Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Just stumbled across this thread (N gauge and modern image aren't usually my thing) but the subject intrigued me as I spend a lot of my time on Burton Station catching trains to and from work, or driving trains through Burton at work. Superb Modelling and you really have captured the prototype very nicely, great stuff!

One advantage of Burton in your chosen timeframe is the sheer variety of services that passed through, local and express passenger, coal, steel, the Kingsbury tanks, Freightliner boxes and even the TPO could all be seen daily.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Thanks Andrew.

The benefit is also a double edge sword as I need to purchase a lot more stock to run it properly!! Still it allows me to do lots of rolling stock projects and be able to run them prototypically!

• Like 2

Hi Cav,

Thanks for taking the time to do a few stock pics. If you didn't know you would be hard to tell it's 2mm. Super work you can't beat a ploughed up Duff. I notice the stock list doesn't have any class 20s and another Peak would be nice. Though to be honest you could keep building stock for this layout for years.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

If you didn't know you would be hard to tell it's 2mm.

If it was one of the bigger scales, it would just be track work compressed to fit practical baseboard sizes with none of the surrounding scenery, and would not look as good.  :sungum:

Too true Peter.

I don't have any 20s yet but will get some at some point. They are very expensive though for some reason.

I did wonder if there was a reason. Plus you have to buy two and I bet they don't do dummies.

Cheers Peter.

If it was one of the bigger scales, it would just be track work compressed to fit practical baseboard sizes with none of the surrounding scenery, and would not look as good.  :sungum:

Totally agree Ian,

The great thing about 2mm is the fact that you can have more scenery and run full length trains.

Cheers Peter.

I did wonder if there was a reason. Plus you have to buy two and I bet they don't do dummies.

Cheers Peter.

Yes that is exactly the issue. You need 2 of them and no they don't do dummies.

I understand why they don't because they can sell a full price motored one so why bother with a cheaper alternative? What we need is someone like Dapol doing a 20 and offering a dummy version to kick start bachmanns mentality!

Any consolation as for lack the of stock at present Cav - on the real thing sometimes  not a lot really happened :D

Maybe wont go down well with the viewing exhibition public though......

Some on here surely can remember this from hours and hours dozing on the Brute Trolleys on platform ends in the 70's waiting and waiting.

All before the advent of Realtime Trains of course. 

Ian

Looking good.

Edited by Crisis Rail

Actually Ian, I always found the waiting part of the excitement when out trainspotting in my youth. A train every minute would get old pretty quick.

I wish that that mentality was present at shows as I would like to run layouts in general a little more pedestrian to replicate that sense of real life suspense. Would give time for people to look around the scenics too but hey we live in a world where everything must be now!

Actually Ian, I always found the waiting part of the excitement when out trainspotting in my youth. A train every minute would get old pretty quick.

I wish that that mentality was present at shows as I would like to run layouts in general a little more pedestrian to replicate that sense of real life suspense. Would give time for people to look around the scenics too but hey we live in a world where everything must be now!

That's all gone now with Real Time trains, but then there isn't the variety there was back before the 90s and without a WTT you could find yourself sat somewhere a very long time waiting for something that might not even run.

It's claimed that dummy versions wouldn't be any cheaper as it's only the motor that would be not required and they are very cheap. However, there is also the gear train and pick-ups not required but no doubt different wheel-sets and possibly bogies to hold them would be necessary and full assembly would would be different and still required.

One of the new (not yet available) class 20s will be the competition prize in the new N Gauge Journal so watch out for that and have a bash at winning it.

G

As they say - it's grim up north.

Waiting on Todmordon Station at 6am in February bagging those elusive 40's and 25's was "character building" to say the least for us 14yr olds :D (there was only so much machine "Dairy Crunch" you could take)

And the supply of ready made materials for building shelters from the elements on the WCML embankments eventually became exhausted and hard to source.....

Sadly missed.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

It's claimed that dummy versions wouldn't be any cheaper as it's only the motor that would be not required and they are very cheap. However, there is also the gear train and pick-ups not required but no doubt different wheel-sets and possibly bogies to hold them would be necessary and full assembly would would be different and still required.

One of the new (not yet available) class 20s will be the competition prize in the new N Gauge Journal so watch out for that and have a bash at winning it.

G

But if they set out from day 1 to make the dummy like an item of hauled stock instead of the powered one without a motor in then it would be much cheaper. The same body but with a different chassis more akin to a coach.

I may have a go at winning one!

As they say - it's grim up north.

Waiting on Todmordon Station at 6am in February bagging those elusive 40's and 25's was "character building" to say the least for us 14yr olds :D (there was only so much machine "Dairy Crunch" you could take)

And the supply of ready made materials for building shelters from the elements on the WCML embankments eventually became exhausted and hard to source.....

Sadly missed.

Ian

Indeed. Alas the railway world isn't what it used to be!

My last memories of Dairy Crunch was hurling over a stonewall at Woodhead in the summer of 76 having eaten one too many at Doncaster earlier in the day and succumbing to the heat stroke.  

Not one has passed my lips since and up till then they were standard trainspotting consumption.

• Like 1

My last memories of Dairy Crunch was hurling over a stonewall at Woodhead in the summer of 76 having eaten one too many at Doncaster earlier in the day and succumbing to the heat stroke.  

Not one has passed my lips since and up till then they were standard trainspotting consumption.

'76 was a bit warm even up here.

We managed to "offload" from the machine at Edinburgh Waverley well into double figures if you had the right technique.

Apologies Cav - back on track.

Ian

No 2mm finescale uses a change in gauge and even tighter flangeways which require all stock to have a change of wheelsets. This way you get the same look (flangeways aren't quite as fine but still finer than standard N) but I am able to run stock on standard (modern RP25 wheels) straight out of the box which saves money on wheelsets and allows visiting stock to run.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...