Derwent - LMS in the Peak (never finished due to house move)

Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Click the output > export a file... menu item.

Then click the create image file... button.

Martin.

Hi Martin, thanks for a great bit of kit. Like many have said before, once it clicked...it sort of came together all at once although I still have a lot to learn it's got me started. I printed out a 36" turnout of which I will need many, what a monster compared with your average Peco.

I have started boarding out the ceiling tonight with 2 x 8 x 4 sheets of 6mm MDF. 

post-16241-0-13189500-1389382174.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin, thanks for a great bit of kit. Like many have said before, once it clicked...it sort of came together all at once although I still have a lot to learn it's got me started. I printed out a 36" turnout of which I will need many, what a monster compared with your average Peco.

I have started boarding out the ceiling tonight with 2 x 8 x 4 sheets of 6mm MDF. 

Just a quick point - you probably know this anyway - if you've put insulation above the mdf then it's important to leave an air gap between the upper surface of the insulation and the underside of the roofing felt (I think 50mm is recommended).  Otherwise there's apparently a real risk of condensation, followed by rotting of roof timbers in severe cases.

HTH

polybear

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick point - you probably know this anyway - if you've put insulation above the mdf then it's important to leave an air gap between the upper surface of the insulation and the underside of the roofing felt (I think 50mm is recommended).  Otherwise there's apparently a real risk of condensation, followed by rotting of roof timbers in severe cases.

HTH

polybear

Hi Brian

Yes, there's a gap between the polystyrene and the roofing felt, although during the recent high winds there was plenty of ventilation coming through the tiles!! BTY I have just enquired about 00-SF gauges in an email to you.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan, better now than in mid summer, ahhaha

Good luck mate.

Andy :sungum:

Hi Andy, that's why I had a couple of opening Veluxes put in the roof, so with that and the insulation I hope it will be tolerable in summer especially if we get PV panels fitted, they might shade to actual roof somewhat.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifBoarding out Jan 2014 begins.jpg

Your 36" turnout should not be that much bigger than it's Peco equivalent, certainly not a "monster").

If you have been following the thread on RtL 00 track, you will have seen Martin's info that a 60" nominal radius Peco point has in fact a radius of only 44"!

You can also reduce the length of turnouts quite a loyt by adopting a closer to scale "6 foot".

• RMweb Gold

Your 36" turnout should not be that much bigger than it's Peco equivalent, certainly not a "monster").

If you have been following the thread on RtL 00 track, you will have seen Martin's info that a 60" nominal radius Peco point has in fact a radius of only 44"!

You can also reduce the length of turnouts quite a loyt by adopting a closer to scale "6 foot".

Hi Joseph, perhaps monster was a bit OTT but it certainly is bigger, and looks more the part due to near correct sleeper size and spacing. Anyway my order for 00-SF gauges is in and so is one to Marcway for some track materials.

• RMweb Gold

Here is an draft outline of the track plan that I have done in Templot.

The lines at the extreme ends fall on a gradient of 1 in 100 to the fiddle yard which will be underneath the area at the top of the plan.

The layout of the goods yard and loco MPD (at the bottom) are yet to be finalised, so comments welcome please.

post-16241-0-14420800-1389446550_thumb.png

• Like 4

Hi Jonathan,

That plan looks extremely impressive indeed! I wish I could get to grips with Templot, looks like you've got it licked, well done!

All I can say about your plan is the outer platform does seem long in comparison to the inner one - but that's just an observation, not a criticism!  

Good work,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Johnathan,

I like it, not that I am an expert.

Two questions.  I assume you have enough run rounds in your goods yard, although if it is bottom right then it looks alright.

How far below the main board will the fiddle yard be, and will it be below the above boards or just in front.  1 in 100 is good but will it give enough room?

• RMweb Gold

Curve through the platforms looks a bit tight but you are probably stuck with that because of the chimney.

Not quite sure why the baseboard is so wide at bottom left.

Hi Joseph, perhaps I should have explained that the baseboard edge isn't going to be the real edge of the layout. It was just a line I drew to show me where 3' wide was and to let me see where the passage way between the two "rooms" was.

Hi John E, The platform is that long as I haven't learnt how to make it shorter, it won't be this long on the real thing. The curves are 36" minimum on the main line and on the branch. On the mainline through the platforms the minimum is just over 40" but through the branch platform it's down to 30" so I'll have a look if I can increase this by making a sharper radius after the junction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Johnathan,

I like it, not that I am an expert.

Two questions.  I assume you have enough run rounds in your goods yard, although if it is bottom right then it looks alright.

How far below the main board will the fiddle yard be, and will it be below the above boards or just in front.  1 in 100 is good but will it give enough room?

Hi Chris, there will be just enough height to get my hand under when something comes off the rails, as it will. While I prefer 1 in 100 it may be nearer to 1 in 75 but no more. The bottom right is the MPD and is still under development, you might just be able to make out the outline of the shed on the four parallel roads. The goods yard is below the station and the track next to the branch platform is a run round loop. The yard is still to be properly developed.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, there will be just enough height to get my hand under when something comes off the rails, as it will. While I prefer 1 in 100 it may be nearer to 1 in 75 but no more. The bottom right is the MPD and is still under development, you might just be able to make out the outline of the shed on the four parallel roads. The goods yard is below the station and the track next to the branch platform is a run round loop. The yard is still to be properly developed.

Jonathan,

That makes sense to me.  That MPD looks big enough to get plenty of locos in.  Should be fun, (but perhaps expensive.) 

Sorry to ask silly questions but I usually do in case no one else has.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In between boarding out the rafters, I have been using Templot to design the various junctions and crossovers for Derwent. I could not resist taking a photo of the main junction, Derwent North Junction which is a double junction on a curve. Needless to say I will start by building single turnouts first before I get to make this junction.

post-16241-0-22858500-1390145511_thumb.jpg

and just to give you an idea of its size here is one with a suburban coach.

post-16241-0-26048800-1390145574_thumb.jpg

The coach has just come out of platform 2 on the down main and is taking the branch.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see further progress, Jonathan.

Is the room now fully boarded/"windowed"/insulated and ready for action?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, hope the move preps are going okay. As to the railway room (no longer referred to as loft) the floor is down and windows in. One slope has been insulated and is in the process of being boarded over, I guess I/3 has been done. The south slope is awaiting a quote for PV solar panels as the fitters will need access to the inside, I don't want them to spoil my work. 

The track-making bits and pieces arrived today so I am awaiting C&L stocking 00-FS gauges, as they have taken over from Brian (polybear). But I might just get a simple turnout timbered up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I got the timbers laid on the Templot plan and I thought I would have a go at the crossing vee.

post-16241-0-73381000-1390333574_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-30343600-1390333600_thumb.jpg

So far so good I thought and having read on the Templot and Hand-built Track forum on here that somebody had gauged his first turnout using Romford wagon wheels, or may be Maygib, I thought why not, it's my first go and it's only for the MDP yard so if I make a mess of it, it wont matter too much.

post-16241-0-44817400-1390333664_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-73449200-1390333687_thumb.jpg

And if I say so myself, not bad, not bad at all, a Dapol and a Parkside wagon runs through very nicely. The tie bar is not in place, I want to research a good method. The black art of hand-built track has me hooked.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

Excellent! That certainly looks better than my first effort, keep on going, I say!

Cheers,

John E.

Too kind John. I think making that Brassmaster's Black 5 last year has sharpened up my soldering skills, but I may just wait for the correct gauges before doing another.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much in the way of progress but after waiting for a local firm to give me a quote for pv solar panels and still waiting, I went with a national firm who gave me all the figures the same day and two weeks later had the panels fitted, all without going in the loft, so now am generating most day time electricity we use as well as feeding the extra into the grid. The rate of return seems much better that keeping the money in the bank. So time to get on with finishing the insulaltion between the rafters and getting it boarded over. I want this part finished by Easter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not much in the way of progress but after waiting for a local firm to give me a quote for pv solar panels and still waiting, I went with a national firm who gave me all the figures the same day and two weeks later had the panels fitted, all without going in the loft, so now am generating most day time electricity we use as well as feeding the extra into the grid. The rate of return seems much better that keeping the money in the bank. So time to get on with finishing the insulaltion between the rafters and getting it boarded over. I want this part finished by Easter.

Where did they site the inverter Jonathan  -ours is up in the roof to minimise the length of dc cabling (and yes, the return is better than you get having the money sitting in the bank ;) ).