believe so Jeff.  Too many accidents - a few of them nasty - occurred with motormen stepping onto un-flat and not always dry buffer housings, reaching over to the centre of the unit and ~~~~~ whoops!

That had been the case from the earliest days of stencil-plate head codes so far as I am aware and isn't by any means unique to the 2Bil units.  Different arrangements were put in place when the Cor family arrived on the scene as the stencil plate then had to be placed over the position of the right-hand (non-existent) cab window and effectively done from the "live side".  Roller blinds didn't come soon enough for some motormen though most accepted the various inconveniences as simply a part of the job - a position they often held with pride.

• RMweb Premium

When the weather was cold or wet, the cursing of the motorman could be clearly heard on one of the following occurrences:

1) When trying to remove the headcode from the opal glass, the frame is frozen in situ;

2) When trying to fit the headcode, accumulation of ice prevents fitment of the frame;

3) When trying to fit or remove headcode, wind/rain causes the frame to slip through the motorman's hand and fall into the 4-foot.

- as related to me by my uncle, who had the privilege to drive the things on Coastway in the late 60s...

You didn't mention the cab window being frozen shut, a not that uncommon occurrence. But perhaps the motormen liked that because none of your 1), 2) or 3) could apply and as Gwiwer says below, they then had a legitimate excuse for not changing the headcode - or was that (Disciplinary) Form 1 territory?

And woe betide the motorman who stepped onto the buffer and tried to change the stencil plate externally; more than one has slipped causing themselves injury and the train to be delayed or cancelled.  Opening the cab window was the only officially-sanctioned way to do it.

Edited by brushman47544

I've not seem the RM review, but I'd be a bit disappointed if they have used the same bogie at each end (I guess this isn't a mistake, but a cost saving). NNK are another source of the trailer collector bogies - they aren't listed on the website but I've bought one at a show recently.

Maybe so, Pete..... But, If....IF... Hornby are using the B/Belle's bogies under the Bil ?, surely, this is harking back to the days of Triang's 'One fits All' motor bogie,? Remember the SUB, Cl.101 & B/P ?

I must admit I had forgotten about the NN Kits trailer bogie kit.  

Not sure if this is currently available following the sad loss of Alastair Rolfe.  Phoenix Precision are slowly bringing his products back to market however:  http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/no-nonsense-kits.html

Where/when did you get yours, Pete?

EDIT: Roxey do one, is this what you meant? http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/408/4emu27-8ft-9in-trailing-pickup-bogie/

Edited by 10800

• RMweb Premium

Something else struck me and I could be wrong, but have Hornby put  dummy motor bogie under the trailer coaches? 

Perhaps nobody cares about the finer points anyway?

Colin

Since I managed to look at the photos in the Hornby 2013 announcements and elsewhere and the video of one running without noticing the bogie error, I think I can go on ignoring it. Yes I care, but not enough to bother doing anything about it.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is currently available following the sad loss of Alastair Rolfe.  Phoenix Precision are slowly bringing his products back to market however:  http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/no-nonsense-kits.html

Where/when did you get yours, Pete?

I bought a load of NNK bogies off Phoenix at Scaleforum in 2011 - both the 8' steam bogies and the trailer bogies. I've still not seen them on their website, although they don't seem to update it very often. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The "2Bil Farewell" tour was an interesting day.  It began with 6Bil (2024+2112+2016) of which 2112 promptly ran a hot box and had to be removed at Wimbledon which required an hour in East Wimbledon depot and significant shunting.  As no other Bil was on hand Sub 4693 was provided as shown in the clip above.  Later in the tour the Sub was replaced with another Bil (2034) plus a Hal( 2603) meaning the tour finished as an 8-car formation as indeed it had been for most of the day albeit with the Sub.  

The '2Bil Farewell" (the SEG tour) was not the tour which spilt for travel over the Richmond - Broad Street line.  That was another tour which had many then members of the SEG aboard but was run I believe under the banner of the LCGB or possibly RCTS.  The SEG tour ran on 09/01/1971 and stayed on the SR serving (among others) Blackfriars, Wimbledon, Guildford, Alton, Chertsey, Victoria, Gillingham (Kent!), Paddock Wood and back to Victoria.

• Like 1

I was looking at the review of the Hornby 2-BIL in the February edition of The Railway Modeller which features unit number 2090 which is the "NRM" version.

It looks very nice, but I noticed that the unit does NOT have the figure "1"'s denoting first class on the appropriate doors.  Is this correct for the NRM museum version, and is it appropriate for any period of BR real life running ?

( Likewise the Hornby website shows the "NRM" version without the figure "1". )

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/2013-range/diesel-and-electric-locomotives-and-packs/r3177-br-2-bil-2-car-emu-nrm/

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

The yellow identification band above first class accommodation and the wording "First" or numeral "1" applied to the external doorways first appeared around 1961 IIRC prior to which the only indication was the window decals, the obviously better quality upholstery and on internal doorways which (where fitted, i.e. not in the Bils) carried the word FIRST in gold block decals.

The yellow identification band above first class accommodation and the wording "First" or numeral "1" applied to the external doorways first appeared around 1961 IIRC prior to which the only indication was the window decals, the obviously better quality upholstery and on internal doorways which (where fitted, i.e. not in the Bils) carried the word FIRST in gold block decals.

The Std. British Railways '1' appeared on the doors' exterior long before the Cream / Yellow stripe.

In fact, the numbers were there in Maunsell's and Bulleid's day, allbe 'em in the latter's case, 'Sunshine' font on 'Malachite'. After Nationalisation, the numbers, both Set, Vehicle and Classification, were gradually changed to the British Railways font.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/3820543244/in/photostream/

I've got a 1951 dated pic. of a 2-NOL carrying the early 'Lion on Wheel' emblem on the DMBT coupled to it's DTC  showing the doors' with BR font '1's.

Maybe the NRM haven't got around to affixing them yet and Hornby just copied what they were presented with ?

Edited by Ceptic

• RMweb Premium

...hopefully it doesn't divide on route........  :O

Hopefully not!  The semi-fasts didn't usually divide and were formed of "Cor" stock.  The stoppers formed of "Bil" stock did being combined Portsmouth / Alton trains to and from Woking.  Stoppers would show 7 to Portsmouth & Southsea or in later years 73.  I guess you can't move house that easily just to live at an appropriate headcode!!!

I love your house number display, Judge Dread.   :)

Thank you kind Sir. I also have a roller blind, which gives away it's heritage at the top. In any case,the numbers 7 and 8 have a distinct faded look about them indicating to me constant use taking Jack back to Pompey.

post-276-0-32511800-1359318883.jpg

Edited by Judge Dread

• RMweb Premium

Indeed - as the caption says the original featured what the Southern called "Bar O" for which I can display ō but the coding may mean it is not visible correctly to all users.

Within the suburban electrified network the meaning was:-

H : Waterloo - Hampton Court  

ō : Waterloo - Richmond - Hounslow - Waterloo roundabout

V : Waterloo - Kingston - Richmond - Waterloo roundabout

I : Waterloo - Brentford - Ascot - Woking

S : Waterloo - Wimbledon - Shepparton

Some also had other meanings and different versions have appeared in print at times.  Where is the "Southern spirit" now which saw those headcodes used an advertisement for bread.  Or the "Famous Fives" lined up at London Bridge for departure to the Sussex coast?   

Edited by Gwiwer