Building two Comet Triplets

• RMweb Premium

post-2326-0-99671700-1375109490_thumb.jpg

SWMBO has often told me that procrastination is the thief of time so, after much procrastination, I am embarking on the build of a Comet Models Triplet. Yes I know I've been mumbling about it for ages, but now I really do have to get on with it. 

However, before I begin, I must advise of a health warning. This build will be so slow that you might get so frustrated that you will need medical attention.

I'm including the ramblings of the build here as I will need advice. I apologise but I find Blogs a bit 'secluded' when one needs advice.

I do have the great advantage of an existing Triplet that I have on loan; how good is that?

So, tomorrow I shall take the bits and post some pics so anyone that's interested can see what's going on.

This for me will be a bit of an adventure as I am planning to build it to a 'painting ready' stage. Not sure if I will do the internals; I shall discuss that with the new owner with whom this is being done as a joint project. I do not normally build coaches to this 'level' :nono:

I do the build, he gets them painted and the 'after paint' detailing (maybe door handles and a few commodes; not sure yet).

So, with reference drawings from Isinglass as bed-time reading and the beautifully finished existing Triplet to unwrap and admire tomorrow I shall leave this post with my request.

That is, if you have built one of these kits can I please ask for your tips and tricks?

It is to be built to a condition in which they would have been found in 1958. My knowledge of LNER stock is limited to that which is provided in the relevant books and on the Comet info sheet (& drawings of course).

Thanks,

P @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

Here are the parts one receives in the kit box:

post-2326-0-14993800-1375175103_thumb.jpg

Here are the main etches (not the bogies).

post-2326-0-23640200-1375175129_thumb.jpg

I shall be tackling the Kitchen car first (unless I am advised otherwise). That is the centre etch on each fret.

P

Hi Mallard60022,

Good on you for having a go at the Comet RTS.  Actually as I right this in OZ, I have the Comet kitchen car in front of me.  I am fitting glazing.  I bought it off a fellow RMWebber off ebay.  I knew his work, so had no trouble in buying items as the sides, floor, underframe, bogies and the start of the kitchen interior had all been done and painted to an excellent standard. So just interiors, roofs and fitting bogies to do. 

Someone else has asked if they are Cooper-craft (ex Mailcoach/Kirk) seating.  I think that the seating in reataurant cars was of the individual type, not bench seating. Cooper-craft have seating/armchairs listed under spares at GBP2.50.  I have just taken a photo and will post as soon as I have downloaded it. A sample of the chairs is in the front of the coach.

I also picked up a Kirk RTS last week from a deceased estate. It looks complete.  With it were 3 other Kirk LNER kits, a Composite end vestibule which I have had on order from Coopercraft since May last year, a Brake 3rd end Vest and a all 3rd End Vest all for A$30, apx GBP17.50.  So will cancel my order.

The one thing that either kit does not have is instructions.  I need a copy of the roof detail as most of the interior detail is in Nick Campling's book of Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 1 LNER & Constituents.  Can I ask you to post or send me a copy of the drawings/instructions please.

Mark in OZ

• RMweb Premium

JW: re the seats; sorry I have not really looked at them yet so can't say. I'll see to that later when I study the First and Third Diners (Opens) and I shall have to see if we need fixed or loose seating in the First. I have not quite got my head round the seating situation in relation to the date (1958) yet.

Markeg: if you mean the Comet instructions then I now have a set I can copy on for folk.

As for the Kirks I'm sure someone else on RMW (or the LNER Forum) might have those, but if I remember correctly, Kirks are a straightforward build so the instructions from Comet for these coaches (if Geoff does them?) could be of help?

Model Rail April 2006 had an article on the construction of the Kirk Triplet that might help with the others too? Back copies of Model Rail are available.

By the way, spooky that on the other side of the planet, another modeller has a Triplet Diner on the modelling table!

So:

here are the instructions/ drawings provided for the Kitchen Car.

post-2326-0-39996800-1375190717_thumb.jpg

I like the Comet drawings and guidance sheets/instructions as they are clear and concise. They are usually to 'scale' too. However I always try to get additional information and the Isinglass Drawings are just what you need for these LNER coach builds. I have not shewn these here as they are Copyright. They are on loan from the same benefactor that has loaned his completed  Comet Triplet.

I also refer to my small collection of Harris Volumes (and anything else I can lay my hands on :read:)  but these do not have a lot of info on this set; especially pictures.

P

Hi P,

Thanks for the photo of the kitchen car. 

Glazing done, white paper for kitchen side done. The plastic interior is in place with blue tac at the moment as I will need some brass wire for handrail.  Just sourced a length for that.  Under the magnifing glass in Camplings book, no handrails on doors.  Also have Harris's book and Model Rail and Mike Trice sent me some articles.

I checked the Comet site and there are a couple of photos, no instructions.

I have had a thought today that I will use the comet set for LNER era and the Kirk set for BR.  I have built a couple of Kirk LNER 61' teaks, the Rest 1st, before the new Hornby range came out, so was built to match old Hornby teaks.  The Full brake was finished in December just before Hornby announce their full brake.  I have all three coaches attached on a 1m length of track testing running and height.

Photo soon.

Mark in Oz

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the offer and I will take you up on said offer. No hurry to post as I am still on the kitchen car.  Roof and decals to do.

I have added hand rails and painted interior.  Previous owner was fitting out (benches, sinks,etc) the 3 kitchen compartments and attendents compartment, but other than the attendants compt, you don't see it when the roof is on, so I will not be continuing.

In photo below, can any one tell me what these are on the sprue in front of the coach?  I think they might be water tank filler caps for the top of the roof on kitchen car and/or alarm gear.  any thought s greatly appreciated.

Mark

post-7319-0-26499600-1375339331_thumb.jpg

post-7319-0-57835100-1375339612_thumb.jpg

Good luck with the build, Mr Duck ;)

Some inspiration(?) for you (though I'm sure you don't need it)

post-16151-0-94109100-1375342809_thumb.jpg

This is the old PC Models version, which I acquired some years ago. All I've done is to replace the bogies (which were falling apart) with the Bachmann RTR ones, painted the rims and also painted the solebars the correct colour. As Jonathan says, good 'layout stock', but I'm sure yours will 'knock its socks off' in due course. :bb:

• RMweb Premium

I have the article on the Kirk build from Model Rail and it suggests the battery Boxes on the Kitchen Car should be central, despite what is shown on Isinglass drawings and other sources. I have yet to see a model with the boxes in that position and the (only?) picture in my 'Harris' would suggest that the boxes are indeed offset, as Markeg has them. Can anyone confirm the offset (or otherwise) position please?

4479, lovely set isn't it and thanks for the kind comments. I think GN will be having the set in 1958 condition; that's if I ever get it finished ready for final details and painting :rtfm:

I too will not be detailing the Kitchen Car interior, but don't tell anyone. The Car had all windows 'whited' in 1958.

JW, can I ask what the conduits are each side of the gangway door and coming together under the TAG (and thanks for that pic by the way as I was wondering how to replicate the TAG; pity I can't get the newer Hornby roofs as spares)? 

Oh yes, my excuse for non progress is that I await permission from the owner of the 'loaned' Triplet to 'show' the finshed aricles on here.

P

can I ask what the conduits are each side of the gangway door and coming together under the TAG

They're either water tank fillers or overflows, I can't remember now.

The alarm gear is highly representative - I'd love to be able to get hold of some more accurate bits but no-one seems inclined to do them and what you see there passes the 4' test.

Thanks Jonathan for info on electrical jumpers.  I looked after I posted at my photos I took of the Severn Valley stock in 2011 and discovered what they were.  Then had to go out to a fellow modeller's retirement do.  Anyway I have some spares now and will use them on the kirk kit as they are already fitted to the end coaches.

Re: Alarm gear I will use a couple of handrail knobs and wire, again the 3' test comes into play.

Phil, I should ask you, now that we are into this RTS build, rather than me start my own thread, if I may share your thread.  My apologies if I over step the 'mark'. 

The battery boxes on my set are set at 58mm from the left and 68mm from the right on both sides.  Checking the Campling book, the photos show this, but the drawing is at near centre with a couple of mm off centre.

4479, nice PC model set there.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely fine. Let's have another webber join and then there would be a triplet of Triplets (sorry) :O

The Model Rail article also suggests that the Kitchen had larger battery boxes; 4mm in our builds. Personally I don't think that would show, but I have dug out some MJT ones to see if they are the same size as Comet's.

P

Okay, in the last hour or so I have drilled pilot holes in the kitchen coach roof with a Pin vice and 0.8 drill bit.  Will need to open them out for fitting of Torpedo Vents.  Ventilator cowlings and tank filler caps have been measured and marked out.  You will notice in the photo below a peice of paper marked with all details.

Tea time is calling and off to the Orchestra tonight.

MArk

post-7319-0-21749000-1375432317_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil,

I am looking forward to following this one.

Hi Mark, good to see it on the bench and that you will do better than I did and get it finished.

Your teak finish looks interesting. Care to describe it?

Hi Mike,

Mark I hope you don't mind me answering this one? It was painted with peach acrylic as an undercoat (after priming with Halfords grey primer). Then the black veining was done using an artists brush that is flat but has some of the bristles missing (sorry I cannot bring the name of it to mind at the moment). Then several coats of Ronseal teak gloss varnish were painted over the top - I cannot remember how many off hand but it featured on my 4mm thread at the time so it may say on there.

Archived