Oops! Flask train off the rails at Salthouse Jnc, Barrow.

No, that was Lindal in Furness! 66 125 has arrived with Bescot's 'baby' crane -

post-8271-0-98055000-1379613111_thumb.jpg

But at the moment they seem to attempting, with some success, to lift it back on with jacks -

post-8271-0-14918300-1379592872_thumb.jpg

Note the end nearest is now in the air. Note also the police blue tape, so no better photo's I'm afraid! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 3

It's over, well mainly! -

post-8271-0-08046900-1379613608_thumb.jpg

The flask carrier was re-railed by 5pm and the 57's re-united with it. They then proceeded to push it to & fro slowly! I'm guessing while the wheels etc. were checked over.

The 'big yellow lorry -

post-8271-0-04454800-1379613625_thumb.jpg

And the state of the track afterwards -

post-8271-0-99682200-1379613639_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look like the 'main line' is damaged, so hopefully the line should be back to normal tomorrow?  Some relaying is going to need doing but there is a 'point kit' sitting by the site of Salthouse box, so this may have been on the cards anyway. kev.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Note the end nearest is now in the air. Note also the police blue tape, so no better photo's I'm afraid! Kev.

Pics of the rerailing coaches would be good though! I only have good pics of one side as it's only viewable from one side at BS. (Hoping that the side you can see is the side I want info for........)

Edit: The side I need pics for is the one visible behind the 66 - the other two vehicles of the BS re-railing train are the ex Super-GUV's.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Well they were busy over the weekend!  All the sleepers from the trap point to the mainline point have been replaced as well as the first six big sleepers of this as well. All with new baseplates and fixings as well as what looks like virgin bullhead rail! The strange thing is that the 'point kit' is still sat 50 yards away, so are they going to come back and replace it all again? Kev.

Thanks Tim.  That's a lot of wheels off!  It's further forward than I thought too.  Still stuck there, apparently when they try to jack it up the jacks are sinking rather than lift the wagon!  I think the plan for tomorrow is to bring in a 75 ton crane. The local radio is reporting the line as closed from 10am until 4pm. Kev.

Lucky the flask was empty they'd never shift it if it was full. I believe Uranium and Plutonium are pretty heavy stuff.

probably didnt look much better before either, those sleepers look a bit rotten.

Very true Andy. You can see from the picture above that that the 'mainline' is still bullhead rail through that point too. If I'm not mistaken this short stretch (100 yards?) is the only remaining bullhead between the Barrow station area and Carnforth! Why it has never been replaced I have no idea, as some other stretches have had flat bottom renewed with more flat bottomed lately? Mind this may be about to change as apart from the point kit, there are now piles of steel sleepers and new rail stockpiled alongside the track all the way round to near Roose station now. Kev.

edit - 'point kit' has turned out to be an expansion joint! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo

from the news page of DRS web site..... http://www.directrailservices.com/news-articles/2013/10/03/initial-findings-into-de-railment-at-barrow/

DRS's internal investigation is on-going as to what caused the derailment at Salthouse Junction, Barrow on 16th September 2013. An interim report is nearing conclusion with initial findings indicating the incident was a result of human error. At this stage the cause of the wagon becoming de-railed was as a result of rail staff failing to operate the ground frame mechanism correctly. As a direct result the train was de-railed by the safety mechanism (Catch Points) in a controlled manner in accordance with its design. There are no indications at this stage of any fault or defect in any of the track, signalling or rail vehicles involved

Click on the above link for full story....

Ian

Very true Andy. You can see from the picture above that that the 'mainline' is still bullhead rail through that point too. If I'm not mistaken this short stretch (100 yards?) is the only remaining bullhead between the Barrow station area and Carnforth! Why it has never been replaced I have no idea, as some other stretches have had flat bottom renewed with more flat bottomed lately? Mind this may be about to change as apart from the point kit, there are now piles of steel sleepers and new rail stockpiled alongside the track all the way round to near Roose station now. Kev.

edit - 'point kit' has turned out to be an expansion joint! Kev.

Those metal sleepers and rails have been there months.

• RMweb Gold

from the news page of DRS web site..... http://www.directrailservices.com/news-articles/2013/10/03/initial-findings-into-de-railment-at-barrow/

DRS's internal investigation is on-going as to what caused the derailment at Salthouse Junction, Barrow on 16th September 2013. An interim report is nearing conclusion with initial findings indicating the incident was a result of human error. At this stage the cause of the wagon becoming de-railed was as a result of rail staff failing to operate the ground frame mechanism correctly. As a direct result the train was de-railed by the safety mechanism (Catch Points) in a controlled manner in accordance with its design. There are no indications at this stage of any fault or defect in any of the track, signalling or rail vehicles involved

Click on the above link for full story....

Ian

i.e. it either failed to stop in the right place and ran through the trap points, or someone didn't respond correctly to a handsignal/whatever while the points were being changed or someone didn't check the points before authorising a movement over them.  

So either a SPAD if there happened to be a STOP board (is there one?), or failure to respond to a handsignal, or failure to check the points were correctly set before authorising the train to pass over them.  Time required to reach a conclusion - about 10 minutes if everybody is telling the truth, sounds a bit more complicated than that though ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...