Taunton Members Day 2016 - the Saturday evening pub meeting

Captain Kernow

I ordered mine 5 minutes ago, and gave the name 'Sandy', so we will see.
I admit they didn't seem to have any urgency re. names.

I got the impression it was all going on a Mr Maddox's tab......  :O

But should there be any confusion I've ordered a 'Prawn Cocktail', I know naph.....

... and a 'Larger Chicken New Yorker' - I don't know what the 'Larger' means,

... but if it's on Mr Maddox's tab, who am I to argue.

PS. Tim, SWMBO has cried off,

so just me from the very far edge of Cornwall at 'Table' on Saturday....

.. and who's Mr Maddox ?

PPS - What time is Dinner set for, please, as after the Taunton MRC visit, I have to go back to the North Taunton Premier Inn, then Taxi to the Cross Keys.  It's all about time scales, or staying sober. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim,

When I rang this evening around 17.45, it was a battle to get some one to take my food order and when I asked if they wanted my name I was told no it wasn't needed, so it may be case of the manger needs to brief his/her staff as to what details are needed.

See you tomorrow.

Sandy - the booking is for 7.30 pm, but I've told him that we'll be turning up between 7.15 pm and 7.30 pm.

Many thanks, I think - I know, I will be there then, ready to eat.... 

Leave Taunton MRC about 6.45pm...

Right that's it, no more internet till Sunday Night.

• RMweb Gold

At least it isn't under water, which is often the case at the Cross Keys.

Well, the water analogy that comes to mind is that the pub is a complete shower. More of that anon, if anyone asks, but I'might too tired now to go into details. Suffice to say that if I was doing another event next year, I wouldn't go back there.

Suffice to say that if I was doing another event next year, I wouldn't go back there.

I agree, neither would I go back there ........

But "..... IF I was doing another event next year..... ". IF ?

I haven't got round to finding Stubbys PSMT, but as I said to him yesterday there's a lovely film - on BBC IPlayer called the Romance of Indian Railways - featuring the late Mike Satow, filmed in the earlier 1970s - there's an excellent piece at 25 mins in, on the PSMT - that said the whole prog is superb - with lots of lovely steam footage - infact I get all bleary eyed as its a great reminder of nearly 30 years ago, cab riding YG class Pacifics - but that's for another day and the railway memoirs (of which yesterday will go in, along with derailments I attended!)

I don't know who will be doing the booking for the Saturday Night Dinner next year, I have an idea of a place.

I will check it out in a couple of weeks time when I'm passing by to collect a friend - on a long way round from PZ to Bracknell for ExpoEM - and then who-ever is picking up the mantle, I will let them know.

As at least 4 rooms in the adjacent hotel where occupied by SWAG members on Saturday night, it may save one or two journeys in the evening - of course, it may also increase some journeys, It's a no win situation. :no:

Getting a bit ahead of are selfs as we don't know if there is a show yet, but The Merry Monk does a very nice carvery, I can attest to that. But my god it gets very busy in there on Saturday night, you would have no chance if you haven't booked. any late add ons will go hungry but it does have devisable off rooms

As a family I have had no problems at the cross keys, but sure sounds like they can't cope with a party, still at the Taunton club some one was saying it was changing to another chain of pub soon, and i did worry when I heard they weren't taking names against orders

I have other suggestions for eats but let's get a show first !

Graham, agreed getting ahead, however, whilst it's fresh in my mind I have to have a go, because before a month or two's gone by, I shall be bogged down in a load of other activities and I will loose sight of this topic, by the time next year comes round I will have no ideas at all.

People think once your retired, life is ordered, time to spare, etc., etc.,
Unfortunately I live amongst a load of not so healthy people, I'm one of those Jack of all Trades and life is very busy, never a chance to lock myself away for a day, let alone more, and concentrate on a single activity.
I have a sloping smokebox 'Coal Tank' I'm trying to finish, 5 years or more now......

Archived