Dapol 08

Kickstart

What is the view on the Dapol sound scheme in the class 08???

I have just received a black one with factory fitted sound and not terribly impressed when compared to the one I self-installed using one of Paul Chetter's sound schemes. Despite following the instructions, I just wondered if I am doing something wrong, as it doesn't appear to notch up when accelerating and seems to remain on 'tick over' at all speeds.

Thank you,

Vaughan

What is the view on the Dapol sound scheme in the class 08???

I have just received a black one with factory fitted sound and not terribly impressed when compared to the one I self-installed using one of Paul Chetter's sound schemes. Despite following the instructions, I just wondered if I am doing something wrong, as it doesn't appear to notch up when accelerating and seems to remain on 'tick over' at all speeds.

Thank you,

Vaughan

Thanks for your comments.... I opted for Paul's Protodrive also and it's huge cost saving over factory fitted. Just did not think having to pay an additional £200 for factory fitted sound was good sense considering the loco was less than this @ £169 in first place. Pauls version is outstanding and also provides more sounds than Dapol version.

I think there is a YouTube video of the factory fitted sound version and I noticed sound seemed to just loop when driving whereas Paul's sound is constantly changes depending on drive situation.. really clever.

I wonder if Paul could answer you question as I have no idea if the differences you have experienced are typical of the Dapol version compared to his.

Thanks!

Edited by Greenmodelmonkey

Interestingly having taken the lid off, Dapol have actually glued an oblong speaker onto bonnet top, rather than use a round one designed for the moulded housing. This speaker projects under the exhaust area, so the although the instructions state you should lift the bonnet top from the radiator end in order to remove it, you actually need to release the cab end first in order allow the bonnet top to be pulled back towards the cab first.

Having played with the CVs this evening the sound has improved a little, but I think the Zimo decoder will be replaced / re-blown with one of Paul's sound schemes.

gallery_8865_4100_463348.jpg

Edited by vaughan45

Interestingly having taken the lid off, Dapol have actually glued an oblong speaker onto bonnet top, rather than use a round one designed for the moulded housing. This speaker projects under the exhaust area, so the although the instructions state you should lift the bonnet top from the radiator end in order to remove it, you actually need to release the cab end first in order allow the bonnet top to be pulled back towards the cab first.

Having played with the CVs this evening the sound has improved a little, but I think the Zimo decoder will be replaced / re-blown with one of Paul's sound schemes.

Shame sound fitted version is not as good as expected and speaker arrangement is not the best solution. Interesting that the speaker is bonded to the removable hood and not placed behind the front grill which makes a big difference as it makes sounds clearer (I had placed my oblong speaker on the floor in front of the motor but moved it to upright position facing outwards towards the grill much better in this position and less muffled ). Shame if speaker has been bonded to bonnet roof as it will not be possible to move to a more optimum position I suppose without a little surgery..

Shame sound fitted version is not as good as expected and speaker arrangement is not the best solution. Interesting that the speaker is bonded to the removable hood and not placed behind the front grill which makes a big difference as it makes sounds clearer (I had placed my oblong speaker on the floor in front of the motor but moved it to upright position facing outwards towards the grill much better in this position and less muffled ). Shame if speaker has been bonded to bonnet roof as it will not be possible to move to a more optimum position I suppose without a little surgery..

Correction - having looked again the speaker is at the cab end of the bonnet top, but the loco was supplied with the bonnet top refitted the wrong way round. Will probably cut my losses and remove all of the speaker except the back plate and then install a Zimo one behind the radiator grill as I did on my self-install. Have two more on order, so will probably switch these from sound to non-sound versions and do the installs myself.

• Like 1

Correction - having looked again the speaker is at the cab end of the bonnet top, but the loco was supplied with the bonnet top refitted the wrong way round. Will probably cut my losses and remove all of the speaker except the back plate and then install a Zimo one behind the radiator grill as I did on my self-install. Have two more on order, so will probably switch these from sound to non-sound versions and do the installs myself.

Sound decision to fit your own sound. You will also save a significant amount of cash....thinking about it you will get one loco for free if you DIY.

All the best!

• Like 1

I've read with great interest the discussion (and dismay) on the factory fitted sound.  I ordered the plain green, late crest version and still waiting.  I suppose I'd better hear for myself but I'm wondering where I can get my decoder reblown with Paul's sounds.

John

I've read with great interest the discussion (and dismay) on the factory fitted sound. I ordered the plain green, late crest version and still waiting. I suppose I'd better hear for myself but I'm wondering where I can get my decoder reblown with Paul's sounds.

John

Paul is the only person that can help and he is a regular contributor on this thread. If you look back at earlier posts then suggest to private message him to discuss his Protodrive version using a Zimo decoder. Paul also has a Dapol 08 running withhis Protodrive decoder on YouTube ..

PS the only connection I have with Paul is that I am a very happy customer.

I removed the numbers with gentle use of a sharp scalpel and then a quick rub down with cream cleaner,

Rgds Andrew 

Thanks Andrew. One of the guys at my club had a guess at that but was not sure as he couldn't work out how the numbers had been applied. We were worried about using any type of solvent based fluids in case they damaged the paintwork.

Steve

Thanks Andrew. One of the guys at my club had a guess at that but was not sure as he couldn't work out how the numbers had been applied. We were worried about using any type of solvent based fluids in case they damaged the paintwork.

Steve

Erm yes, how did I work out this? Well I did try a modellers paint remover I have used before on one side and it has definitely left a "shadow" where the old numbers were. However as the number I have selected is not that far removed from the Dapol applied one I am sure a certain amount of weathering should hide a multitude of sins! It is one advantage of using Dinghams that the loco's only face one way so the dodgy side can be hidden (just so only I can see it!)

Rgds Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Is that bonnet top black or green, Gerry?

Green bonnet , black  cab roof and radiator top.

I had originally pre-ordered a standard green version, but once this was announced I switched.  Not so much for the bonnet top though, I have a preference for the early BR crest.

Regards, Gerry.

Just noticed the actual DCC Supplies special edition green wasp stripes has a black radiator whereas the Dapol Digest colour picture shows a yellow radiator.... Why has it changed? Not happy as I was expecting a yellow one as originally shown on Dapol Digest! See link below....

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/o-gauge-models/locomotives/class-08/312-class-08-special-edition-for-dcc-supplies