Locomotive portraits

chaz

Gladstone at the NRM in one of my favourite liveries. It must be a nightmare to paint in N.

attachicon.gifGladstone with Kath.jpg

Visited the NRM earlier this week and found that a horse drawn cart has been dumped in front of Gladstone with no apparent reason. No logical explanation for it but the shot in #240 is no longer possible. Rather disappointed with the NRM this time, perhaps it is familiarity.

Edit: My wife Kath is in my photo. If anyone wants to use the photo for scale Kath is five feet two inches tall.

Edited by Ohmisterporter

:offtopic:                                                                                              :offtopic: 

Is it me, or are the tenders of Rocket and Sans Peril the same (bar colour)?

attachicon.gifwhat.jpg

I can't say I like it, but were there a smiley for "holds a horrible fascination" I'd tick that.

edit: amendments to grammar.

Sorry Chaps and Chappesses,

I've looked at this picture - how the devil does this loco actually e.g. that shaft across the wheels.

I must have led a more sheltered life than I'd thought!

Dave

:offtopic:                                                                                              :offtopic:

Is it me, or are the tenders of Rocket and Sans Peril the same (bar colour)?

With pedant mode selected "on", the Sans Pareil was without equal, and quite possibly without peril as well. Pedant mode "off".

PB

• RMweb Gold

I've looked at this picture - how the devil does this loco actually e.g. that shaft across the wheels.

Dave

Very simple Dave.  The cylinders on the side drive a crankshaft which then drives the wheels through a series of universal joints and bevel gears.  It's a brilliant concept as you get all wheel drive but running on bogies for weight distribution and adhesion advantages hence their use on logging lines.

Daring to show it here is the Shay cylinder and crankshaft arrangement on an Aveling & Porter steamroller - the only difference being that it's a 2 cylinder engine and the big ends and crankshaft are enclosed in an oil bath - and this was built in 1912!

post-6859-0-42461500-1380726284_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-78178200-1380726325_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dave

Here you go Dave, this is flat out! 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sasquatch posted this a while back in another thread:

You have a better memory than I Bluebottle!

If I ever build an American layout it would be bassed arround these engines, because they're just so fascinating! 

I wonder if there is a RTR version? 

Edited by Sasquatch