Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

Surely the tram chassis, although quite small, must be far bigger than one for the Wickham trolley.

As I said, "It may have been adapted" but in the words of Manuel, "I know nothing".

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

My first thought was to agree with you 100%.

However it looks as though the wheelbase of the trailer is the same as the trolley.

Solution?

Dump the trolley and scratch build a new body for the trailer and run it with the curtains down.

To me the worst feature is the gigantic coupling.

Looking forward to having a go at it.

Just wondering what work needs doing regarding pick ups.

Bernard

Somebody (Silver Fox?) used to do a resin body with the curtains down to fit over the HO Bachmann Gandy Dancer and may have offered r-t-r ones. 

I've seen quite a few over the years and wouldn't be surprised if used examples emerge from the woodwork when Bachmann's are released. 

John

• Like 1

I can't see why they've decided to hide the motor in the trailer when there are such small motors available. I built one in 'N' and used a RTR Japanese chassis. Now it's run in it is quite a bit slower than in the video

https://youtu.be/uOyKHXJxTyQ

Sorry, don't seem to be able to imbed the video in the post anymore, just a link. I don't think I've done anything different?

Gareth

Blimey, if someone has done it in N with no visible intrusion as far as I can see - maybe some under the centre seats perhaps? Then 00 should have been a breeze!

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, if someone has done it in N with no visible intrusion as far as I can see - maybe some under the centre seats perhaps? Then 00 should have been a breeze!

Yes but the wheels are massively oversize for N (if not OO) so there's probably as much room under it as there would be under an OO one.

There's also a big difference between making a model for your own use and making a few thousand for other people. The problem Bachmann have is that they sell "train set" track so all their other products have to work on it. 

I see your point about the centre seats but maybe Bachmann thought that boxing in underneath them might have attracted the odd critical remark..........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Just come across a model by DC Kits that has a one piece resin body on a Bullant drive unit.

Can any one point me in the direction of a drawing for the Bachmann offering and also while my interest is high the type 17?

Bernard

That looks like an updated version of the one I remember. Body kit £20, Body kit + Bullant chassis £55, r-t-r on Bullant chassis £75.

Don't know about drawings but N Brass Kits do the Type 17 as well (despite the name, the kits are 4mm scale and I think they do some in 7mm, too).

Incidentally, what engine was used in these? I've seen a preserved one with (I think) a Ford ohv (Anglia/Cortina) engine.

I'm guessing it might have had the 1172cc side-valve 'Pop' engine originally but I vaguely recall seeing a reference to some having JAP V-twins as used in Morgan 3-wheelers. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Yes but the wheels are massively oversize for N (if not OO) so there's probably as much room under it as there would be under an OO one.

'Massively oversize' is a bit of an exaggeration but you can't really get the wheels any smaller in 'N' and fit a gear to the axle. There is still plenty of room under it as the non driven wheelset doesn't have a  whole axle, rather each wheel has a stub axle. You could easily fit a motor under an 'OO' one as it is 4 times larger!

Gareth

• RMweb Gold

'Massively oversize' is a bit of an exaggeration but you can't really get the wheels any smaller in 'N' and fit a gear to the axle. There is still plenty of room under it as the non driven wheelset doesn't have a  whole axle, rather each wheel has a stub axle. You could easily fit a motor under an 'OO' one as it is 4 times larger!

Gareth

I don't think the wheels on the one in the video are significantly smaller than those Bachmann are using so the gearing would still be an issue in 4mm.

John

It looks a lot better than I was expecting, something like their HO Speeder. I suppose they've gone for the trailer for better pickups (I hope, at least) and because it's usually a unidirectional prototype(?); yes, perhaps a belt drive mech would have been more interesting, but let's see how well it runs. Critter-fodder... :secret:

Over on MRE, Phil Parker has published photos of the engineering prototype model from Bachmann

See here http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/210-bachmannwickhamep

The release of this information was quoted in post 52.

It came directly from Bachmann.

I think it only fair to Bachmann to give them credit for the information rather than the second hand source.

Bernard

I don't think the wheels on the one in the video are significantly smaller than those Bachmann are using so the gearing would still be an issue in 4mm.

IIRC Wickham wheels are 18 inch diameter so 6mm in 'OO'. The 'N' chassis has 4mm ones rather than 3mm so still 2/3rds of the size. Whatever you may think of one in 'N' there is still plenty of room to have fitted the motor in the 'OO' one rather than the trailer but as I don't model in 'OO' I won't lose any sleep over it ;)

Gareth

• RMweb Gold

IIRC Wickham wheels are 18 inch diameter so 6mm in 'OO'. The 'N' chassis has 4mm ones rather than 3mm so still 2/3rds of the size. Whatever you may think of one in 'N' there is still plenty of room to have fitted the motor in the 'OO' one rather than the trailer but as I don't model in 'OO' I won't lose any sleep over it ;)

Gareth

Gareth,

I hope I didn't come across as "getting at" you. Looking at the video again, the vehicle evidently rides a bit high which draws attention to the wheels.

This is, no doubt, unavoidable given the low floor height of the prototype and the use of a chassis made for something else. You have my sincere admiration for making it fit at all.

It also occurs that it might be possible to put longer axles into such a mechanism made for N and use it in larger scales.

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

On that basis - my pre-order has been cancelled.

The essential character, for me, of a PW trolley was the simplicity and incongruity of the single vehicle.

Yes, they pulled a trailer occasionally, but not all the time  - and certainly not as substantial-looking as that shown in the sample.

I did wonder how they'd do it, and the answer seems to be that they haven't.

Shame!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I have come across a photo of a very similar trailer, albeit with slightly lower sides and being "hand operated" taken at Lapford, North Devon in 1964.

Source: Southern Steam Miscellany, edited by Fairclough & Wills, Bradford Barton, 1977, (p.46).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

You will have fun making the scale cigarettes but I am sure someone will tell you they are either over scale or the wrong colour!

...and someone else will ask if there's a Halfords colour match for them.

• Like 1

All we now need are 4mm scale St Trinian's teachers, one of whom holding a megaphone.

Incidentally, what engine was used in these? I've seen a preserved one with (I think) a Ford ohv (Anglia/Cortina) engine.

I'm guessing it might have had the 1172cc side-valve 'Pop' engine originally but I vaguely recall seeing a reference to some having JAP V-twins as used in Morgan 3-wheelers. 

John

The one used in the St Trinian's film was WD9033 which, according to the recent book, had a Ford 109E engine and a three speed Morris gear box. However, it differed from the Bachmann model in having side panels.

I will wait until it arrives to see if it possible to swap the trolley and trailer bodies as the panels would hide the motor and the trailer could run (nearly) empty. I also do not know if my skills will allow it.  :scratchhead:

Tony

Ultra Scale have this model on their listing as a potential conversion to EM or P4. AGW doesn't come close to a 6mm wheel. I'd like to have this model, assuming that Bachmann get it reasonably right, but it does depend on the availability of the wheel sets.

A few months a go I sent an email to Ultra Scale concerning the availability of the wheels sets for the Bachmann Dukedog and I was told, very politely it should be said, that new projects have been put on the back burner in order to reduce the manufacturing backlog of the current catalogue. So it doesn't look at all hopeful that new conversion sets are going to be available any time soon.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold

The one used in the St Trinian's film was WD9033 which, according to the recent book, had a Ford 109E engine and a three speed Morris gear box. However, it differed from the Bachmann model in having side panels.

Tony

Thanks. That suggests the one I remember was probably standard (or the one from the film) as the 1340cc Classic/Capri unit was outwardly similar to the 1200 and 1500 lumps.

Earlier examples must have used something else, though, as the aforementioned ohv Ford engines only date from around 1959.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The usual engine was the Ford 100E side valve unit though a variety of engines were available ranging from the aforementioned JAP V-twin to Perkins and Gardner diesels. Meadows and Lister engines were also employed.

I am sure that I have seen photo's of Wickham trolleys on a very short stretch of track set at right angles to a running line.

If so, how did they gain access to a running line.?

Manpower, Lift & carry