Warrington Bank Quay - The Northern Approach - OO DCC

Wild Boar Fell

So in a completely unplanned move I have made a start on some of the scenic work tonight. 

This has consisted of building up the Station Car Park and the Dunelm Mill/ Network Rail access road. The cark park is using 5mm Balsa as a base to give it some relief above the baseboard as the real car park sits slightly above the ground level on the railway side (see below). Once this is dry it will probably be glad with styrene or wet & dry before being painted and marked. I will probably use filler or similar to build up the small edge to it, but I think it may be wise to do this when adding the fencing allowing it to be 'set in'.

The access road is a slightly different story, whilst it is still balsa the road ramps up to approximately 6-7ft above the surrounding area so timber and balsa blocks have been added along its length to create a suitable grade. Again this will eventually be clad and a bank built up to it. In this case I am more inclined (no pun intended) to use expanded polystyrene and sculpt it.

Why balsa you may ask? 

I find balsa a very easy material to work with, a lot of the structures on my previous layout (Wild Boar Fell) used a balsa core. Just as important in this case is it is very light too. Oh, and I had a surplus of it kicking about... that's probably it.

post-13109-0-49840400-1483478168_thumb.jpg

The Dunelm access road, the wood is higher than it appears in the photo.

post-13109-0-19299600-1483478185_thumb.jpg

The real thing.

post-13109-0-25309800-1483478175_thumb.jpg

The car park can just be seen in the distance.

post-13109-0-98334300-1483478194_thumb.jpg

Proof the car park is actually raised up.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

A little bit more progress, finally part of the layout is no longer in its raw state!

Following the laying of balsa to form the car park the other night, this has now been clad with plasticard and kerb stones added with styrene section. 

This has now been covered with a first coat of Railmatch 'Worn Tarmac', to me this looks too dark. This will now be rubbed down before the next coat is added and the individual kerb stones are scored. Quite looking forward to reproducing all the road markings.

post-13109-0-68330200-1483905455_thumb.jpg

Edit: Just ordered some more interesting bits to play with too.

Wild Boar Fell 

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 8

The name's Bond...

English Bond...

So the first set of this week's goodies has arrived. A selection of Slater's Plasticard Sheets.

I have previously explained on here that Bank Quay's trackwork is fitted with a mix of sleeper types, in an update planned to be written soon I hope to detail a little about the construction of the platforms and structures. The platform walls alone feature a range of different brick and blockwork styles and sizes, all of which I wish to portray to some extent on the model.

However today I will start off with just one, English Bond.

Most of the pre 2011/12/13 rebuild platforms were faced with English Bond brickwork with three tiers of corbelling. 

At this point I must add that I have for the past two years or so followed with interest the blogs of the GWSR in their efforts to rebuild Cheltenham Racecourse Platform 2 and Broadway Station, so I have been itching to try my hand at copying this in 4mm.  

For my first test piece, I have used the section immediately adjacent to the blockwork as a guide. The corbelling here is 3 tall, then 2, then 1.

For most of the rest of the platform it appears to be 5,4,3 (as above, simple).  

post-13109-0-22260400-1484163353_thumb.jpg

I wanted to make sure the visible corbelling was all made of headers rather than a mix of headers and stretchers (as this is what the photo shows). Each layer was the glued to the previous, until this was achieved. Now how many feet left to go?

post-13109-0-95356900-1484163361_thumb.jpg

All in all....

Hat, coat, gone!

• Like 6

So waiting for me when I got home was my next set of interesting parts.

This time it is the Peco LC-100 OO Gauge Catenary system. 

I was interested to see what this kit was like as a few of the magazines have made some nice scenic planks with this system. A check through my photos of Bank Quay showed at least 3 masts that were very similar to those in the kit and a further few that could probably be kitbashed from it. I will state at this point I am a complete novice when it comes to catenary so my aim with this is to use the modifications as a stepping stone to building the remaining bespoke masts and spans(?). The kit also gives me a good idea of how much space to leave for the bases of the masts so ballasting masks can be put in place. 

So far the 3 most basic masts have been added, all of these need minor modifications to the top of the posts for an extra insulator and wire (see below).

post-13109-0-88790600-1484255056_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-71392700-1484255075_thumb.jpg

Nearest mast.

post-13109-0-62639500-1484255066_thumb.jpg

The mast left of shot.

More travelling today has seen me finally tick off another famous station off the list, this time King's Cross for a ride on a 'Happy Train'. Whilst not quite as stunning as St Pancras, I must say it is indeed very impressive. Couldn't find 9 3/4 though.

post-13109-0-43071500-1484255047_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 6

The last two days have seen the platform edging progress rapidly.

Around 21ft of corbelled edging has been cut and assembled. As a result I have run out of material to complete the remaining 4 foot or so for part of Platform 4. Each foot long section requires 28 courses of bricks;

14 for the main wall;

5 for the deepest layer

4 for the middle layer

3 for the shallowest layer

2 1 brick high strips removed to provide the 'headers' on the 3 and 5 high layers.

post-13109-0-42798100-1484422230_thumb.jpg

The two nine brick high strips are to be used where the platforms are sitting on the bridges.

Each layer was slightly offset to provide strength at the joins as each platform has now been made into a 'strip', the longest of which is approximately 8ft.

I am considering the idea of painting, weathering and detailing these off the layout so they are 'ready to plant'.

I now need to order some 7mm brickwork to represent the blockwork on the rebuilt sections of platform.

It does appear however that I have built the platforms better than the real thing, look how much the highlighted sections below sag or run out (I did consider modelling it like this, but ironically it just appears to unrealistic).

post-13109-0-35125700-1484422241_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 4

Just a photo to go with yesterdays update to show the brick facings to platform 1-3 temporarily in place.

Theses now need trimming to length and painting, detailing and weathering.

Another 2m of cable trunking has also been scored and temporarily positioned adjacent to the fast lines.

post-13109-0-75265600-1484511455_thumb.jpg

Next up will be the blockwork sections of the platforms along with repairing the platform formers.

Quick question, but are the hollowed out squares in front of the platform in the last photo of the above post, steps? Trying to work out what is the best way to model these.

Edit 21:28, Couldn't resist a nod to 'The Mersey Weaver II' that ran this weekend.

post-13109-0-50207200-1484515683_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 5

And now for something a little different...

About 2 years ago I got myself one of the Silhouette Portrait Plotter/Cutters that have been used to great effect elsewhere on this site (Most notably on Manchester Central, which is stunning). Anyway, I had never actually got around to using yet. That was until earlier this week. I have only trialled a few files and not looked at any of the guides yet so the setup is probably far from perfect, but I have been pretty happy with the results.

The first test was the section of paving shown on the 1st page of this blog, it even picked out the tactile surface dots!

My next test is the north-most building between platforms 1&2,  again this has worked surprisingly well. I will need to have another go with some thicker styrene, but here's a photo of the test shot.

post-13109-0-74640700-1484777390_thumb.jpg

Painted with watercolours (needs a 2nd coat).

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 5

The brickwork done by the cutter looks cracking. I'm edging more and more towards getting one of these!!

I  previously designed model kits for laser cutting, but in my opinion even they can't match the crispness of the plotter/cutter. 

So glad I don't have to hand scribe those bricks, just wait until you get to an archway... miles easier.

What I will say however is, just like a 3D printer and laser cutter, they are (relatively) slow and noisy.

Because of that, I will probably use the plotter for the buildings, but due to their size, get the platform tops professionally laser cut.

Wild Boar Fell

• 3 weeks later...

Once again the layout is currently packed away with no work progressing. This hasn't stopped me thinking about its future however, but this has left me with a problem.

My original intention had been to model the station in the post 2011 era, after the platforms were remodelled to accept the 11-Car Pendolinos. The trouble is, tracking down full pendolinos is not easy or cheap and they are about to receive a repaint too. The 319s, 325s & 175s amongst others aren't available in RTR or even kit for for the latter two. Even the Northern Rail units that are available are tricky to track down and the real vehicles are slowly getting the new Arriva Rail North livery. Even the 66s are now going through the paint shops fairly rapidly.

Modelling the previous alignment of the platforms would allow me to model the 2006-2011 era. This better matches my stock and allows a bit more variation on the loco front. You could even just about get away with one of the Cotswold Rail HST sets. It would however rule out the 11-Car Pendolino, WAG Express & Class 68s.

During 2006 the crossover between the fastlines was removed (see page 1). Setting the layout a few years either side of the millennium would allow me to run 47s, 86s, 87s, 90s, HST, Voyagers, Pendolinos and DVTs amongst others. I could run loco-hauled MK3 rakes (those Oxford ones look far too tempting)& MK2 rakes in both Virgin and Intercity Swallow (One of my all time favourite liveries). The other thing is, I can't think of any layouts set around this time on the exhibition circuit.

https://flic.kr/p/HgbPwf

The Pre-06 option is now looking incredibly tempting, but the only thing stopping me is that cross-over. It would be over the board joint between North & North Mid boards!

The question is, do I forget the cross and go for it anyway (giving me 90s-2011)?

I would really appreciate other modellers views on this.

Wild Boar Fell 

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 4

If the early era make it easier to obtain the appropriate rolling stock I'd say go for it and regarding the crossover how operationally essential is it from a model perspective could you not just model it without it and run the earlier era as long as it doesn't pose too many problems

David

• RMweb Gold

The Pre-06 option is now looking incredibly tempting, but the only thing stopping me is that cross-over. It would be over the board joint between North & North Mid boards!

Does the Xover have to work? i.e. Could you put in the points but fix them for straight through running (agreed, less easy if it is the switch rail that needs cutting, but not impossible).

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

The question is, do I forget the cross and go for it anyway (giving me 90s-2011)?

If the board joint is not within the switch rails and crossings (frogs) there's no reason why, with a metal cutting disk of good quality, you couldn't make a joint in the crossover.

I saw it used for moves to/from Dallam and for light engines returning to Arpley when they'd made a run for it and been called back !