PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Gold

If Peco's cash flow is such that they need to sell plain track first in order to quickly recoup the cost of obtaining the bullhead rail, then one option for them would have been to say that they will (rather than "perhaps") produce matching turnouts in x months time starting with an x" radius left and right hand turnouts in e.g. January 2017 followed later that year by other formations and radii. That would take the uncertainty out of the issue for those for whom it is a problem.

Meanwhile I see no problem in perhaps buying several yards of the new track for my own main line run where there are no turnouts, even if the track and turnouts in the station are different. After all track is not uniform throughout any railway company but varies from place to place.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was ' flat bottomed rail' ......??

Better that than flat bottomed girls....

Chris - it was Meatloaf that wanted is all now, it was Queen that liked fat bottomed girls.......totally politically incorrect by today's OTT standards.....

Getting way OT now, but Chris is right. Are you thinking of Meatloaf wanting his money back (because there are no matching points...)?

Edited by 57xx

Chris - it was Meatloaf that wanted is all now, it was Queen that liked fat bottomed girls.......totally politically incorrect by today's OTT standards.....

Not heard the Meatloaf song, but definitely Queen in my book.....

Even more relevant.  I want it all, I want it all, I want it now.....

Not to mention a 'one track mind'.....

• Like 1

I for one am pleased that Peco have announced the introduction of this track. They have always made good, sturdy stuff  and to have a finescale track made to their manufacturing standards can only be a good thing.

Dave

• Like 1

Not heard the Meatloaf song, but definitely Queen in my book.....

Even more relevant.  I want it all, I want it all, I want it now.....

Not to mention a 'one track mind'.....

Yep, you're quite right, I was thinking of 'Life is a lemon and I want my money back....'

• RMweb Gold

Crikey, I see your point; it's my fault that Peco having been hawking HO track as ersatz OO for years.  I never thought to mention that some of us might quite like more prototypical track, but, of course, without me mentioning it how could Peco have known?!?

I feel such a fool.

I think I'd better abandon this thread to the cognoscenti and crawl back into my hole.

People have been banging on about more prototypical OO track for some time. I think Peco could have released their Code 75 flat-bottomed track with wider sleeper spacing in the past; why does more prototypical have to mean bull-head?

Edited by Budgie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

People have been banging on about more prototypical OO track for some time. I think Peco could have released their Code 75 flat-bottomed track with wider sleeper spacing in the past; why does more prototypical have to mean bull-head?

But surely more prototypical 00 track should have a gauge of 18.83mm.........?

Ah, oops, hat, coat and walking out the door...

Cheers,

Mick

Getting back to the serious bit........

When I was first taught to build points and track work, it was then all copperclad, and half track (remember that) mainly built in situ.

Solder was used to form the 'chair' and the sleepers were as thick as whatever the copper clad was at the time.

I did try the BRooke Smith method, but found it way to time consuming.

Does anyone still build point work in situ?

Working from Tracksettas or as I was taught, using pre cut ply radii curves?

Or has everyone gone over to Templot or similar?

Building point work isn't that difficult, the hardest bit I found was filing the switch and getting the joggle right.

This was back in the late 70's and there really was no other alternative........

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 1

Personally , I think PECOs announcement is a blocking one, to try and prevent certain potential competitors from entering the market. In reality they are not going to sell much track , if punters have to build point work to match. PECO will know this , announcing the track buys them time to design and manufacture the pointwork , which I beleive they will do regardless of "reaction " .

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone still build point work in situ?

Yes, which would explain why I don't have a working plank of any kind. In fact, most if it went in the bin and I started taking happy pills again.

post-1328-0-48881600-1455189815_thumb.jpg

People often ask me: 

"Tim, why are you beating your head against the wall?"

To which I reply:

"Because it's lovely when I stop"

P.L. Yrivet

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

Good point. And it would represent much of the track in the UK today while still being sufficiently "traditional". Perhaps 83 thou rail would be more appropriate, but even if it was 75 thou rail, it would still look pretty good.

A cynic might suggest that Peco decided they would be a lot less likely to infuriate their installed base in the UK by switching to bullhead rail at the same time as changing the sleeper dimensions and spacing. If those were the only changes they made now some people might ask what was preventing them from doing it thirty or forty years ago.

• Like 2

That would have meant having two separate ranges of code 75 FB track, one with the established sleeper dimensions and spacing that are actually to H0 scale that they sell very succesfully throughout the world and one with wider sleeper spacing just for the British 00 market. With the modern automated tooling that Peco have invested heavily in that might now be commercially viable but almost certainly wasn't in even the fairly recent past.

• RMweb Gold

why does more prototypical have to mean bull-head?

It doesn't necessarily have to be bullhead, but if flat-bottom it would need to be code 82 to be prototypical, the code 75 rail is under-scale for UK flat-bottom rail (6.1/4" height*, code 82).

Whereas code 75 is exactly to scale for bullhead rail (BS-95R), and can be used in conjunction with the code 75 flat-bottom range.

*FB-109, BS-110A, BS-113A flat-bottom rails.

Martin.

• Like 1