The best Working scale Screw link in 00?

I think that's fair CK (an oversize hook to a better shape than Smiths would be the ideal solution for me I think). I do find that Smiths screw links can and do fall apart (particularly when marshalled towards the front of heavy trains. When this happens at exhibitions - on a big EM tailchaser in my case - leaving half a train behind is far worse than even the most cack-handed uncoupling operation or the auto-coupling shuffle (been there, done all of those...*).

For three-links proper I make my own links - Tinned copper wire of c. 0.5mm diameter wrapped round a brass former. The links are overscale by about 10% or so. For those of you familiar with Smiths that's noticeably bigger and of course, cheaper.

If it helps, the trick with Masokits flexibility, I've found, is to drill the holes out to 0.8 mm - giving lots of clearance on a 0.53mm pin and to blacken rather than paint. Blackening the centres durng construction rather than trying to be clever with a soldering iron also helps, but I put 'em together in batches!

Adam

* I've seen several (small) P4 and one or two S7 layouts using Jacksons very successfully, I think they've a lot to recommend them but have found them a bit of a pig when I've used them in O finescale - too much slop in the track/wheel standards I think.

A well put post by you CK! yeah sometimes Ive grown wiery with some Screw links, and one even cost me a Seacow! <_< , but still determind to bin all my tension locks so that I can do the bufferbeam detailing I always love to do to my stock and locos. I think to conclude I may give the Masokits ones a go

NL

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with it either way, Nick. Adam makes some good points too, I guess if a better shaped hook but large enough was available, I'd switch to it, but I haven't got time these days to start filing Smiths hooks to shape, I'd rather direct what pedantry I have left in me, in a different direction! ;)

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...

The newer versions of the Smiths couplings are much better. They've dispensed with the trackpin "tommy bar" which many thought was the weakest part of the coupling.

This is the kit version. Also available ready made.

https://www.petersspares.com/smiths-lp8a-couplings-eight-etched-brass-screw-link-couplings-kit-new-design.ir

Jason

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

Does anyone have any current suggestions on this topic please, regarding 4 mm scale screw couplings that can be used as couplings, not just cosmetic?

Thanks.

The Accurascale version with the 2 eyelet bars, turned upside down and fitted to a decent length drawhook is a good option.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Does anyone have any current suggestions on this topic please, regarding 4 mm scale screw couplings that can be used as couplings, not just cosmetic?

Thanks.

If you want good appearance, robust and good value Masokits are possibly best value.

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/fifteen-minute-heroes/

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think much of the Smiths version, the Accurascale one seems to be cosmetic and the Masokits one looks like hard work. 

while designed as cosmetic they are metal and plastic and quite serviceable. Hope that helps :)

• Thanks 1