Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

Also, it looked as if it was designed only to be driven one way, presumably it needed turning in order to come back!

The Type 27 was light enough for a gang of 2 to lift and frequently was (although it had a reverse gear it was easier to drive any distance forward.)

Likely to be an N gauge mechanism but just what has it to pull? Other than maybe a trolley - are we even sure that one will be included? Still no actual details posted AFAICS

• RMweb Premium

I remember our PWay trying out a motorised inspection trolley with 4 seats mounted within an exposed square-tube chassis frame, not entirely unlike a bigger Ariel Atom, i.e no weather protection! Also, it looked as if it was designed only to be driven one way, presumably it needed turning in order to come back!

It might have been a demonstrator as it wasn't around for long but IIRC it had a fair turn of speed!

John

The Epping Ongar Railway have something similar but its only a 2 seater.

http://eorailway.co.uk/departments/rolling-stock/other/

about halfway down the page.

Owen

• RMweb Gold

The Epping Ongar Railway have something similar but its only a 2 seater.

http://eorailway.co.uk/departments/rolling-stock/other/

about halfway down the page.

Owen

I think that could be the one. It was the Yeovil gang using it on our patch.

Could have sworn it was the four seater version though.........

I see the four seaters are on Network Rail's "Not to be used" list these days but no mention of the two seaters which suggests there are none left in service with approved contractors.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

A bit before that; the basic Unimog came out from Matchbox in 1967. This was the original type with the rounded front :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnrobert/8206609849/

Thats not the one, its the later model with the 'square' cab. London Transport has/had a pair of them, I believe they are up for disposal. Pictures of them have recently been posted on the London Transport Service Vehicles site.

Refering to Post 29 from Kenton, Bachmann's web site used to show a picture of a Wickham type 27 trolley which is what they said they'd produce. When it was there you could click on it and it said it would be produced with a trailer. The pictures have been removed now though, so there's nothing to click on for more information !

Hatton's web site says it's coming with a trailer though.

Edited by Combe Martin

• 5 months later...

That's what Silver Fox Models do on theirs.

I am rather hoping that Bachmann will go for one with the curtains furled and putting the drive in the trailer would allow that. 

John

Just what Silver Fox model do you mean? I cannot see this in the current Silver Fox Models website.

Christopher

• RMweb Gold

Just what Silver Fox model do you mean? I cannot see this in the current Silver Fox Models website.

Christopher

I remember seeing one on an exhibition layout about two or three years back and was told by the operator that it was a Silver Fox product.

It appeared to be a one-piece resin casting with black painted "windows" and the owner said it was fitted over a Bachmann HO Gandy dancer. Naturally, the weather curtains at the sides were modelled closed to hide it. 

I'd guess they may have stopped making them in anticipation of Bachmann's model.

John

• 8 months later...

Just received an email from Hattons

We write with regards to the Bachmann Wickham trolley you have on order with us. When you placed the order we did not have an accurate price for this model as we had not been given the RRP information by the manufacturer. However, we have now been informed that the RRP for this model is £79.95.

This is quite a large price rise from £40 - it even outdoes commuter rail fare increases!. Hattons do go on to say

This means that the Hatton’s price will be £67.96 which is exactly 15% below the RRP. We recognise that this is a higher price than we originally thought but have been keen to stress at all times that the price was estimated price and subject to rise.

At an estimate of £1 a gram - it is considerably more than the price of Silver!

We write with regards to the Bachmann Wickham trolley you have on order with us. When you placed the order we did not have an accurate price for this model as we had not been given the RRP information by the manufacturer. However, we have now been informed that the RRP for this model is £79.95.

This is quite a large price rise from £40 - it even outdoes commuter rail fare increases!. Hattons do go on to say

This means that the Hatton’s price will be £67.96 which is exactly 15% below the RRP. We recognise that this is a higher price than we originally thought but have been keen to stress at all times that the price was estimated price and subject to rise.

Interesting - I pre-ordered one when it was announced, but I haven't had an e-mail.  As you say, quite a price hike, but I was surprised how cheap the original estimate was.  I guess it won't stop me buying one!

• Like 1

Yep, I've got this too. It is a big increase, but the original price was silly. So I'll be sticking with this one. 

• Like 1

We write with regards to the Bachmann Wickham trolley you have on order with us.

Me too.

Probably worth it's weight in gold as my eye sight would not be up to building a mechanism that small these days.

Not only will it provide me with an essential  item of rolling stock. It opens up the possibility of sticking the guts of it into various other odd small industrial machines.

Bernard

Just regarding the drive mechanism mentioned earlier;

I wonder if it might be an adaptation of the one axle drive system as fitted to their Birkenhead tram. Lovely 12 volt motor (Despite what anyone else claims) and clever pick up system. Runs sweetly despite only four wheel pick up and runs even better with a zimo chip.

Some pics of the dismantled tram drive here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86648-newbie-needs-help-with-Bachmann-tram-dcc-conversion/&do=findComment&comment=1495402.

Maybe with Bachmann buying power they have managed to source a shorter motor to shrink the wheelbase??

Porcy

I can't remember if I pre-ordered one though I'm pretty sure I did but I've heard nothing from Hattons yet.

My e-mail from Hattons arrived this morning, so apparently they don't all get sent at once (which is what you might think), so you may get an e-mail in the next day or two I guess.  If not, I would give them a ring.

My e-mail from Hattons arrived this morning, so apparently they don't all get sent at once (which is what you might think), so you may get an e-mail in the next day or two I guess.  If not, I would give them a ring.

Doesn't seem to be actually in stock though.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Doesn't seem to be actually in stock though.

Regards

I'm not expecting it any time soon, Bachmann's web site just shows it as "on order" whereas the furthest ahead that some other items are noted for is Nov/Dec.  I suppose we might get it for Christmas if we're lucky !!