Which class of locomotives do you own the most of for your layout?

It might well be trivial but it is definitely relevant - for precisely the reason identified by 34C.

The 'one of anything and everything' idea in motive power is probably the model collectors ideal but is hardly representative of the real railway where depots and routes did indeed have a  variety of motive power but almost inevitably in multiples at any decent size depot.  At one place where I worked we had a stabling point and 16 diagrams for EE Type 3s (Class 37s) based on it plus we had some 350hp shunters (Class 08s) and that was it - we rarely saw any other type of diesel apart from Brush Type 4s and they were few and far between.  In steam days the depot there,  with far more locos on its books, only had a handful of classes - that was how the real railway was.

Coming back to the diesel age I'm finding it hard to think that at any of the depots where I worked our Drivers knew more than 4 or 5 classes of diesel but we had locos in abundance.

Radyr for your 16 diagrams ? Growing up in Whitchurch I had a friend who's dad was a driver at Radyr, he knew 4 types, 08, D95xx ( gone by the time I knew him), Hymek ( likewise ) and D68xx, so from his middle years all he ever drove was 37s and the occasional 08.

I amassed a motley collection of (mostly) blue diesels including:

4 class 47

3 class 37

2 class 117

2 class 50

2 class 55

2 HST power cars

And 1 each of another 10 classes.

Then I changed to Irish prototypes once rtr versions became available.

5 class 141/181

3 class 071

1 class 201

1 Woolwich

1 NCC Jinty

Blue diesels now in storage and little used. Must get them onto EBay to fund some more Irish stock.

• RMweb Premium

A4s. Seven of them. Silver, 2 in garter blue, apple green, black, BR blue and Brunswick green. I could (and do) watch Eastern Region pacific's   go round for hours especially the apple green "Golden Eagle".

• RMweb Premium

23 Bulleid light pacifics (no rebuilds) 19 N Class and 6 M7s.

SWMBO thinks there are a lot less. :onthequiet:

Seems a lot? Well they pale into insignificance compared to the 107 Kitmaster Mk 1s for them to haul  (don't even go there). :nono:

Are the 23 Bulleid's also Kitmaster? :scratchhead: 

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Surprisingly, for me , HSTs . An original Hornby one,repainted by me in the 80s into executive livery. Another original BR Blue one when I decided I really liked the blue grey era after all. A Lima "swift " one, a Hornby Virgin one and finally the newer Hornby Blue Version, bought when it first came out. Superb model, but the Lima one is still my favourite!

Next up would be 37s with a Lima large Logo and 3 Bachmann ones EWS , BR Blue and Green

Surprising as I'm primarily a steam man! The most of any type there is 3 Hornby Black 5s . 1 tender driven and 2 newer versions

G'day Gents

I have 5 N2's, two Dublo, two Hornby, one Airfix, plus one Hornby N2 converted to a N1, and an older Airfix being converted to a G1, never could resist a bargain.

A1/3's come second, three runners plus anther 3/4 in bits waiting to be revived.

manna

Just wondering if anyone has more models of a class than there were real locos? For example, there were 22 deltics, so has anyone got 23 deltics?

Don't ask why but I have around 50ish Triang/Triang Hornby Princess Royal class and probably about 20/25 of the later Hornby ones.  

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was actually expecting it to be my Class 40s (x6) but the honours of most owned are shared by my 25s & 47's (x7 of each). :eek:

Oh dear, another BR Blue Class 40 appears to have joined the collection, that's a three way tie for first place now!

Will it be the last? I doubt it :D

3 x Class 25 diesels followed by 2 x steam Halls which could be considered to be 5 if I add in Manors and Granges because they all look the same in N gauge!! Or even at full size - someone once explained the subtle differences to me - something to do with minor differences in parts used by the GWR Frankenstein factory.

Perhaps in 10 years time the DCC chips will monitor the actual usage in terms of amp hours and the controller will wifi a report.  Nil might feature a lot.

The problem is actually scrapping anything.  I have 6 Rebuilt Scots.  4 are Airfix and really.......  The unrebuilt Jubilee count is at least justified by the fact there are 4 tenders to model.  

4 CO-BOs is excessive given none are Heljan.  Perhaps a 5th to come.

The most common though is the Triang Nellie.  I have lost count.  Honest.  I think its 7 but 6 have been rebuilt as outside cylinder DCC rewheeled 0-4-0s and there are 5 spare bodies.  There is also a departmental chip test chassis. 

I have 4 Triang / Hornby Halls, all repainted with Hornby Dublo Castle wheels and shortened smokeboxes and front ends etc,  and another under construction which work on a layout with 3 more Triang Hornby Halls and a Bachmann Hall.   Also several locos with the Triang Hall chassis rewheeled, Manor Grange County, 43XX 51XX 81XX and visually similar 7 H/D Wrenn Castles, 2 Hornby Counties 2 Mainline Manors and 2 X 43XX with Powered Tender.

Tryng to work out which of that lot is which in the dingy darkness of the hidden sidings under the terminus is one powerful reason why I am not going DCC  

I've usually made a point of collecting different classes to run on the layout.  As my (00 scale) layout is best operated with two locomotives, it seems reasonable that they might be different classes.  Having said that, being a Western themed layout, I have managed to collect a few different pannier tanks, and will collect a few more if I see any suitable ones for sale.  Was it Cyril Freezer who said "When in doubt, add a pannier"?

If the question were "How many different classes do you own?", the answer would be the same as the number of locomotives.

If I include my Hornby Dublo locomotives, then I have four identical A4 Silver Kings, two identical Golden Fleeces and two Sir Nigel Gresleys, as well as a Mallard. Add to these the three modern Hornby and Bachmann versions. Still not enough! I would like a modern standards Silver King though in early crest BR green, just for rekindling memories of my first Silver King arriving courtesy of Santa one Christmas in the 1980s.

• RMweb Gold

On my DCC 00 gauge layout Crewlisle based on the WCML between 1955 to mid eighties, I have a number of duplicates.  Among my 50 locos I have two Black Fives ( well there were 849 of them!), three Jubilees for different reasons, two Class 50s (Original as Hornby D421 & Hornby 50013 named & renumbered) & two Bachmann Class 25s.  My first Jubilee was the Mainline 45691 Orion (the first 4mm proprietary ready to run model).  The other two were bought as wedding anniversary presents by my wife - 45552 Silver Jubilee for our Silver Anniversary & 45610 Gold Coast for our Golden Anniversary which was renamed & numbered by The Model Centre (first class service & excellent workmanship; highly recommended).

The odd one out is ex-LNER 60529 Pearl Diver which my wife bought for our Pearl Wedding Anniversary.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Does your Mainline Jubilee still run OK?

Rgds.....Mike

• RMweb Premium

2 x steam Halls which could be considered to be 5 if I add in Manors and Granges because they all look the same in N gauge!! 

Telling the difference between a 57xx and 64xx is similarly challenging, especially when you glance at a moving one. On the Halls, Manors and Granges I get to a combined total of 9.

OMG. I hoped this topic had died a natural but timely death. It makes no difference to anyone how many Triangle Nellies you have!!!

Er only one runner, Blue circa 1965.  Several dead ones have donated parts.    It does seem this topic has evolved.  There may not be much point in owning multiple examples of the same class if you operate a shunting plank, but for a realistic steam era layout capable of having many locos on shed for example then several locos of the same type makes the scene come alive  Three Halls lined up at the coalng stage or waiting to depart looks a lot more like period photos than a WC an A4 and a Princess.

My outdoor line has 4 X class 37s a 26 and a 156.

I often wondered about doing the opposite and having several model of the same vehicle. An auto coach for instance, one with lots of passengers on the morning trip to the junction, and an almost empty one returning etc.   

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I also intend to model the North & West Route in the 1950s - a railway and era which has brought very much 'alive' for me by the outstanding series of books by Mr John Hodge (no connection to author or publisher other than being a very satisfied customer!).

To that end I have amassed a collection of locos to operate it even though the layout is nowhere near even having begun!

The "litany of shame" is as follows:-

Hornby Castle x 7

Hornby 2800/3800 x 7

Bachmann Hall/Modified Hall x 8

Bachmann 5700/8750 x 4

Hornby Grange x 3

I consider the retooled Hornby Castle the best OO gauge ex-GWR model ever produced - especially the "Sander Kan" ones which have a superior paint finish.

On top of that are sundry ex-LMS/ex-LNWR/BR Standard/War Department/ROD types but they are only one-offs.

Fortunately SWMBO is very understanding and I don't have any OTHER outrageously expensive hobbies....... :blush:

Archived