Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

Guest Midland Mole

I'm waiting with popcorn on standbye for when they arrive, and RMweb can once again resound to the sound of "IT'S WRONG, IT'S ALLLLLLL WROONGGGEGEGG" :P

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

I'm waiting with popcorn on standbye for when they arrive, and RMweb can once again resound to the sound of "IT'S WRONG, IT'S ALLLLLLL WROONGGGEGEGG" :P

Alex

But its PRETTY!!!!

:jester:

As for the popcorn, I'll stick to a crate of cider and we'll see how many bottles have to be consumed before it looks "acceptable"

Hmmm... Perhaps all model railway magazine reviews should include a bottle index, the less the better....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Edwardian would prefer one with a correct firebox, rivets in the right places and proper cab cutout. Just like you two he is likely to be disappointed.

At least he has some standards that he looks for rather than just blindly accepting any old mediocre rubbish that suppliers think they can fob off on to people. :)

• Like 1

That was quietly done.

Quietly, but not quite hush-hush.  It had been announced that the first Goods would be delivered by the end of June, we're in the second half of the month (eeep!) and it looks like its about to happen.

Batten down the hatches, tin hats on lads, etc....

Despite not having a DG on order myself I hope things turn out well with these as I do have a number of other Oxford items on order.

I am sure we will find out before too long.

... I feel like a railway modeller who has spotted something of use to him RTR.  

It surely is a very useful item, has those 'Ramsbottom/Crewe' running gear dimensions y'see. That's why I will probably be purchasing at some point: there hasn't been a nominal 5' wheel 7'3"+8'3" loco drive produced before. Very useful for a number of other subjects, for an idle type like me who won't build an OO mech if a good RTR option offers. (I'll let youse guys test it to destruction first, before venturing any cash.) Anything GW sells s/h, so no problems selling on any offcuts to defray expense.

Of course, there is dispute about the Roman use of thumbs up/down.  Its alleged that in the arena,  DOWN meant to spare the loser, whilst UP meant despatch the poor devil.

Soooooooooo.....

You like the Dean Goods after all?

(As we used to say in school - Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be. It killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing ME!)

Been very much looking forward to the models arrival since it's announcement at the beginning of last year. Hopefully the issues pointed out have been corrected, though I'm no expert on the class, it still looks to be a cracking model.

Any idea on if the boiler is diecast? Or is it just the chassis and running plate? 

• RMweb Gold

That was quietly done.

There's a full page advert in the new July BRM, including two of the locos on a layout. Looks like the earlier samples though.

Are we getting a horrible feeling that the firebox shape issue has not been addressed, as it seemed from the NRM version it had, or are they going to sell two versions, one with the castings already made and used, and one with corrected firebox for the NRM. The pictures issued still seem to have the wrong profile to the cab as well, again meant to have been sorted on the NRM versions.

As pointed out time after time by others on here, these are not small errors, they are big errors, making the model look different in serious amounts from the real thing.

The careful release seems to indicate they have got to take care, and not raise a storm of criticism all at once. Lets hope the performance is 100%, that may make up a lot for the detail problems.

Stephen

Oh dear.....around and around and around.....

The good news.......  The images might be out of date.

The bad news........   The model might come out as originally envisaged by Oxford.

The good news......   Oxford just might have corrected some of the matters that were raised on here.

The bad news.......... The model might feature incorrect firebox profile, wrongly shaped cab cut-out, rivets in wrong places etc etc etc...

The good news........ The model might be totally perfect in every detail...

The obvious............. We have two choices...!

Oh dear.....around and around and around.....

The good news.......  The images might be out of date.

The bad news........   The model might come out as originally envisaged by Oxford.

The good news......   Oxford just might have corrected some of the matters that were raised on here.

The bad news.......... The model might feature incorrect firebox profile, wrongly shaped cab cut-out, rivets in wrong places etc etc etc...

The good news........ The model might be totally perfect in every detail...

The obvious............. We have two choices...!

Yep

Buy and rectify the errors

or

Buy and leave alone.

You think there might be a third choice?