Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Yes - how good is that brickwork weathering -  trying all sorts up here Metcalfe is the latest experiment.

Done Burton yearly via the WCML for the DEMU and so instantly recognizable Cav -  Pepsi and Crisps for my lad in the shop when he tagged along :)

What made you do Burton? Was travelling to the the DEMU an influence?

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

Ok pics of the brickwork I started last night. Still needs work but heading the right direction for the old dirty urban brickwork seen on the real thing. The plan is to add some patchy mortar lines and then tie it all together with some powders and foliage.

attachicon.gif2017-04-29 08.09.53.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-04-29 08.10.10.jpg

It'll then be the car park surface and pavements.

As others have said, super looking brickwork.

Any tips on the painting and weathering techniques you used?

G.

Yes - how good is that brickwork weathering - trying all sorts up here Metcalfe is the latest experiment.

Done Burton yearly via the WCML for the DEMU and so instantly recognizable Cav - Pepsi and Crisps for my lad in the shop when he tagged along :)

What made you do Burton? Was travelling to the the DEMU an influence?

Ian

Cheers Ian, no real reason for Burton other that it has a nice variety of trains and the location lends itself to modelling with a bridge either end. Of course BoT is the home of DEMU so helps people to recognise the station.

As others have said, super looking brickwork.

Any tips on the painting and weathering techniques you used?

G.

Cheers Graham. The walls are SE finecast english bond brick plasticard over 5mm thick foamcard. The whole wall was first coated with plasticote chocolate suede spray and then the colours built up with humbrol enamels of various browns and greys mixed together with black and used as coats and washes whilst looking a picture of the actual wall. Since those pictures I have now used games workshop acrylics over the enamels. Firstly a light beige colour one mixed for airbrush application but brushed over the wall and then wiped of with a very lightly damp kitchen roll. The whole thing then drybrushed over with either a dark brown or brick red colour and darker accents added with a nuln oil wash and wipe. Finally individual brick and brick rows have been picked out with artists pastel pencil in a red brick colour.

I will post some further pictures in a little while.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Ok a few more pics from todays work. Really liking how this is going. The foam card has warped a little with the addition of glues and paints for the road surface but I will have the rear walls of the bridge fixed to the backscene which sould latch the road in place on the layout and hold the bridge flat whilst its on the layout so not so worried at this point.

post-6894-0-00578400-1493646180_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-93912800-1493646194_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-12553600-1493646207_thumb.jpg

Still need to add street lights, railings, bus stop and cars/people.

• Like 12

Cheers Simon. Yes they took a while referring to google maps every few mins but I just sat and watched tv whilst doing it so time flew by. Keeping the pencils sharp was the biggest pain!

Thanks bud. The zebra crossing lights are scratchbuilt from brass tubes with orange bobble pin heads on the top.

Edited by RBE

Pics of the station bridge in place. I have since added the rear wall to the backscene which now straightens out the curve in the road perfectly across the back and I've added the liftshaft to the station. I'll update with some more pictures of those in due course. Starting to look very Burtonesque I think now!

post-6894-0-74427500-1493703934_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-01103100-1493703950_thumb.jpg

Once the arches are in place under the bridge we will be very much getting there!

• Like 16

Very nice Cav,

really like the weeds in the sidings and the buildings look great I don't know how you get them looking so good I am wearing glasses for 4mm stuff these days. lol

Cheers Peter.

Pics of the station bridge in place. I have since added the rear wall to the backscene which now straightens out the curve in the road perfectly across the back and I've added the liftshaft to the station. I'll update with some more pictures of those in due course. Starting to look very Burtonesque I think now!

attachicon.gif2017-05-02 06.42.02.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-05-02 06.42.24.jpg

Once the arches are in place under the bridge we will be very much getting there!

A lovely realistic spacious look and feel. Something that it seems only N gauge is capable of excelling in.

It appears very much well detailed rather than just simply a broad brush impressionist​ style approach. With such high fidelity values it makes for a more interesting and satisfying layout to view.

G.

I agree Grahame. The traditional approach with N is that you don't add detail because its 'just an impression of the railway in the landscape'. I have, since dropping down from 4mm decided that thats rubbish and as much detail can be added in 2mm as 4mm or larger. Of course the size prohibits some of the details but you would be surprised what you can see in 2mm. The standard of stock etc has come on leaps and bounds over the past few years and we as N gauge modellers should do them justice with carefully thought out and constructed layouts that can give that level of fidelity. The standard in N layouts that have sprouted up on here since I began this project a couple of years ago and certainly since I began Millers Dale in 2013 has improved drastically and certainly for the better. It's about time that N could be looked at as a proper modellers scale rather than a novelty small impressionist one.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Cheers Bud.

The road surface is 120 grit sandpaper glued down and painted. The road markings are done with a pair of sharp pencil crayons in white and yellow.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely stunning Cav! WOW

Just spotted the TC dis boxes in the 6'. A very nice added detail. This is defiantly one of my faves at the moment :sungum:    

Cheers, Anthony

Yes I'm trying to add all of the small details that you find around the station. Adds interest I think.

Glad that you are enjoying the progress!

I agree Grahame. The traditional approach with N is that you don't add detail because its 'just an impression of the railway in the landscape'. I have, since dropping down from 4mm decided that thats rubbish and as much detail can be added in 2mm as 4mm or larger. Of course the size prohibits some of the details but you would be surprised what you can see in 2mm. The standard of stock etc has come on leaps and bounds over the past few years and we as N gauge modellers should do them justice with carefully thought out and constructed layouts that can give that level of fidelity. The standard in N layouts that have sprouted up on here since I began this project a couple of years ago and certainly since I began Millers Dale in 2013 has improved drastically and certainly for the better. It's about time that N could be looked at as a proper modellers scale rather than a novelty small impressionist one.

You're certainly making a great case for it, to the point I'm tempted to drop down to N for what I'm currently planning. Space saving helps, mind!