Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

Hi All,

How heavy were the trolleys?

Not hugely - they have a relatively light wood and steel construction, a small car style engine and gearbox so they don't weigh a lot.* How do I know? The restoration of the Trolley at Didcot has been taken on by the young volunteers and they manoeuvred it from an isolated stretch of track to a connected bit over some distance with little interference and keen observations by the adults!

All the best,

Castle

* This is of course a relative term - everything else on the railway is REALLY heavy!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

How heavy were the trolleys?

The Wickham of Ware Yahoo group posted the following.

"Wickham's own brochures suggest tares of 17cwt for an open 27 Mk IV and 20cwt for a semi-open 27A Mk IV."

I think I'll leave it to the youngsters.

Tony

So two screws to gain access to what under the trolley and one screw to gain access to the trailer (and probably a bit of moulding to break)

So who is going to be the first to get inside and see if the motor is anything of any use on something more useful (in 009 perhaps)

and to see what is taking all that space under the trolley - where a tiny Jap motor should be?

The detail on the trolley looks really good - the trailer is a load of nonsense a contrivance to push/pull the real model not seen anything like it in reality (ok, I'm ready for the deluge of photos) but until then it remains what it seems - overscale and simply daft.

You buy one for me and I'll do the appraisal... :mocking_mini:

Let the deluge begin.

https://flic.kr/p/qTPW4E

I think it's on David Fords or Irishswissernies flickr stream that shows a nice pic of a Trolley loaded up with personnel pulling a trailer full of Oxy acetylene cylinders and burning gear. I also have a copy of a pic that shows a trailer loaded with a large wheeled self powered compressor.

P

• Like 1

Let the deluge begin.

https://flic.kr/p/qTPW4E

Not even damp ;) That is a good example of jut how out of scale this model of a trailer is. The sides are too high and it looks just what it is (an excuse to put a big motor in something to push the real model along) On top of that as indicated above the trailers were not that common a sight. I'm sorry but IMO Bachmann have failed at the first hurdle when it really would not have been beyond their capability to have used a tiny motor. I'm still intrigued as to what the two screws are for on the trolley and how much space there actually is under there. But not enough to buy one.

• Administrators

I'm sorry but IMO Bachmann have failed at the first hurdle when it really would not have been beyond their capability to have used a tiny motor.

Impressive that you know Bachmann's capabilities better than they appear to do.

The point is that if the Wickham is no good then it leaves the field open for those capable of building a working trolley-free version to show off. After all, Bachmann have to design something capable of being mass-manufactured and assembled down to a price. The scratchbuilder isn't constrained in the same way. For a start, they won't have to use any of that flimsy plastic. Metal parts should be thinner and make the job even easier.

The point is that if the Wickham is no good then it leaves the field open for those capable of building a working trolley-free version to show off. After all, Bachmann have to design something capable of being mass-manufactured and assembled down to a price. The scratchbuilder isn't constrained in the same way. For a start, they won't have to use any of that flimsy plastic. Metal parts should be thinner and make the job even easier.

At first sight of the price I had my doubts about this but having seen it in the flesh I reckon it will sell like hot cakes. Bachmann's US section does a pump trolley with two guys who bob up and down. It has a massive box to house the motor and doesn't really look much like a real pump trolley but it has novelty value and that's what sells it. They also have a series of Hi-rails which are dimensionally distorted in order to get the mechanisms in. I don't think that worries many people, either. The Wickham trolley offers that same kind of novelty and I doubt that many potential buyers will be put off by the fact that the trailer is a bit too tall.

CHRIS LEIGH

Not even damp ;) That is a good example of jut how out of scale this model of a trailer is. The sides are too high and it looks just what it is (an excuse to put a big motor in something to push the real model along)

The wheels match on the model trailer too, unlike on the real thing in the photo :stinker:.

• Like 2

perhaps I just have simple expectations. I think they have just settled into the rut of making big boxes which have room to spare for big motors and mechanisms. I'm not sure why they didn't simply do a covered version. I appreciate the detail in the trolley and understand the loathing of many to build from a kit. Especially as the availability (and final price) of a kit is too high.

As I said I'm intrigued by the trailer as it may have potential in other models/scales maybe under 7mm Type 27 trolley? But it just looks wrong in 4mm. Respect to those who do just want a toy to have fun with just like Thomas & Co.

I seem to recall a technical explanation as to why a very small motor would be no good in this model.  As I recall it's because the wheels are very small so the axle is very low meaning not enough clearance for a big gear wheel, which is what would be needed for a small motor (to rev its guts out).  A tiny motor hasn't got much torque so can't drive a small gear wheel which is all that there's room for.

This isn't my explanation, so please don't shoot the messanger.

• RMweb Gold

At first sight of the price I had my doubts about this but having seen it in the flesh I reckon it will sell like hot cakes. Bachmann's US section does a pump trolley with two guys who bob up and down. It has a massive box to house the motor and doesn't really look much like a real pump trolley but it has novelty value and that's what sells it. They also have a series of Hi-rails which are dimensionally distorted in order to get the mechanisms in. I don't think that worries many people, either. The Wickham trolley offers that same kind of novelty and I doubt that many potential buyers will be put off by the fact that the trailer is a bit too tall.

CHRIS LEIGH

There are people who will build the brass kit and make it work without a trailer, but it won't come in at even double Bachmann's price and your all live-frog track had better be perfect if you want to use it without a lot of bad language. Bachmann's has to work on Bachmann track, ruddy great dead frogs and all.

The trailer is a bit on the high side but only by a mm or so compared to some used in the West Country that were often moved around by hand (published photo ref in Post 91). I dread to think what it was like to push one if even half-filled with ballast and controlling it going downhill would have been fun! IIRC there were two sorts seen in this neck of the woods, those like in the picture and flat ones.

My own assessment as to why Bachmann's model has a trailer is simple - getting current collection over a long enough spread to make it run reasonably well on crap track with enough weight in each vehicle to prevent the pick-ups acting as a handbrake on the unpowered trolley.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• Administrators

There are people who will build the brass kit and make it work without a trailer,

Are there though? I've never seen a working 4mm Wickham trolley and they are so novel, I'd have expected to see at least one. There was an article in a very old RM but that model used a trolley with a big load on the back to hide the motor.

Making a working machine with side covers down would be reasonably easy, that's not what people want to see. They want open sides, leaving little space for motor and gears.

I agree with Chris, having got my hands on the test shot, it's going to sell like hot cakes no matter how many people post they aren't buying one. A week after it hits the shops, you'll see them on layouts up and down the country, probably being chased by an APT-E. If I have a complaint about the model, it's that fuggly plug and socket in the middle. The rest I could live with.

• Like 4

I saw a Ford Focus for sale in the garage on the way to work. It was red and had a spoiler on the back, alloy wheels and the garage would take part exchange.

I won't be buying it though.

(I just thought I'd keep with the spirit of the thread by presuming everyone would be interested in knowing who isn't buying what)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of very small locos in n gauge, from Arnold.  The ruler is to show the size. 

I suspect that in 00 the motor and drive train if taken straight from one of these and fitted to a chassis of the right wheelbase would not fit under the floor of a Wickham trolley.

post-5613-0-37266400-1441651172_thumb.jpg

David

Edited by DaveF

It can be done, with the curtains down -

attachicon.gifDSCF0001.JPG

But as has been mentioned, with only four (tiny!) wheels to pick up from, it aint the best runner! Kev.

Kev, nice is t it.

I've seen others, I think Bubbles on here has made a nice job of one as well?

The point is the Bachy one has the curtains up, you can fit a crew inside, and I'm sure with a bit of ballast on top and weathering the trailer will look good enough.

If as a result, the compromise is having to have a trailer, then so be it.

Having been messing about with micro motors, from mobiles, for a number of reasons, whilst they might have the oomph to turn a tiny cam to vibrate, they struggle to even turn a propellor for any length of time.

• Like 1

With great respect to DaveF and Blackrat, I would have to disagree.

There are people who have built bogies with 2 or 3 axle mounted motors in, that have the diameter barely over 1/4 of an inch- or who are driving them through bogie mounted gearboxes that are half the size of a pea.

I would wager that some of the die hard engineering types will have this working within a month of release.

Remember that it does not need to haul a load, nor go fast, nor run very much at all. Now, if/when they achieve this then we can challenge them to put a DCC sound chip in too!