Which class of locomotives do you own the most of for your layout?

3 Hornby Smokey Joes, although one has been converted to broad gauge, and the other two are for conversion to different looking locos in O-16.5

2 Hornby 2721 Panniers, although they are both for conversion to different classes. One will be an 1813 class with panniers as first fitted in 1904, and the other one will be something far more drastic!

I forgot my two Dapol O gauge Terriers! While the Hornby locos are destined to be turned into 5 different locos, I've got two Terriers because the Kent & East Sussex Railway had two. They're both No 3 "Bodiam" at the moment, but one will become No 5 "Rolvenden", when I get started on the layout I bought them for.

9F 2-10-0's for me

A 1973 Triang,, 2 1980's Hornby, 4 recent Hornby railroad loco drive, a weathered Bachmann and a recent Hornby Crosti.

I love nine-two'ers !!!

Brit15

Ok. 

4 4Fs + 2 in bits, all detailed Airfix from long ago,    2   3Fs, 1 Bachmann, 1 MPD kit (remember those?)  

3  5MTs,  named SR ones, Bachmann. 

2/3 of the Beattie well tanks that survived in BR days.

2 small prairies, 2 large prairies.

3 A1s  all Railroad Tornados being back dated, plus 2 A2s, one is an A2/1 nucast kit.

4 A4s  Hornby, Hornby, Hornby Dublo  GBL on Hornby chassis

5   47s,  2 Heljan,  2  Bachmann, 1 Lima

3  37s, Bachmann & detailed Hornby

3 Lima Warships

2 Heljan MR

2 MZ  Electotren and Lima

Plus lots of "single" models.   

Not everything runs together, obviously,  but having a double track main line I can run trains that pass each other with appropriate locos and stock.  Most blue diesels are DCC, green era BR and steam is DC.

A running session would be with matching era/area trains.

• RMweb Gold

i was only thinking about how many of certain classes i have on saturday as i bought another class 37, ive not looked in my stock boxes proper but i somehow have ended up with numerous examples of certain modern image diesels, many not through concious choice but they at the time were "bargains" that were too good to miss out on (or so i keep saying to myself)

a lot of my 'multiples' are locos ive driven in real life and i have very few 'multiple livery' locos numbered differently, they all seem to be colas ones at the moment

67s x 4 despite only actually intending to buy one wsmr version (arriva, royal claret and schenker maple leaf being the others)

66s x 9 i think (inc 2 multiple colas examples both renumbered and named)

47 x 3 (again 2 x colas examples, 1 of which is renumbered and a royal claret one)

as for 37s, for some reason ive ended up with 8 of those, mostly DRS liveries and all bar large logo 37401 they are ones ive driven in real life

i did at one point have a number of chiltern 168s in different guises which since i finished working for them i sold on

Although I don't yet have a layout, and likely won't commence one anytime soon, I'm gathering a fleet that gives me options

7 X Castles (6 new tooling & 1 old)

5 X Halls (2 X Bachmann & 3 X Hornby's latest effort)

4 X 57XX/8750

4 X 28/38xx

3 X Star

3 X 42/52xx

I suppose my future layout has to be, at the very least, a secondary main line... But then I'll have 3 Kings courtesy of Hornby and Hattons' joint efforts! Bah. 

CoY

P.S if Bachmann got their act together the 43/53/93xx Mogul would easily outnumber all of those above - such was their prototypical proliferation!

Mmmmmmmm think it would be easier to name a Loco type I don't have multiples of............ Now let me think.......... ermmmmmmmm.

Ah yes I have a singular Hornby Class 31 (assuming the chassis hasn't been up to something erroneous since I last looked). Of the other 72 loco's they are all multiples.... Well you can never have enough 47's.

Think I too need help.

As lofty1966 said, this topic has actually been quite reassuring. I have "only":

3 SD40-2s

2 GP40s (one with dynamics, one without)

1 GP38AC

1 GP38-2

1 U23B

1 MP15AC

As lofty1966 said, this topic has actually been quite reassuring. I have "only":

Who said anything about 18 Panniers ? Eh ? (57xx/87xx/9700/1854/2721/1819/64xx/54xx)

Dunno why I have seven 14xx with two Hattons/DJM's on order.....or is it coz I seem to have now got to 14 auto coaches ?

And who the heck thought it was a great idea to have five Dean Singles ?

I need help !

Nurse !

In OO gauge I've got plenty of single locos, but in what appears to be an ever growing collection of shunters, 8 Sentinels with a further 2 on order and 7 class 08's with a few more to be added before the month is out :-)

Although I don't yet have a layout, and likely won't commence one anytime soon, I'm gathering a fleet that gives me options

4 X 57XX/8750

4 X 28/38xx

3 X Star

3 X 42/52xx

I suppose my future layout has to be, at the very least, a secondary main line... But then I'll have 3 Kings courtesy of Hornby and Hattons' joint efforts! Bah. 

CoY

P.S if Bachmann got their act together the 43/53/93xx Mogul would easily outnumber all of those above - such was their prototypical proliferation!

Ha,

so your building a L&Y layout ?

• RMweb Premium

We're discussing toy trains on the Internet. One can't help but be amused by someone posting about it being irrelevant.

Surely the amusing thing is that so many of us rush to tell everybody else what we have bought. People buy locos because they model a certain area/time period/Region etc etc etc, or even just for the fun of it or a collection. I'm sorry but I'm no more fulfilled or fortified with knowledge about our great hobby by knowing someone has amassed 20 class 66s or has bought up the entire stock of Panier tanks. Therefore it's amusing but imho irrelevant.

But me being a nosey ######, it gives a good insight into what other people rate as being more important, it's interesting (maybe amusing) to see some choices.

Perhaps it's the old 'shopkeeper' in me coming out again ??

• RMweb Premium

Not so.

57XX/8750 easily outnumbered all others. (863 total built compared with just 342 43XX or 330 Halls)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

4 X 57XX/8750

4 X 28/38xx

3 X Star

3 X 42/52xx

CoY

Hmm,

You've got more 'Castles' than me (7 plays 5), fewer 57XX/8750, no 64XX, fewer 42XX/72XX, but more 'Halls' although fewer 'Granges' and I so far have only one 'King' (awaiting some detailing and renumbering to a Canton allocated example).  My biggest problem - although part solved - is where to settle for modelling location although the North & West Route is in pole position with the South Wales Valleys running in second place (the 'Castle' fleet swung that one) as that will also justify my ex-LMS types.

I refuse to account for 'collection'/nostalgia engines although some could reasonably work railtours and others could very unreasonably do that too.

I'm sorry but I'm no more fulfilled or fortified with knowledge about our great hobby by knowing someone has amassed 20 class 66s or has bought up the entire stock of Panier tanks. Therefore it's amusing but imho irrelevant.

I think I am more knowledgeable/ aware of one of the behavioural traits, and potentially personality types active in the hobby, from reading some of the responses to this topic.

Certainly it helps remind me that whilst I'm possibly not unusual in my hoarding ways, it's not a trait that I'm going to be necessarily proud of, or shout from the rooftops.

My biggest problem - although part solved - is where to settle for modelling location although the North & West Route is in pole position with the South Wales Valleys running in second place (the 'Castle' fleet swung that one) as that will also justify my ex-LMS types.[/i]

Nice - somewhere like Abergavenny would be an idea, then you can incorporate both maybe ??

... I'm sorry but I'm no more fulfilled or fortified with knowledge about our great hobby by knowing someone has amassed 20 class 66s or has bought up the entire stock of Panier tanks. Therefore it's amusing but imho irrelevant.

Well, what the owners of these hoards are getting up to interests me. This thread is more confirmation of a suspicion I hold that ever more modellers are escaping the straitjacket of the past, where the labour of making models constrained ambitions to a branchline or minor route, (with an improbably busy operating schedule) for the sunlit uplands of full-on mainline operations. The desuetude of the BLT might happily be upon us.

Archived