Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

The exclamation mark or exclamation point is a punctuation mark usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or high volume (shouting),

Or, looking at the Concise Oxford, "exclamation: a strong sudden cry; exclamation mark: indicating an exclamation."  Or Fowler's Modern English Usage notes that "A note of exclamation is used after words or sentences which express emotion", going on to say that its excessive use is largely one of style and the mark of (sorry JBM) an "unpractised author" (Fowler is quite harsh over things he doesn't like, but he was writing 100 years ago, so we indulge him).

In any case, the humble exclamation mark is currently quite in vogue, as any scan of social media or advertising/press releases will reveal. I don't like it, but I just note it as a fact. It's not worth publicily chastising someone up for it, and, I humbly submit, poor form for the site owner to do so.

• Like 1

To follow the popularity of the Drummond 0-6-0 in particular, and pre-grouping designs in general, the manufacturers may well be looking to see what's next from the 19th century designs of Wm Adams. Adams designs of were  - IMHO - all stylish and elegant, and though most were gone pre war, there were some later survivors. The market has welcomed proposals for models of the O2 and 415 classes, and there should be similar scope for the Jubilee passenger class, the 395 six-coupled goods, and the T1 tank loco.

PB

• Like 1

To follow the popularity of the Drummond 0-6-0 in particular, and pre-grouping designs in general, the manufacturers may well be looking to see what's next from the 19th century designs of Wm Adams. Adams designs of were  - IMHO - all stylish and elegant, and though most were gone pre war, there were some later survivors. The market has welcomed proposals for models of the O2 and 415 classes, and there should be similar scope for the Jubilee passenger class, the 395 six-coupled goods, and the T1 tank loco.

PB

Perhaps my favourite, the 'Tilbury Tanks', might get a look in.  There's an original (well mostly original) to be scanned / photographed / measured at Bressingham.  The livery is superb, and they did last through LMS and into BR, when they ranged a bit further than the old LTSR routes.

• Like 1

Perhaps my favourite, the 'Tilbury Tanks', might get a look in.  There's an original (well mostly original) to be scanned / photographed / measured at Bressingham.  The livery is superb, and they did last through LMS and into BR, when they ranged a bit further than the old LTSR routes.

Just agreeing with emphasis!

• RMweb Gold

PB

And, of course, Mr Adams worked for the GER before he went to the LSWR.......... 

John (playing Devil's Advocate)  :devil:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice. There is a lot of coal in that bunker though. I wonder if this is to allow for DCC?

The specs say the coal load is removable, so it sounds unlikely.

• RMweb Gold

Noticed the trailing wheels are smaller in diametre on the LSWR version, than on both BR liveried examples. Is this correct?

Regards,

Matt

It's to do with the particular loco rather than the period. Some had small ones, some large.

The LSWR liveried version is the preserved loco which, of the three long-lived examples, was the only one to have them.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 1 month later...

The side elevation photograph generally looks well enough blown up to about gauge 1 scale on my screen. (They acknowledge that the 'paint' is electronically applied to an unpainted item.) A little damage in evidence on the leading cab door handrail; which actually looks quite realistic for an in-service 'ding', for those who like their models in non-showroom condition.

How do they know it is coming out on 28th January? They ought to wait until the models are put on a boat and then they can give a delivery date. Also their advice about rolling stock of suitable rolling stock of the period is not helpful. I am planning to buy the LSWR version but I have not pre-ordered one as I don't think there will be a supply problem with the Oxfordrail version coming out as well. If Oxford sell out of a model they normally produce another batch. I will also be able to read the reviews before ordering one. I expect both the Hornby and Oxfordrail models will be high quality models but there may be problems with haulage capacity and derailments. Provided that they both get good reviews I will buy one of each.

You probably will not need to buy the Hornby Adams Radial as soon as it comes out. With the Oxfordrail model coming out as well there will be more Adams Radial Tanks on the market than there is a demand for them and prices are likely to fall as the year progresses. This is what has happened with the Bachmann E4s and the price has now gone down to almost the level before the Hattons pre-ordering saga.

Based on Hornby's track record I would be surprised if their Adams Radial comes out on 28th January 2016..

• RMweb Gold

You probably will not need to buy the Hornby Adams Radial as soon as it comes out. With the Oxfordrail model coming out as well there will be more Adams Radial Tanks on the market than there is a demand for them and prices are likely to fall as the year progresses. This is what has happened with the Bachmann E4s and the price has now gone down to almost the level before the Hattons pre-ordering saga.

Based on Hornby's track record I would be surprised if their Adams Radial comes out on 28th January 2016..

But, alas, the relevant clause of Murphy's Law states that the ones that hang around long enough to be discounted will not be the ones I want. 

I did note E4s being knocked out for under 70 quid about a fortnight ago. I don't know how many were available but they disappeared in a couple of days at that price.

Unfortunately, that was academic for me 'cos I didn't want any of them..........

As for projected release dates, I never believe those until the third time they get amended and they haven't yet given a date for the version I want anyway.

John

• Like 1