Dapol 08

Kickstart

Hi I keep reading about the dcc sound people are fitting to there 08's can someone tell me if anyone sells all the bits togeather i.e. Decoder,speaker so all I have to do is plug it in and away I go so to speak lol.

Thank you col

Hi,

I can supply either of my Class 08 ProtoDrive sound projects with everything soldered together for you; just need to plug it in and it will all work as designed. PM me if you are interested.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 3

Are there different "basic" bodies on the models, as the ladders on mine, (black unnumbered), seem very firmly anchored indeed, so is it down to the factory not adding glue on some output and it just needs re-doing to cure?

The only addition added so far is the set of lifting rings on the roof. Made in nickel wire silver soldered together in rings for durability, although soft solder would work. They are a bit exposed to knocks.

Stephen

• Like 1

Digitrains recommended the following to me:  Zimo MX644D, sound project ZS08Ad, speaker LS 40x20x09. 

Paul, I decided to go with the sound above because I'm not all that interested in voices.

I gave the ladders a slight poke and they seem solid.

John

Good news you ladders are ok after a poke, still suggest taking care as they may get loose overtime and are a devil to put back together (great ladder detail though, very fine)

Are there different "basic" bodies on the models, as the ladders on mine, (black unnumbered), seem very firmly anchored indeed, so is it down to the factory not adding glue on some output and it just needs re-doing to cure?

The only addition added so far is the set of lifting rings on the roof. Made in nickel wire silver soldered together in rings for durability, although soft solder would work. They are a bit exposed to knocks.

Stephen

My ladders were ok when I first got the loco but it started with one rung which fell out (why this happened i don't know) soon followed by the others. I'm not the only person to have rungs fall out as someone else on this forum had a similar experience. So hence caution when handling. Edited by Greenmodelmonkey

My ladders were ok when I first got the loco but it started with one rung which fell out (why this happened i don't know) soon followed by the others. I'm not the only person to have rungs fall out as someone else on this forum had a similar experience. So hence caution when handling.

Yes, the black and green body shells are different in terms of the layout of the running plate boxes as per the prototype, in terms of the assembly process... It is possible that the different batches/colours were assembled on different lines but it's almost impossible to tell unless you visited the factory during the assembly and that 'could' account for the amount of adhesive used. But it's more likely to be the luck of the draw on which actual individual model has sturdy or fragile ladders/ handrails/ buffers / lamp irons etc. etc.

Unfortunately my two (a black and a green 'union) are getting a lot of handling as I show them round and am making ongoing modifications.. So the attrition rate on mine is probably higher that average...

However, I still think for the price it is a good model..

Of slightly more concern is the back to back on each axle is different when checked against the GOG template, one of the loco's won't

Stay on my rolling road because of this...

So at some point the axles are going to have to come out....

I think I'll be asking Isambard very nicely for his help on that one...

ATVB

Lodekka

Guest Isambarduk

"I think I'll be asking Isambard very nicely for his help on that one..."

Fair enough.  I haven't looked very closely at my 08 yet but others have asked me about taking the slop out of the rods and thinning down the brass spacers so perhaps I'm going to have to bring it nearer to the front of the queue - the problem is that I keep helping people with 'could you justs' [i have a rather too big one on the bench at present :-(  ] and these take up time, much as I like to help people out.

David

Looking for some help

My Dapol 08 (sound fitted) has been great apart from some broken details on arrival and the running has been superb,but I started to weather it today and airbrushed on some dirt, not much,just a little

When I put it back on the track I switched the lights on and started it up,but when I went to move It, it cut out. I thought I had got paint onto a contact point,but the wheels are clean (I did stay away from them ) 

I have taken the top off and checked the wiring and all wires are connected and look ok,but still the same fault every sound works and the lights work,but when you give it power it cuts all the power out and wont reset until the power is switched off and back on again. I am on NCE DCC with factory fit chip

thanks

• RMweb Premium

Looking for some help

My Dapol 08 (sound fitted) has been great apart from some broken details on arrival and the running has been superb,but I started to weather it today and airbrushed on some dirt, not much,just a little

When I put it back on the track I switched the lights on and started it up,but when I went to move It, it cut out. I thought I had got paint onto a contact point,but the wheels are clean (I did stay away from them ) 

I have taken the top off and checked the wiring and all wires are connected and look ok,but still the same fault every sound works and the lights work,but when you give it power it cuts all the power out and wont reset until the power is switched off and back on again. I am on NCE DCC with factory fit chip

thanks

I suggest you try it back on DC without the chip before you suspect anything else, it'll show up if it's pick-ups or further along the power flow.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

What is the expert opinion of the Dapol factory fitted sound.

I am not a British modeller and not a 'O' Gauger but still thinking of buying a sound fitted 08 as a novelty.

Would not fit my own sound but interested in a 'off the shelf' one.

Can't comment on the factory sound, but I'd say it's so simple to fit the sound chip yourself. Have a look at my thread from early December - took me all of 15 minutes and it's dead simple.

Rich

• Like 1

Guest Q663368

Here's what else I've been up to.

Lights how they could have been from the start. Step by Step guide in Hornby Magazine Issue 116.

https://youtu.be/oXZlyRkRK30

Kind regards,

Paul

Had a quick read last night and this looks like an interesting project to do so I will do one to start wth. I do not recall anything on remapping the ProtoDrive though to control the lighting features.

Kind regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi

What is the expert opinion of the Dapol factory fitted sound.

I am not a British modeller and not a 'O' Gauger but still thinking of buying a sound fitted 08 as a novelty.

Would not fit my own sound but interested in a 'off the shelf' one.

I had pre ordered the factory sound version but, after reading some of the comments in earlier posts about that, I cancelled and got a non sound version.  I have a sound decoder with a Paul Chetter project and speaker from Digitrains.  

John  

Guest Q663368

I had pre ordered the factory sound version but, after reading some of the comments in earlier posts about that, I cancelled and got a non sound version.  I have a sound decoder with a Paul Chetter project and speaker from Digitrains.  

John

Now you are cooking with gas. I did one with ActiveDrive ( Digitrains) and one with Protodrive. Both by Paul and excellent, but the Protodrive is my preference.

Alan (in Ontario)

I've recently received my (green, no stripes) d3043 and fired it with Paul's sound via Digitrains..... The whole package is superb (especially with added capacitors.....)

However, I'm trying to find out definitively whether it had windscreen wipers. I suspect it did, as I've seen photos of 3045 in blue with wipers.....

Edit - I see it has the 'bulge' to the cab sides - which can be nothing else than a motor enclosure - therefore it must have done.

I shall cut some...

Strunning model!

(I also got an un-numbered green with stripes for a rainy day, but that can sit tucked away...)

Edited by Giles

Guest Q663368

Due to the delicate nature of the ladders on these locos I managed to partly detach one end of one rung when putting the loco back in the box. Fortunately, it is a white ladder version so I have reinforced all of the rung connections using Canopy glue applied with a pin.

Time will tell if this helps.

Edited by Q663368
  • Like 1