Summer announcements - 9.30am 1st May

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RichardT said:

So, I’ve just clicked on an announcement, about an announcement, about an announcement…

😵‍💫

RT

Yes, it would have been helpful if this had been announced in advance😉

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

To be fair, Bachmann are in this short clip simply informing when the announcements for the Summer will take place, we do already know about the 7mm scale Quarry Hunslets, wagons and buildings, but not specific models/liveries or as far as I am aware pricing, and that will follow on from the initial info given at Statfold Barn. The same is true of the recently announced OO Palvans and the N Gauge Farish anchor-mounted tanks where so far EPS only have been shown.

Personally I am not completely clear whether there will be any further models announced for any scale at forthcoming quarterly announcements going forward, or whether all models will have EPs shown earlier, and the quarterly "announcements" just add in further info - this was my understanding but doesn't mean I haven't got it wrong! If it should transpire (and as I say this may be clearer to others than to me currently) then I can see the intrigue of the announcements will be very much diluted and the "wow" factor for surprises like the N Gauge LMS Twins somewhat less impactful, so I am thinking there may be a change in the focus of them.

From what I have understood, this appears to have been a case of responding to feedback in making such changes, and doubtless it will be beneficial in some ways as announcing at EP stage provides an earlier "heads up" gives more time for retailers and also potential purchasers to know what is on the horizon and plan their purchases.

It may not suit some though and as with most things, in making such changes is a case of damned if they do, and damned if they don't! 🤔

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They seem to have also indicated that the models announced in the quarterly announcements won't quite as strictly arrive in the following quarter. We've seen this with the Class 31's and the Newton Chambers stock to name a couple in the past few months. I don't really have a problem with this as such. Perhaps there is a sweet spot with newly tooled wagons being 3-6 months, coaches 6-9 months and newly tooled locos anywhere from say 9-12 months. Gives people a fair bit of time to plan whilst not playing their hand too early.

5 hours ago, E100 said:

They seem to have also indicated that the models announced in the quarterly announcements won't quite as strictly arrive in the following quarter. We've seen this with the Class 31's and the Newton Chambers stock to name a couple in the past few months. I don't really have a problem with this as such. Perhaps there is a sweet spot with newly tooled wagons being 3-6 months, coaches 6-9 months and newly tooled locos anywhere from say 9-12 months. Gives people a fair bit of time to plan whilst not playing their hand too early.

They may have run into transit time issues because of what is happening with shipping via the Suez canal at the moment. Hornby already reported it had caused them some delays, so it stands to reason Bachmann would probably be hit by the same delays. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

They may have run into transit time issues because of what is happening with shipping via the Suez canal at the moment. Hornby already reported it had caused them some delays, so it stands to reason Bachmann would probably be hit by the same delays. 

Yes, they most certainly have and that may well play into a few of the delays we've seen but I'm confident I can recall somewhere an acknowledgement that it was a conscious decision to move away from the strict 3 month window as well.

2 hours ago, E100 said:

Yes, they most certainly have and that may well play into a few of the delays we've seen but I'm confident I can recall somewhere an acknowledgement that it was a conscious decision to move away from the strict 3 month window as well.

That much I do recall, it was said an earlier showing of the EP, later info on pricing/liveries at the Quarterly Announcements, delivery potentially beyond the 3 month window but not excessively so i.e. months rather than years as used to be the case. 

• Agree 1

I’m hoping for a couple of new liveries for OO9 stuff - and a vague hope that there will be some new toolings for the narrow gauge range. But we shall see

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

My main modelling interest is N, and realistically, after the announcement of the LMS Twins in Q1, alongside the Dance Hall brake van and the anchor mounted tank subsequently, much as I would like a new-tool steam announcement (the last being the 8F over seven years ago) I am not expecting anything else of significance. Maybe some news on the much delayed J39 or a further sound upgrade (the WD Austerity would seem ripe for this) but that really would be it.

As far a N goes, I think any further major announcements will be held off until the International N Gauge Show in September, but that is based on nothing more than a gut feeling which can of course be fallible.

Roy

Based on the pre-2020 releases due this quarter I expect additional:

• Graham Farish - Desiro EMUs.
  • Branchline - Class 25 locos.

Probably some additional Branchline Mark 1 carriages, such as the RMB as well.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Maybe some news on the much delayed J39

Given the lack of release date for the previously announced models on the Bachmann website, you won't see them in 2024.

1 minute ago, Paul.Uni said:

Given the lack of release date for the previously announced models on the Bachmann website, you won't see them in 2024.

I am more interested in whether I will see them at all! 😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roy L S said:

My main modelling interest is N, and realistically, after the announcement of the LMS Twins in Q1, alongside the Dance Hall brake van and the anchor mounted tank subsequently, much as I would like a new-tool steam announcement (the last being the 8F over seven years ago) I am not expecting anything else of significance. Maybe some news on the much delayed J39 or a further sound upgrade (the WD Austerity would seem ripe for this) but that really would be it.

As far a N goes, I think any further major announcements will be held off until the International N Gauge Show in September, but that is based on nothing more than a gut feeling which can of course be fallible.

Roy

I think - though I could be wrong - that the J39 was cancelled. In 00 that is....

• RMweb Gold

The OO proposal was for a new chassis for the existing J39 body tooling. This was cancelled.

The N proposal was a reissue of the existing J39 model in this scale. It has been delayed but not (yet?) cancelled.

• Like 1

My spidey senses are tingling and I've a real hunch that this quarter we will see:

1. An OO gauge Palvan
  2. An N gauge tanker
  3. A new scale for Bachmann linked to 7mm, maybe building on their 009 developments
  4. More buildings

I'll go out on a limb maybe some more N gauge 47s Tops era or earlier.

• Funny 3

21 hours ago, Adi said:

What are people expecting any new tool oo gauge steam models

A LSWR T3 should be on the cards from someone. It's just who announces it and when. I suspect Bachmann or EFE for Kernow. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Too much to ask for the n gauge Class 150/2 in FGW Purple and GWR Green? And OO 117 in BR Blue?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

My spidey senses are tingling and I've a real hunch that this quarter we will see:

1. An OO gauge Palvan
  2. An N gauge tanker
  3. A new scale for Bachmann linked to 7mm, maybe building on their 009 developments
  4. More buildings

I'll go out on a limb maybe some more N gauge 47s Tops era or earlier.

I recall being told by one of the Bachmann Team that there wouldn't be any more 47s for a while, I did say it was absolutely crazy not to produce BR two-tone green and BR pre and post TOPS when they do have a suitable bodyshell (as seen on the Collector's Club XP64 model which I have). I am at a loss personally to understand how these decisions are made, not least because there has just been a huge resupply of Mk1s in BR Maroon and Blue/Grey which would go with those locos perfectly 🤔..

• Agree 4

Think it's time for either more Quarry Hunslets as the original releases were super popular and would help push the sales of the new NG7 ones and a new tooling for a steam loco in 00 as there hasn't been one for a hot minute, maybe a regular release of the Cakey 812 or maybe something pre-grouping great western.