• Error Loading Block, Please Check The Settings
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 08:30 Until 16:00
      Don't miss the 2024 National Garden Railway Show at Stoneleigh, probably the largest event of its kind where 16mm,
      G-Scale and G1 traders and exhibits are all under one roof. This is the show where manufacturers launch new products and where you will find garden railway traders that dont attend other shows, and in some cases, don't trade online!

At least 16 layouts are expected, most with live steam, in various garden gauges and scales, and over 60 exhibitors.
      FREE onsite parking.  FREE ENTRY for accompanied Under 18's - it's a great family day out!

Full steam ahead to Stoneleigh! - the National Garden Railway Show returns to this venue in Warwickshire.
      If you've not been here before then it may be signposted as the National Agricultural Centre as well as Stoneleigh Park.
      Book Online NOW and bring the family - Theres something for everyone to enjoy!
      16 layouts have accepted an invitation to the show - Most with live steam garden scale locos running all day! 
      Over 60 exhibitors are currently expected, new faces and old favourites, selling everything from nuts and bolts to fuel, locos, rolling stock, line side features and garden railway equipment

Free parking for over 2000 vehicles.
      Shuttle mini bus from Coventry BR Station (Pre-Booked bus tickets required)
      Massive prize draw, model of the year competition, Member to member sales, cafe / food and drink outlets
      NB : There is no cash machine - Make sure you bring plenty with you, as not all traders will accept cards / contactless payment!

Don't miss out on a grand day out at the biggest show of its kind in Europe.
      Tickets bought in advance £15.00 (Longer opening hours - All day, 9.30 - 5.00) 
      Important : Online advance ticket sales stop at 09:00 am on 25th April 2024 
      Please make sure you print your tickets and bring them with you! Visitors without a printed ticket or with fraudulent tickets will be refused entry.

www.nationalgardenrailwayshow.org.uk

Tickets also available on the gate for entry from 9.30 am. Card payment subject to availability of wifi connection. 
      Please note : Due to significant fraudulent activity at the 2023 show including ticket duplication, additional security measures will be in place for 2024 which may slow entry. So please make sure you have printed your Online ticket and brought it with you, and dont be tempted to purchase tickets from any source other than the official association ticket shop. The association will be taking action against anyone seeking to defraud or gain unauthorised entry to the event, and venue provided security personnel will be present to assist with this.
    • 27 April 2024 09:00 Until 16:00
    • 28 April 2024
      The SWAG Members day for 2024 is scheduled for Sunday 28th April 2024. 

A show provided by modellers for modellers. 

Hours 
      10AM- 4PM 

Where

Staplegrove Village Hall, 
      214 Staplegrove Road,
      Taunton.
      TA2 6AL 

☆☆☆Please note- There is limited parking at the venue. If parking in the residential areas, please do so with consideration for local residents☆☆☆

Entry 

Entry is FREE but donations are gratefully received to go towards ensuring we can do this again in 2025. 

Layouts

Ten layouts in 2mm F/S, 00, EM, P4, 0-16.5NG and 7mm. 

Demos, 

Bring and buy.

Cake, cups of tea accompanied by a large dollop of gentle banter, good humour. 

Please refer to main thread in area group section of the forum for more details but we hope to see you there. 

Rob. 
    • 02 May 2024 23:00 Until 04 May 2024 23:00
      https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/information/the-bristol-model-railway-exhibition

• 11 May 2024 09:00 Until 15:00
      Annual Immingham Model Rail Show.
      We invite you to another of our highly commended model railway shows.
      2024 Saturday May 11th 10am to 5pm and Sunday May 12th 10am to 4pm. Entry price Adults £5, accompanied Children FREE,  Refreshments available,  Disabled access to main exhibition area
      Layouts
      Invermire – Scottish terminus in 1970’s – 0
      Copper Wort – Burton brewery railway - 00
      North Colton – ECML modern image - N
      Cockshute – mid 1970’s depot near Stoke - 00
      Splott – South Wales steel terminal in the late 1980’s – P4
      Chatsworth Road – Peak District in the 1970’s – P4
      Bytoft Creyk – East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire in the 1960’s - N
      Back ut Shed – Modern image shed scene - 00
      Manygates – East London line scene - 00
      Renewable Railways - Drax – 00
      Wits End - box file layout - N
      Kyle of MacAllan – Scottish shed layout based on Kyle of Lochalsh - EM
      Moorton Bottom Yard – Moorton canal basin goods yard - 009
      Horncastle – What might have been in Horncastle in 1970’s – 00
      Access to Immingham Museum with its two large permanent  layouts and docks and Great Central history;
      Immingham Shed - Scale 1950's Shed Scene in 00
      Barnetby to Wrawby - Modern Image in N
      Support
      There will also be trade stands and society stands including Caistor Loco, CM3 Models, Elaine’s Trains, Peak Rail, Lincolnshire Wolds Railway, O Gauge Guild, Great Central Society, Paul King books
      Address: Civic Centre, Pelham Road, Immingham. DN40 1QF
      Ample Parking satnav DN40 1QF
      No5 bus from Grimsby Town station every 20 mins on Saturday and hourly on Sunday
      Disabled access to main exhibition area
      www.imminghammuseum.org 

• Recent Blog entries

1. This diagram P4 ballast wagon was an eBay purchase, cheaply bought as a 'fixer-upper'. It's built from the PECO (ex Websters) kit, and the original builder had made a reasonable job of construction. The paint finish wasn't great, with a fair amount of dust in it, and the brake gear was smashed:

pic00.jpeg.5e6f7fde3db395bf7e7d2237a87ccbc6.jpeg

The first job was a good clean up, and remove the broken brake gear and couplings - the buffer rams had to stay in place, as the retaining parts on the rear of the rams were very firmly glued on. I scraped the paint back on the main panels, but decided a full paint strip wasn't needed. The wheels needed changing for S7 ones - with these kits, they will spring out of the axleguards, though you have to bend them quite a long way so it is a bit nerve-racking.

pic01.jpeg.44b83c8e32d75d107701bf0fc9644e43.jpeg

With the destruction complete, it was on to rebuilding and detailing. For me, the things that give the wagon its character are:

• the riveted body platework, which the kit does very nicely
      • the door retaining pins with their chains, which are rather anaemic on the kit
      • the large wooden door bangers
      • the axle guard covers, which the kit omits - more on those later.

I did the new door securing pins and chains as follows:

1. I took a length of 5A fuse wire and folded it round the shank of a suitable sized drill (the diameter the ring needs to be). The ends were secured in a pin vice and twisted to form the chain, with the wire still around the drill. Slip the wire off the drill and release the pin vice, and you have a ring and chain.
      2. The securing pins were made from brass wire, about 0.3mm diameter. One end was bent over to form the loop at the top of the pin, and before tightening, the ring of the chain made in step 1 was put into the loop. That gives you a pin-ring-chain assembly.
      3. The pin was held in place on the wagon side with a length of the fuse wire folded over and the two ends put into a 0.5mm hole drilled in the wagon side. A drop of thin CA glue (Rocket 'hot') applied on the end of a bit of wire holds the assembly in place. This is definitely the fiddliest part of the whole operation.
      4. The 'chain' was formed into a loop so it looks like it is hanging down, and the lose end put into another 0.5mm hole and secured with CA glue.
      5. Repeat another seven times...

pic02.jpeg.f6105cf2cc767958d4919790c4ad93c6.jpeg

I fitted one at this stage to make sure it worked as planned, but left the others off until later, to avoid damage to them.

The door bangers provided in the kit are OK, but suffer a bit because the draw angle required to release the parts from the mould goes across the width of the bangers. They therefore look oddly unsymmetrical when looking at them straight on. Also, the original builder had glued some of them on not quite straight, so I decided to remove them all, square them up with a file, and re-attach them.

I also noticed, looking at prototype photos, that the bangers have shallow holes drilled in them, corresponding to the rivets on the door strapping, so that when the door drops down the contact area isn't just the rivet heads. I decided to drill these holes once everything was assembled, so I could position them correctly relative to the door rivets.

The prototype photos show that when built, GWR ballast wagons had sheet metal covers over the axleguards - a very distinctive feature. Later photos don't show them, so they were presumably removed at some point. Checking as many photos as I could find, I was fairly sure that for my 1908 period, the wagon should have the covers - and in any case, how could I resist such a characterful detail?

Working from photos, I drew up the covers in CAD. The drawing was printed at the correct size on a sticky label, which was stuck on to four pieces of 5 thou brass sheet, previously sweated together:

pic03.jpeg.a30ecc5fc1ef01863e98a1a661602aad.jpeg

I cut out the outline with a fine fretsaw blade:

pic04.jpeg.bb29acb6b0c118ebd4b6486a0a89f9cc.jpeg

I left a large 'tab' at the top to make it easier to make the fold where the cover attaches to the bottom flange of the solebar - it is much easier to made the bend this way then try and get an accurate bend parallel and very close to the edge of the material.

The label was removed with white spirit, and the four pieces separated and cleaned up:

pic05.jpeg.10116ff683e70e2430d637adaca3448f.jpeg

I folded up the pieces in the vice, and trimmed the top flange to size:

pic06.jpeg.26e655340ff4810e368c280d81a2cc23.jpeg

The part that goes over the axle box is made by bending the main piece to form the sloping top and short front edge. The sides were from scrap etch, chosen to be the same thickness as the saw cuts. They were cut oversize, soldered in place, and filed back to make a neat final assembly:

pic07.jpeg.81be3ff4ee4b90208fb3d62e10937717.jpeg

pic08.jpeg.93707555495f5efaed7af54e960d303e.jpeg

pic09.jpeg.a62073525d9aa68aa719b143c418162e.jpeg

I did a dry assembly to fettle the covers to fit - I made a mistake and glued the door bangers on first, and had to cut away parts of the covers to accommodate the bangers. It would have been better to do it the other way around. I numbered the covers to ensure they would go back in the right place, as each one needed slightly different adjustments.

pic10.jpeg.011b1f7a3c64fd55a771447e30ccffcb.jpeg

The brake gear was rebuilt using the kit brake shoes and hangers, and WEP and Ambis components for the vee hanger, push rods, and lever. The brake lever guard was my usual combination of the ratchet from the Ambis component, and nickel silver strip bent to shape.

pic11.jpeg.ca771309311da0bcb84c609dbae0254e.jpeg

After a waft of etch primer on the not-yet-attached metal parts, the final assembly got me to a physically complete wagon:

pic12.jpeg.ff11cd935b67d7d1b696e1e71c377608.jpeg

A coat of paint always brings things together, revealing any blemishes but also giving confidence that perhaps it will be OK after all:

pic13.jpeg.acdff9e6c149b9a6d89155a3b2df5eec.jpeg

Lettering was from a sheet of HMRS pressfix transfers, which had the 'PT WAY' text I needed, but which I find difficult to get aligned accurately. I had to get a new sheet to do the 'PT WAY' on the ends as you only get one pair on the sheet, so I bought methfix this time, which allows adjustment more easily.

The lettering isn't strictly accurate - the 'PT WAY' should have the characters all the same size, not a larger P and W. The lettering is generally slightly too big, and as a result there is no room for 'To carry' that should precede '8 tons'. There should also be the word 'Construction' on the ends, in italics. These observations are based on a photo of a diagram P5 - I haven't found a photo of a P4 in pre-1904 livery, so I can perhaps get away with these inaccuracies...

pic14.jpeg.f9cf5494943bb1ddadac0af42364bffe.jpeg

I don't really have a need for a ballast wagon at Netherport, so, after some discussion:

I decided to load it with sand being delivered for the sand boxes of locos and brake vans. The gradient inland away from the harbour at Netherport is steep, so it is important sandboxes are well filled before departure.

The shape of the load was formed with a layer of thin corrugated cardboard followed by some cat litter, glued in place with diluted PVA and moulded to shape. As this was an experiment, I put cling film in the wagon first, so I could remove the former if the cat litter didn't work out:

pic15.jpeg.d20b0e45d4f61e9e1c7637bdf5ee0149.jpeg

The result was OK, but it took a long time to dry and shrank considerably, so I am not sure I would use the cat litter again.

Before gluing the load in and adding the 'sand', I did some initial weathering:

pic16.jpeg.518bef040dc2ca123a556645d9a09221.jpeg

With the former in place, I could add the sand. This was made using a product called 'Terrains Sandy Desert Acrylic' by AK Interactive - it's aimed mainly at military modellers for dioramas. I used a variety of tools to put it in place, with my biggest concern to get the edges to look natural, and keep it off the sides. I failed to keep it off the sides, and the edges took a fair amount of fettling, adding additional material to fill slight 'sink holes' and scrapping off material that had got in the wrong place.

pic17.jpeg.6ac03e03357b1eb8a11fc27362c297db.jpeg

pic18.jpeg.bd863f8c1f17b97be3c3d2de97de766f.jpeg

As a result, the inside of the wagon sides were rather scratched - the acrylic sand medium also seems to soften the paint quite effectively, which didn't help. I ended up repainting the inside of the wagon, being careful to keep the paint off the sand.

pic19.jpeg.8b03ec16f57293504a77752cd5251f10.jpeg

pic20.jpeg.db9f9db2b8102aaeda9d2df83706088d.jpeg

With some final weathering, including the repainted insides, the wagon was complete. The weathering was mainly done with water-soluble artists oil paints, plus some weathering powders.

pic21.jpg.ef7c65db92bccd1eea1b547d6b021457.jpg

pic22.jpg.e06489f86440cbe5c464b2942af18312.jpg

pic23.jpg.9cb5729af742a2e3dd8678a821641728.jpg

pic24.jpg.71a2b07e8cfb4d34424ccbd7d2520f72.jpg

Nick.

2. This is a 51 L whitemetal kit which I bought very cheaply from Pastimes in Glasgow as it was closing down. I am busy with a lot of non railway stuff at the moment but I do need to have something on the bench so I thought I would have a go at this as a simple relaxing build.

And so it proved to be. Sharp whitemetal castings with minimal flash, steel head buffers and etched brass frets for the W irons and brakegear. Even includes styrene for the floor and roof and wire for the horse shunting loops. I soldered it together with no issues but I suppose it could be glued.

A couple of posed pictures.

nsv11.JPG.d99e57c32a2a46dc444747cd8c932bc0.JPG

nsv12.JPG.bf79f571b43dfb8eddf13fbd5254066a.JPG

Perhaps the livery should be a shade redder? The lettering is from various sources and I just inked the knot on. Rough close up, but ok from a distance.

These vans were built 1911 so perhaps a tad late for Kelvinbank but I’ll stretch a point since it adds variety and is a nice memento of what was my local model shop.

3. Just received this lug in the mail from TMC.  If anyone remembers, I have a penchant for ugly locos. 

20240423_1923441.jpg.b10c24c239271d7621467e3b920d506e.jpg

I lucked out, though.   Built, running, painted not only in the right color for my collection, but numbered correctly as well.   About the only disappointment is the builder made absolutely zero provision for a rear coupling.   I have ideas.  

Main problem is that there is no substructure behind the rear tender axle.   Nothing to drill into, nothing really to glue to. 

My first thought was to add a block.  I've had bad luck with such arrangements before.   Even 5-minute epoxy doesn't quite grab well enough against a train.  

Second thought is an L-bracket, soldered at multiple points.   That then brings the issue of my lack of talent at soldering.   

Third thought is running a long bolt up through the footplate.   Probably the best cross between strength and simplicity.   Problem there is how to disguise the top of the bolt.   I thought of fabricating a toolbox to cover it.   I've seen no evidence from what few pics I can find that such a toolbox was ever carried by the class.

She runs OK on the test plank.  Won't have access to a layout until next month for a good run, though.

• Images

[[Template gallery/front/widgets/imageRow is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]