Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Ken

The later livery that you are using appears to have two thin bands (yellow or gold?) along the mouldings below the windows. It would seem that in later life panelling was removed/replaced and it shows as here on the replacement? luggage doors.

post-5366-0-14818200-1538122980_thumb.jpg

It is also visible on some of the unpanelled fronts on later photos

post-5366-0-42487700-1538123141_thumb.jpg

Dave

• Like 2

Hi All. Just about finished now. The roof will be bolted down when the glazing is completed and the seats and passengers are fitted. Also some control detail after glazing and of course the wiper blades.

I was looking at the yellow line around the waist but as I'm not an expert at painting and lining, decided not to risk spoiling it.

She runs very nice even before running in is done.  I had intended to have eight wheel pickups but as the power bogie is very crowded and hardly any room left I have just put them on the trailing bogie. As is has excellent axle box suspension there is no problems with current pickup.

I will be doing subtle weathering to the roof as it's just too clean.  Also the body will have a very small amount of weathering too.

It's been a journey of patience and at time a bit frustrating but I'm quite pleased with the result and Scopio have done a pretty good job on this kit.

Improvements should be on the instruction sheets, as decent photos to help the build are needed. A shame the photo copies of the photo scans are just not good enough to be of much use. 

post-150-0-75500700-1538155753_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-45268300-1538155775_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-03678100-1538155826_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-75500700-1538155753_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-45268300-1538155775_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-03678100-1538155826_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7

To hold on to with one hand whilst you balance on the buffers and clean the flies off the windscreens with a soggy rag in the other? :)

I don’t think the cross-ways rod behind the gong is a handrail, I thought it might be the operating rod for the gong itself, but I’m not at all sure. Question for the next visit to Didcot!

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond

Nope, I’m all in favour of H&S, we all want to get home safe after a day at work.

The problem is the rule makers who are often desk-pilots trying to create general rules to cover every possible issue, and thus making absurdly complicated, unwieldy & unreasonable proclamations, pronouncements & prohibitions. A degree of common sense is required, however, if sense were more common, (and safety were less expensive) there would be less need for rule books!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks for that lovely photo of 76.  Pity I did not have that before numbering the model.  I had another look at the history and the side flags from the bell are not always present .  I have added the bell operating mechanism and the tube from the box alongside it. There are some photos in this condition. So I assuming 76 had them removed late on in its life. (No worse that running 76 15 years after withdrawal in my view)

Anyway passengers are seated, coal in the bunker. All detailing done and now ready for the driving crew to be added tomorrow. Plus a little touching up on the paint in one or two little spots. Weathering to be added also.

Photo awaiting the roof to be bolted down.

Close up photos do make the windows look dirty, that's very odd as they look just fine from viewing distance.

post-150-0-82717000-1538234382_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-21846700-1538234462_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-51155700-1538234492_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The PCA Rodding takes an unusual path behind the Gong, but in this case there's no alternative. The 'Butterfly' tell-tales are there, but as they're white & against a light background they tend to disappear.

The End Decoded:—

post-26141-0-04485600-1538254063.jpg

& what's under the Gong?

post-26141-0-67575900-1538254789_thumb.jpg

An overgrown bicycle bell mechanism :D

Pete S.

• Like 7

Pete,

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

I wondered if it was “the cord that thou shalt not pull”, but decided it couldn't be as I assumed it would be straight, it hadn’t occurred to me that they’d use the offset corridor coach mech.

I doubt I’ll ever get round to building a rail motor, but I’m better informed if ever I do!

Cheers

Simon

Agreed, on the photo of 76 the rodding is there.    Unfortunately I did not have that photo during the build and was follow photos of one that did not have the flags/butterfly tell-tales.

I may see if I can fit them without messing up the paintwork though.

OK. Some alterations now done,  Touched up the paint and now on the track for test runs before final weathering is done.

My thanks for the photos and information on 76 I have received. It's appreciated. Ken

Photos of her at Trenruth.

post-150-0-93678100-1538308316_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-63842200-1538308384_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-56999300-1538308350_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi All. After the excitement on the GWR Steam Railmotor I am starting the second kit I from Telford Guildex visit, Warren Shepphard's new kit the GWR 15xx.  This is a very complex kit with lots of castings.  It will be powered by the Slater's GB30R-3M gearbox with a Cannon EN22 motor. Another loco for the roster that would not have been seen on the Bodin to Wadebridge route. But I happen to like this loco.

I have high hopes for this kit as Warren has put a lot of work into it. 

• Like 5

Hi All.  OK, I opened the 15xx class box yesterday and spent most of the day slightly bewildered at the sheer number of castings to identify and prepare.  Anyway after The initial shock wore of, I actually started the build.  Today I ran into a problem with the eccentric box/gross supports and slidebar supports. I could not quite figure out how the supports fitted in place. A call to Warren and he explained how it's done.  It's ended up I have two pages missing from the box.  They were promptly emailed to me and a CD of photos of every stage of the build will arrive in a day or two.

In the meantime I can proceed with other parts of the build. By the looks of it it will be another slow one as it's very complex.  The build on display at Telford looked fantastic, I hope mine will be as good.

The build so far.

post-150-0-49694400-1538578471_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Been quiet for a couple of days but now make a bit of progress on the WB.  One thing for certain this kit is not for a beginner. Interesting that Warren says from the start the instructions are not intended to tell you how to build it. The booklet instructions show drawings in various stages of build. What the best order of assembly is up to you. A couple of times I should have done some things in a different order and had to undo what I had assembled.

Never mind, it keeps the brain active.

post-150-0-80090600-1538844468_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

One thing for certain this kit is not for a beginner..... A couple of times I should have done some things in a different order and had to undo what I had assembled.

Ken

It's always helpful when you tell us mere mortals what these were!

Cheers

Dave

Ken

It's always helpful when you tell us mere mortals what these were!

Cheers

Dave

Hi. The problems were with the valve gear. I had to unassemble it three times before getting all the parts in place.  The main problem I had was the slide bar support, I had to pull it apart to get them fitted. I had planned to get everything adjusted and running before fitting the supports, unfortunately that did not work out.

Today was mostly spent preparing the brake gear and fitting the wheels ready for installing the brakes. Again it required a lot of work to get them to turn and with the valve gear. So another strip down and adjustments. All this mostly because of the method of fitting the return cranks. (A new one on me) They are attached from behind the wheels so cannot be accessed and taken off without removing the wheels, they are held in place by a small peg that bites into the face of the wheel when the rear screw is tighten up. The normal method is to fit the coupling rods then when all is running smooth, fit the return cranks and solder them in place. Easy peasy.

Anyway end of the day and the wheels/valve gear finally running ok.

On with the brakes tomorrow.  The rest of the build should be fairly straight forward :dontknow: He says hopefully.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

Hi all. Very little time on the WB bench yesterday and today we could not miss enjoying the gorgeous afternoon on the Great Orme. Fantastic weather weather and the ice cream was welcome up there.

I spent a lot of time researching the Ersa soldering stations and took the plunge and order one, arrived today. Looks a very nice bit of kit too.

Now awaiting the UK to EU adapter plug ordered today.

Anyway, I digress. Here it is so far. The body is going together much better that the chassis did.  Still had do a bit of tweaking and filing even so.

Nothing serious though.

post-150-0-20939800-1539192367_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 10

Hi. Reading ahead at a snails pace today.  A lot done from the base of the tank down and under the tank, a lot of it cannot be seen and could have been left off I guess.  Should be able to get the tank top done and other bits and bobs like the roof, buffers & smoke box door, handrails etc etc.

After all that a lot of cleaning up and removing solder etc. 

post-150-0-17833000-1539271251_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-09613500-1539271274_thumb.jpg

• Like 8