PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

Right, but to take C&L as an example, it's significantly more expensive and not as widely available. (But yes I agree, it looks very authentic).

SMP is cheaper than C&L (although still dearer than Peco usually is). 

http://marcway.net/list3.php?col=head&name=SCALEWAY+TRACK

The chairs are smaller than C&L track, but more things run on it than C&L without problems.  For instance, on the RMWeb Oxford Rail Adams Radial thread, someone reports that the Oxford Radial runs okay on SMP track whereas someone else said that there were problems the wheels running on chairs with C&L track, particularly on curves. 

I suspect that C&L might look better, but I believe that SMP looks better than Peco's Code 75 HO track.

SMP has thin sleepers.  If you want to use it with Peco Code 75 points you would probably decide to level it up.  (I used thin cardboard under the SMP flexitrack on my smaller layout.)  With Marcway points, the levels match.

• RMweb Gold

PS: Does anyone have any opinion on whether the next PECO development should be in P4 of 4sf/00sf? And for that matter which one of the two gauges is best?

Peco has always been consistently good at judging what is commercially viable in their mainstream "I've-moved-on-from-a-trainset-but-regard-track-as-something-to-run-trains-on-rather-than-my-main-focus-of-interest" target market as opposed to the few hundred who model in P4 and the six who think they know (but can't agree) what the other thing is.

So, neither.  :devil:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 5

I now realise though that all this was a complete waste of time and I'm grateful to Martin for drawing my attention to Peco's hyper realistic foam ballast strip. I've never actually noticed a main line ballasted with plastic foam but that's obviously my lack of observation and I must look out of the window more on my next train journey.

You will need to look long and hard. The full-size railway noticed many decades ago that foam ballast deteriorates into a gooey mess and has since replaced nearly all of it with stone ballast.

• RMweb Premium

I spoke with the Peco people at the York show today, and they said they expected the OO Bullhead track at the end of the year, possibly for Warley,  maybe December.

Jamie

Ar$e. I may have a go at altering the sleeper spacing on my Scaleway Bullhead (Platform loops) to make it look a bit nearer the Peco spacing. I realise it should be the other way around and may well spend hours doing the Peco FB 10 Yards or so I need for my fast through tracks and purchase  some more Scaleway for the rest of the area, Yards and Branch. However I've already got the Peco Slips and Pointwork. So CIBA...............not sure? I'm not waiting 'till end of '16 or even later as I could be dead by then.

B. Allast

• Like 1

@Edwardian Is plain BH track and FB points any worse than SMP plain track and copper-clad, gapped sleepers with solder 'chaired' points? Or BH points with stamped point blades with huge gaps from the stock rails? Would you even notice from 3' away?

Ah, the eternal question ...

• RMweb Gold

You will need to look long and hard. The full-size railway noticed many decades ago that foam ballast deteriorates into a gooey mess and has since replaced nearly all of it with stone ballast.

But the real thing is not perfect yet, they still have not got the trick of using PVA glue to hold it in place.

John

I agree completely with that.

You have summarised the whole thread in one sentence.

Peco has always been consistently good at judging what is commercially viable in their mainstream "I've-moved-on-from-a-trainset-but-regard-track-as-something-to-run-trains-on-rather-than-my-main-focus-of-interest" target market as opposed to the few hundred who model in P4 and the six who think they know (but can't agree) what the other thing is.

So, neither.  :devil:

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I spoke with the Peco people at the York show today, and they said they expected the OO Bullhead track at the end of the year, possibly for Warley,  maybe December.

Jamie

But the really important question is "Are they doing matching pointwork?"

Cheers,

Mick

I read something, somewhere about them doing bullhead rail if it is any help. Though I'm not sure if it is in 00, P4, EM or 00sf/4sf.

Incidentally, which of those gauges do you think is the best choice for them?

But the really important question is "Are they doing matching pointwork?"

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I read something, somewhere about them doing bullhead rail if it is any help. Though I'm not sure if it is in 00, P4, EM or 00sf/4sf.

Incidentally, which of those gauges do you think is the best choice for them?

For Peco - I think there's no question to be asked, but you could always try asking Peco direct.

"Normal" 16.5mm 00 is their tried and trusted market.

(Cue long discussion on what normal 16.5mm/00 really means..........)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

For Peco - I think there's no question to be asked, but you could always try asking Peco direct.

"Normal" 16.5mm 00 is their tried and trusted market.

(Cue long discussion on what normal 16.5mm/00 really means..........)

Cheers,

Mick

Well, now you come to mention it, there is nothing sacred about a gauge of 1435.1 mm. It just happens to be the nominal minimum gauge that's used on a lot of railways. The actual track gauge at any particular location might be considerably greater than that.

Likewise, there is nothing sacred about a gauge of 16.5 mm. It just happens to be the nominal maximum gauge that's used on a lot of model railways. The actual track gauge at any particular location might be considerably less than that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Peco better get the finger out. I'm not sure we'll be able to stand another year of this

Never mind about that, my computer just updated itself to BST (daylight-saving time) right in the middle of compiling the Templot code files. Argh!

Martin.

Never mind about that, my computer just updated itself to BST (daylight-saving time) right in the middle of compiling the Templot code files. Argh!

Martin.

I know I should not be laughing.