Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Truly fantastic mate mate. The only thing I will say is the scrub land in the middle of the platform would benefit from some dead grass tufts. Passing through BoT regularly I've never noticed it quite as green as that. something I need to do on PDW in the sidings as that's too green as well.

Apart from that it's now absolutely screaming BoT.

Cheers

Marcus

It has actually got a fair bit of dead stuff in there Marcus I perhaps added a bit too much green to begin with. The overall look is a bit greener maybe than was typical there but it looks fine as is I think on the layout, if I added tufts it would look a bit odd I think as it was actually a deader looking base with greener tufts in reality. I will be adding more shrubbery though. I may tone it down at a later date with the airbrush to tie the scene together once its all laid.

• Like 1

Happy new year to everyone who has followed this and my other projects. Continued support is always a welcome boost to moral that helps keep the mojo intact!

Heres to a great 2017 and a completed Burton on Trent!!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 8

Cheers Andy, I'm pretty happy with the grass. A few shrubs here and there and it should be the biz.

I was working on the walls for the overbridge/station car park the other day but I've run out of brickpaper and my printer has decided that it can't replicate the brick paper it printed out previously for some reason. Not sure why so a bit of a halt on that now until I resolve it.

Edited by RBE

The grid looks superb mate. You're getting quite good at these Sector liveries. HaHa

Passing through Burton yesterday I noted in the platform garden / scrubland the old style wooden barrels on a wooden plinth hiding in the undergrowth. I know they've been there a good while but how long I don't know. Would make a nice little cameo if they were her in your time period.

Cheers Marcus. The grid is looking well and will be the biz on HAAs to Drakelow!!

I have seen the barrels yes. I took some pics when I did my station visit a few months back. Alas they weren't there in the 1990s being an addition as part of the planting scheme for the National Forest 'upgrade'.

I don't know how the steam guys do it, I find it almost impossible to get good site pictures for modelling a place just 25 years ago!

Wow just realised that we are further in time forward from the class 60 being introduced as the end of steam was from the class 60 being introduced. Thats a crazy thought!

Edited by RBE

Cheers Marcus. The grid is looking well and will be the biz on HAAs to Drakelow!!

I have seen the barrels yes. I took some pics when I did my station visit a few months back. Alas they weren't there in the 1990s being an addition as part of the planting scheme for the National Forest 'upgrade'.

I don't know how the steam guys do it, I find it almost impossible to get good site pictures for modelling a place just 25 years ago!

Wow just realised that we are further in time forward from the class 60 being introduced as the end of steam was from the class 60 being introduced. Thats a crazy thought!

Re the pics from your period, you have to remember that there were Thousands of photographers out at the end of Steam and just a few Hundred per area during Sectorisation, so that's the reason you cant find lots of decent pics .

Conversely look at Video footage and that would have trebled I expect during Sectorisation with the advent of the Cam Corder in the late 80's.. 

EDIT =  To say I was on You Tube last night looking for footage from the 80's and could only get mainly 90's.

Edited by Andrew P

DON'T!!! You're making me feel really old now. HaHa.

Re the pics from your period, you have to remember that there were Thousands of photographers out at the end of Steam and just a few Hundred per area during Sectorisation, so that's the reason you cant find lots of decent pics .

Conversely look at Video footage and that would have trebled I expect during Sectorisation with the advent of the Cam Corder in the late 80's.. 

EDIT =  To say I was on You Tube last night looking for footage from the 80's and could only get mainly 90's.

Yes I've looked at a lot of videos from that period. Nothing shot at Burton on Trent though. Still useful for seeing services from the area however.

DON'T!!! You're making me feel really old now. HaHa.

I know mate tell me about it!!

Well the ball has started rolling again with some planned momentum over the next few months.

Firstly I've changed out the No2 end roof grilles on my blue 56 and replaced the No end bodyside grilles with correctly patterned squared mesh for a romanian machine. This one will be finished as 56010. The loco had some nicely worn paintwork in 1991 and I will replicate this.

attachicon.gif2016-11-05 18.24.59.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-11-05 18.24.42.jpg

Secondly I've been modelling the waiting room for the station. I've finished it in green and cream as per the station pre privatisation. Not the finest of brushwork but it is very small!! Those frames are less than half a mm thick!!

attachicon.gif2016-11-05 18.19.35.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-11-05 18.19.17.jpg

I spent many Friday evenings waiting in Mr Ali's office for my dad to come home from his working week in London. 

I'll be stealing ideas from this for my OO station which will be inspired by Burton, though somewhat changed.

Very good build and I'm watching how it goes.  Definitely feels like home (real home, not Guernsey where I have to live for now).

Thanks for the kind comments. Its always a great compliment when it comes from the locals!

Layout news for this year is that the layout in its finished state will be at the lichfield show in September. The planned show in March at Mansfield is a little too close to get it done so I will be running a workshop/demo there instead. A real shame but I'd sooner get the layout right before unleashing it!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2

Just thought that I'd let those interested know that the Pre-order info for the 4mm scale PGA is now up on the website. Just click on my Cavalex link below for details.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad to inspire. Theres no greater compliment.

Anyway today I did a bit more on my sector 56. Shouldn't be long before this beast is done!

attachicon.gif2017-01-07 21.09.54.jpg

They look real beasts sir. The correct cantrail grills make all the difference. 

Cheers, Anthony 

Cheer Anthony, yes the newer style that Dapol decided to adopt really grated me the instant that they were announced.

Anyway, I have decided to revise my fiddle yard plans. Rather than my planned traverser with a fiddle yard operator standing at the back while I drove from the front/side I have now decided that I will move the fiddle yard back to circle the operators which will mean that a standard fiddle yard can be employed with turnout fans each end thus operation can be done inside a central well!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've started a bit of brave weathering on 56010, she really was a battered beast in the 90s! 

This is the first layer of fade and grime. Still needs tidying here and there before the spray and powder coats, I'm not happy with the way the paint has taken on the replacement No 2 end cantrail grilles so will give them some more attention.

The chassis hasn't been touched yet.

post-6894-0-72439300-1485467882_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-69751200-1485467887_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Well I've started a bit of brave weathering on 56010, she really was a battered beast in the 90s! 

This is the first layer of fade and grime. Still needs tidying here and there before the spray and powder coats, I'm not happy with the way the paint has taken on the replacement No 2 end cantrail grilles so will give them some more attention.

The chassis hasn't been touched yet.

attachicon.gif2017-01-26 21.50.27.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-01-26 21.51.26.jpg

That looks like an excellent start Cav, How many Locos have you in the Fleet now?

Cheers Andy,

The fleet so far is:

1 No Class 31/4 in rail blue (I also have a spare class 31 body that I am going to do as a dummy loco)

4 No Class 37/5 (1 No Buxton loco in Red Stripe Railfreight, 1 No Buxton loco in Construction Livery, 2 No Metals livery flush front locos)

1 No Pair of Class 43 HST power cars in IC exec

1 No Class 45 in BR Blue

4 No Class 47 (2 No in Railfreight Grey, 1 No in IC Mainline and 1 No in Large Logo Blue)

2 No Class 56 (1 No in BR Blue, 1 No in Triple Grey Coal)

1 No Class 58 in Railfreight Grey

1 No Class 60 in Petroleum Grey

1 No Class 156 Unit

So 16. Not doing bad really!

Edit:

Cheers Jeremy!

Thought it would be something interesting!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1