The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Premium

A couple of weeks ago I spent an idle half-hour on the National Library of Scotland old OS maps site, tracking the Rosedale branches on the c. 1900 - 1925 25" maps. I'd noticed that outhouses were marked behind the terrace and thought to myself you hadn't done them yet - though I'd thought perhaps your scenic area didn't go far back enough, with the terrace being the break. Not so!

As you've modelled them so far, the road surfaces seem rather neat and uniform - from my personal experience of that part of the world I'd have expected things to be rather muddier!

Made a start on the buildings behind the terrace, there's even less info on these, only the outlines on the map to go by so there's a lot of guessing.

They should be about 6" further back but they have been brought closer so the baseboards stay a sensible size.

attachicon.gifIMGP0396-001.JPG

Problem is, they're going to be mostly hidden.

attachicon.gifIMGP0397-001.JPG

And a little detail for Stubby...

attachicon.gifIMGP0401-001.JPG

a 4mm netty! Will it contain a 4mm............

• RMweb Gold

A couple of weeks ago I spent an idle half-hour on the National Library of Scotland old OS maps site, tracking the Rosedale branches on the c. 1900 - 1925 25" maps. I'd noticed that outhouses were marked behind the terrace and thought to myself you hadn't done them yet - though I'd thought perhaps your scenic area didn't go far back enough, with the terrace being the break. Not so!

As you've modelled them so far, the road surfaces seem rather neat and uniform - from my personal experience of that part of the world I'd have expected things to be rather muddier!

They should be a few inches off the back of the baseboard so I've squeezed them in a bit.

• RMweb Premium

No, it's got 4mm scale newspaper on the nail in the door...

Luxury....we used to dream of news paper ont nail behind the door...we were so poor we used dock leaves...

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Cut away the grass and put some stone down this morning.

attachicon.gifIMGP0404-001.JPG

Also got the roof on and the window in.

attachicon.gifIMGP0405-001.JPG

You need to shut that door otherwise the paper will get wet.

I'm assuming that to the left of each toilet that's a wash house with window. Why does the left most wash house have 2 windows?

• RMweb Gold

You need to shut that door otherwise the paper will get wet.

I'm assuming that to the left of each toilet that's a wash house with window. Why does the left most wash house have 2 windows?

Paper won't get wet, doesn't rain up here, always glorious sunshine...

The boarded windows are coal hatches with the coal bunker in the front corner and wash house to the rear, they may have had windows to the rear, the one on the left with the extra window is shown on the map as being larger than the other two and as the maps are all I have to go on it's kind of an educated guess, the sheds further along have what look to be pens outside them so possibly they were keeping pigs. 

http://maps.nls.uk//view/125627278

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only you could have found that... get back to your sick bed.

One thing that had been puzzling me, looking at the map, was the interlocking plan of each pair of houses in the terrace.

It does seem an odd way to build them, High Baring on the moor top was, and to a certain extent still is, the same. Hill Cottages, School Row and Florence Terrace (further along) are 'standard' terrace houses, although the top end of Florence Terrace seems to have been back-to-back.