Level crossing stupidity...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-41350969/lorry-driver-jailed-for-crashing-into-level-crossing-barriers

Wow.  He started crossing against the lights, hit the descending barrier on the exit side of the crossing then stopped to walk around his vehicle  :O before continuing on his way...

It's good that he was done for it, but I suspect his only actual offences were crossing after the red stop lights had been displayed and crossing the (continuous) white line. You could argue that by continuing to cross and not stopping on the crossing, he didn't actually obstruct it, but its a fine point. Nonetheless, he shouldn't have started across in the first place.

Jim

​ I attend an event in Hatfield most years which is aimed at primary school children in their last year and a variety of people attend to talk to them and give them advice for their future.I  go on behalf of the RNLI to talk water safety and a regular attendy is the local rail franchise with a layout showing were problems can arise, drivers man it so know the way to get the message over and it works.This event is a good way to talk to the youngsters and hopefully equip them for the future.

• Like 6

NR used to have a really really good school roadshow in the Wessex area in the early - mid 2000's,explaining the dangers of  LX's. conductor rails, trespass & vandalism (mainly I think due to the enthusiasm of the young lady running it as it went downhill somewhat after she departed for SWT in 2006) - 'fraid NR safety on the SW is now run by the worst kind of person ...................... too intent on catching staff out rather than doing anything worthwhile.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

NR used to have a really really good school roadshow in the Wessex area in the early - mid 2000's,explaining the dangers of  LX's. conductor rails, trespass & vandalism (mainly I think due to the enthusiasm of the young lady running it as it went downhill somewhat after she departed for SWT in 2006) - 'fraid NR safety on the SW is now run by the worst kind of person ...................... too intent on catching staff out rather than doing anything worthwhile.

Wow, not bitter then?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We have these in Hove. They are for the fire station down the end of a side road. Only ever seen them operate twice

https://goo.gl/maps/kooTDMpsmxB2

Interesting. I presume the one that looks like a normal traffic light is also an amber/flashing red set of lights.

I've seen that on the Isle of Man at level crossings but not I think in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

And a level crossing for racehorses!

https://goo.gl/maps/D5etNRrb83R2

The racecourse seems to have another "level crossing" - no flashing lights this time, but gates that look as if they open across the road, complete with a continuation of the white barriers marking the edge of the course.

Doesn't seem to be on streetview, but my favourite "level crossing" is where a road crosses the airport runway in Gibraltar.

Airliners and military aircraft...quite a sight...

• Like 2

The A9, ie the main Edinburgh to Stirling road, used to cross under the approach to the main runway at Turnhouse - now Edinburgh Airport (and much changed):

0_map_edinburgh_airport_1923.jpg

The blue lines are the runways, the green lines mark where the traffic was stopped when a flight was approaching.  There would appear to have been wig-wag lights there but also - most reassuringly - a man in a hat and a white coat:

0_around_edinburgh_-_edinburgh_airport_a

(Photo and map are linked from the very interesting Edinburgh History web site - copyright as indicated on that site).

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 4

The racecourse seems to have another "level crossing" - no flashing lights this time, but gates that look as if they open across the road, complete with a continuation of the white barriers marking the edge of the course.

Doesn't seem to be on streetview, but my favourite "level crossing" is where a road crosses the airport runway in Gibraltar.

Airliners and military aircraft...quite a sight...

There also used to be a level crossing across a taxiway at Filton, complete with sign stating that "Pedestrians must not use this crossing unless accompanied by an aircraft!"

• Like 2

There also used to be a level crossing across a taxiway at Filton, complete with sign stating that "Pedestrians must not use this crossing unless accompanied by an aircraft!"

It dates from the days of the Bristol Brabazon, when a longer runway was installed; in later years, it would see Concorde crossing it. 

Le Touquet airport actually had a passenger carrying line which ran to the main terminal building, crossing both a taxi-way and the apron. Though it's been disused for a long time, the route of the railway can be seen on Google Earth:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Le+Touquet+Airport/@50.5139374,1.6203931,593m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47ddd065db6bb2fd:0x9e2adab1d04a5170!8m2!3d50.5143207!4d1.6193541

I have seen photos of a two-car 'Caravelle' DMU passing in front of the Control Tower (the white building on the lower edge of the upper grassed area)- you used to be able to buy through rail and air tickets from London to Paris. I think the UK rail link ran to Lydd, which now brands itself 'London (Ashford) Airport, I believe.

Ballykelly near Derry protected by ordinary semaphore signals. I have been in the control tower and in the midst of all the high tech radar etc sat some rather Victorian looking railway equipment.

A former colleague had worked at the Control Tower at RAF Valley. One month, the IRSE Journal's 'Unusual Signals' featured the large button which replaced the signals to Danger on the adjacent main-line in the event of an over-run on the runway. Col took one look and said 'Never knew that's what it was for'.

To return to more conventional level crossings, this happened today in Deal:-

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/deal/news/trains-disrupted-by-car-on-132651/

Edited by Fat Controller

It dates from the days of the Bristol Brabazon, when a longer runway was installed; in later years, it would see Concorde crossing it. 

Le Touquet airport actually had a passenger carrying line which ran to the main terminal building, crossing both a taxi-way and the apron. Though it's been disused for a long time, the route of the railway can be seen on Google Earth:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Le+Touquet+Airport/@50.5139374,1.6203931,593m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47ddd065db6bb2fd:0x9e2adab1d04a5170!8m2!3d50.5143207!4d1.6193541

I have seen photos of a two-car 'Caravelle' DMU passing in front of the Control Tower (the white building on the lower edge of the upper grassed area)- you used to be able to buy through rail and air tickets from London to Paris. I think the UK rail link ran to Lydd, which now brands itself 'London (Ashford) Airport, I believe.

I've actually flown from Le Touquet in 1977 after travelling from Paris in an SNCF gas turbine powered train. We did indeed cross the runway.  The flight was to Southend airport by British Air Ferries Handley Page dart Herald.  It took 5 minutes to walk from the plane at Southend, through customs and to the car park just outside the terminal building, and get into my car.  They took baggage from the plane on a trailer pulled by a Mini. All long gone.

BAF also did a service to Brussels by flying Southend to Ostend and then on by train. It was much cheaper than flying to Brussels direct.  They flew from Lydd and Hurn as well, but the story of BAF gets a bit complicated.  They were notable for having the first all woman flight crew (captain, first officer, 2 flight attendants) of a British airline.

• Like 1