Oxford Rail Wish List?

Edwardian

GWR Coaches; either Toplights or Collett non-corridors (bow ended or flat ended, I ain't bothered) would be very nice indeed, particularly if they were done to the same standards as the recently released MK3's.

To mitigate the risk of design and tooling errors - which Oxford have form for - I would go for the flush sided mulitbar toplight, which saw the least alteration iirc, and I would offer a TK, CK , BTK, BCK and a BG. If they came in at the Mk3 prices (£29 at Hattons) I would but about 15 or so!

I would bet a small mars bar that they would sell like the proverbial, erm, hot cakes....

CoY

Completely agree.  I love my Collett bow-enders but I need some Toplights to mix up my rakes a bit more and make them a bit more GWR.

I love my Collett bow-enders but I need some Toplights to mix up my rakes a bit more and make them a bit more GWR.

Indeed. Then throw a clerestory or two to modern standards into the mix and you would have it. A train like that would look spot on heading down the Great Central behind a Bachmann C1 Ivatt Atlantic!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Guys

One model that I would appreciate in ready to run is a GWR 2-4-0 metro tank loco to complement my 14xx

Thanks

Alan

I would suggest 'never say never'

However, the last examples of locomotives that can be accurately scanned are fast diminishing.

Also, like you, I'd like a Metro (large, please) to run it in a South Wales setting. That as well as the dozen or so Western-area locomotives that I consistently bang on about. Dapol are only making the large prairie to shut me up! 

Still, there are other producers, and you will never know that a polite request can bear fruit.

Cheers,

Ian

Indeed. Then throw a clerestory or two to modern standards into the mix and you would have it. A train like that would look spot on heading down the Great Central behind a Bachmann C1 Ivatt Atlantic!

I'd prefer RTR clerestories to be honest; there's a smattering of Collett options (including new tooling from H) but an absolute dearth of clerestory stock unless you get into kits. Early 1900's GWR modellers would also appreciate it.

I would suggest 'never say never'

However, the last examples of locomotives that can be accurately scanned are fast diminishing.

Also, like you, I'd like a Metro (large, please) to run it in a South Wales setting. That as well as the dozen or so Western-area locomotives that I consistently bang on about. Dapol are only making the large prairie to shut me up! 

Still, there are other producers, and you will never know that a polite request can bear fruit.

Cheers,

Ian

e

Hi Ian

I really don't think any of the big manufacturers will do a metro tank in a hurry however this maybe one for a crowdfunding now only if I new where to start lol

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Assuming Oxford Diecast will make three new release announcements this year https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/blogs/news/release-programme-2-2017-and-hidden-messages

those who hoped a new loco or carriages were announced last month, you might have hope later on this year.

I think Oxford Rail could be working on carriages or associated rolling stock to accompany their big rail-mounted gun.

However I'd like some GER 6-wheelers to be released to run with the forthcoming N7.

Edited by gc4946

Assuming Oxford Diecast will make three new release announcements this year https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/blogs/news/release-programme-2-2017-and-hidden-messages

those who hoped a new loco or carriages were announced last month, you might have hope later on this year.

I think Oxford Rail could be working on carriages or associated rolling stock to accompany their big rail-mounted gun.

However I'd like some GER 6-wheelers to be released to run with the forthcoming N7.

My wishlist may come true:

87BC55003 Buick Century 1955 California Highway Patrol Q1/2018

Although this is no longer as advertised the Broderick Crawford Highway Patrol Special. Must have been a licensing problem.  An absolute essential for my 1950ish California Southern Pacific layout. The Broderick Crawford version would need a figure of the portly star and a film crew.  Will have to check the Preiser catalogs.

• Like 1

Hi All,

There are 3 wagons that could be good for Oxford to do (not least of which that they are missing from my Little Didcot Collection - motives revealed!). Despite the fact that they are personal wants, I really think that they would be a great move and very popular with modellers.

The HYDRA - long lived wagons that would fill a gap in the 4 wheel fitted well wagon market (there isn’t one I don’t think!). It could be sold with a road vehicle load that is appropriate to each of the many livery options! Rail and road vehicles are two things that Oxford already do so it shouldn’t be hard to arrange. I also know where there is a G22 example ready for measuring, scanning and / photographing. I’m just saying...

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/42193/42193.html

The ROTANK and a suitable road tanker. I’m surprised that Oxford haven’t twigged this one as it’s a two for one. A road vehicle and a rail vehicle in one! Think about the fact that they could also sell a suitable tractor unit to go with it too and it’s a no-brainer! How about a box set with a loading ramp, a couple of ROTANKS, some trailers and a tractor unit too? Sounds like a useful addition to a goods yard! The chassis is also VERY similar to some of the GWR milk tanks too. I know where the last complete example is sat just waiting to be measured, scanned and / or photographed and it’s an O58. Just saying again...

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/3030/3030.html

Here’s the odd ball suggestion. I don’t think I’ve seen kits or RTR for any of the later BR built bogie well Wagons. You can’t bash these from any of the existing Bachmann RTR as the side girders are really different. I will need to build No. 901002 Bogie Well Wagon. To call this a service vehicle is a bit of a weird one as it older than the conversion I have just built (S&T Van No. 263), 1952 and it is a product of Swindon Works! They also lasted a long time in service. Again, I know that there is a diagram 2/513 vehicle that could be measured, scanned and / or photographed. Well, you know, I’m just saying...

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/901002/901002.html

What do people think?

All the best,

Castle

PS: What about doing the AA2 conversion from the TOAD they already have to the S&T mess van like No. 263? I did. Also, as you may have guessed, I know where one lives...

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/263/263.html

post-14393-0-80022900-1518190789_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

NER 21 Ton  Wooden Hoppers used by  NER, LNER, BR and NCB plus preservation Bowes Railway and others = ££££££££ of sales.

It would be nice but as it will almost certainly have no interior detailing on the sides just like the Slaters kit!

Unless it is done as a two part body!

Mark Saunders

Hi All,

There are 3 wagons that could be good for Oxford to do (not least of which that they are missing from my Little Didcot Collection - motives revealed!). Despite the fact that they are personal wants, I really think that they would be a great move and very popular with modellers.

The HYDRA - long lived wagons that would fill a gap in the 4 wheel fitted well wagon market (there isn’t one I don’t think!). It could be sold with a road vehicle load that is appropriate to each of the many livery options! Rail and road vehicles are two things that Oxford already do so it shouldn’t be hard to arrange. I also know where there is a G22 example ready for measuring, scanning and / photographing. I’m just saying...

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/42193/42193.html

The ROTANK and a suitable road tanker. I’m surprised that Oxford haven’t twigged this one as it’s a two for one. A road vehicle and a rail vehicle in one! Think about the fact that they could also sell a suitable tractor unit to go with it too and it’s a no-brainer! How about a box set with a loading ramp, a couple of ROTANKS, some trailers and a tractor unit too? Sounds like a useful addition to a goods yard! The chassis is also VERY similar to some of the GWR milk tanks too. I know where the last complete example is sat just waiting to be measured, scanned and / or photographed and it’s an O58. Just saying again...

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/3030/3030.html

For me a GWR HYDRA or a GWR Loriot would be most welcome. Having seen the SVR's GWR 'Loriot D' 42138, 'Loriot L' 42272, 'Loriot N' 42343 and 'Loriot Y' 41990, these would suitable wagons for Oxford to work on considering these would of all carried road vehicles in their working lives.

The ROTANK again is another I would welcome too to the RTR scene...

32870883983_09fd44fe27_b.jpg

7698459960_8c19984f55_b.jpg

35167110854_45940e8263_b.jpg

8765721625_14da4562ce_b.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

I'd like to suggest the ex GER, LNER E4. Hornby have recently produced a number of engines which frequented and/or were built on the GE section, B17, K1, J15, B12, and D16, all of which seem to have sold well. An E4 would probably capitalise on the widespread sale of those previous GE section engines. Oxford clearly have confidence in the market for ex GER, LNER engines and the imminent N7 seems potentially very popular. Additionally, as far as I'm aware, it would be the first main manufacturer production of the 2-4-0 wheel arrangement, and, in latter  life, a very popular rural branch line engine.

I watched the recent Greatest Little Railway series shown on television on Sunday evenings. During one of the episodes there was a shot of a passenger train approaching Spean Bridge, (I think), station, ( Probably pre 1949 as the engine appeared to be black & both had first post nationalisation generals in 1949 (Yeadons), as the engine still carried the LNER number). I was very surprised to see that it was one of only two V4 2-6-2 engines produced by Sir Nigel shortly before his death, and intended to be the future LNER light mixed traffic standard engine. Unfortunately, Thompson assumed control and immediately trashed the plan. These were beautiful engines, unique in the UK as 2-6-2 wheel arrangement, light traffic tender engine. Only two were built, one had an extended spell in East Anglia working from Stratford and Norwich, then both worked in Scotland, from Haymaket, Eastfield and Ferryhill, until the late fifties. The V4 was very popular at Stratford and much preferred to the 2 cylinder 2-6-0s and 4-6-0s. These were particularly handsome engines.For those reasons I would also suggest the V4.

Best Regards,

Eric.

• Like 3

I watched the recent Greatest Little Railway series shown on television on Sunday evenings. During one of the episodes there was a shot of a passenger train approaching Spean Bridge, (I think), station, ( Probably pre 1949 as the engine appeared to be black & both had first post nationalisation generals in 1949 (Yeadons), as the engine still carried the LNER number). I was very surprised to see that it was one of only two V4 2-6-2 engines produced by Sir Nigel shortly before his death, and intended to be the future LNER light mixed traffic standard engine. Unfortunately, Thompson assumed control and immediately trashed the plan. These were beautiful engines, unique in the UK as 2-6-2 wheel arrangement, light traffic tender engine. Only two were built, one had an extended spell in East Anglia working from Stratford and Norwich, then both worked in Scotland, from Haymaket, Eastfield and Ferryhill, until the late fifties. The V4 was very popular at Stratford and much preferred to the 2 cylinder 2-6-0s and 4-6-0s. These were particularly handsome engines.For those reasons I would also suggest the V4.

I agree about the V4 being a super engine, such a shame that nasty Mr Thompson put paid to Sir Nigel's plans for them, otherwise they might have proved to be his ultimate masterpiece. One for the 'new build' steam boys I think, because it's a massive shame we don't have one (or both) of these in preservation. 

I'm also sure they would make an equally lovely model, and would appeal to those whose sympathies lie north of the border, which might just be catching a wave (hopefully) at the moment.

Edit - I just checked, and the A1 Steam Trust, Darlington do indeed intend to build a Gresley V4 after the their current P2 project is completed, which does lend weight too the production of a model, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 2

I agree about the V4 being a super engine, such a shame that nasty Mr Thompson put paid to Sir Nigel's plans for them, otherwise they might have proved to be his ultimate masterpiece. One for the 'new build' steam boys I think, because it's a massive shame we don't have one (or both) of these in preservation. 

I'm also sure they would make an equally lovely model, and would appeal to those whose sympathies lie north of the border, which might just be catching a wave (hopefully) at the moment.

Edit - I just checked, and the A1 Steam Trust, Darlington do indeed intend to build a Gresley V4 after the their current P2 project is completed, which does lend weight too the production of a model, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Hi,

I took a look at the trust's site, great news. I was at Stratford for a short time at the end of steam and was told how well the V4 was thought of, and it really was a go anywhere engine. Did you see the engine in the Greatest Little Railway show? I couldn't believe it as it's the only film of the V4 I've ever seen and Eastfield must have had many more light mixed traffic engines. Perhaps the trusts plans will encourage one of the main manufacturers to produce a model of the engine, I hope so.

Best Regards,

Eric.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For me a GWR HYDRA or a GWR Loriot would be most welcome. Having seen the SVR's GWR 'Loriot D' 42138, 'Loriot L' 42272, 'Loriot N' 42343 and 'Loriot Y' 41990, these would suitable wagons for Oxford to work on considering these would of all carried road vehicles in their working lives.

Absolutely agree about a Hydra or Loriet,  would be most useful wagons for carrying all sorts of interesting loads..

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

HST class 43. This is an obvious choice since nothing else goes with HST mk3's. Also Lyndon Davies apparently has a personal interest in trains and the real HST's go as far as Swansea, his home city.

The class 43 would be a great choice and a mk3 DVT, even though Hornbys DVT is good, but does have its faults like no close coupling, height, rear buffers in extended position and no option to put a coupling on to the front.

I am looking forward to the HST MK3s 

Peter

• Like 1