Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

5000 Launceston Castle on a Plymouth - Paddington express.

attachicon.gifGrange & Castle March 17 011-min.JPG

As it approaches Stoke Courtenay it passes 6801 Aylburton Grange, whose fireman appears to be taking a quick breather..

attachicon.gifGrange & Castle March 17 006-min.JPG

I'm quite pleased that I finally got round to detailing most of the current crop of locos - it does make a difference. 

Crews are once again from Modelu - lovely 3d prints.  But I must confess my painting didn't match their finesse, especially on the last few which were destined for the more enveloping Collett-style cabs.  By the time I'd painted a dozen and a half of the little b*ggers I was getting bored and wanted to move onto something else!

John C.

This really is a most beautiful layout!  It is exploiting modern RTR to the full and is a superb effort with masses of GWR atmosphere.  It really does make you think but I am far too far down the line with my own EM gauge project - and too long in the tooth - to think about starting again!  It must be wonderful to be able to take a loco or an item of stock out of the box and plonk it on the track and run it immediately without having to alter the gauge first.  The Castle in the latest photos just looks absolutely right!

Gerry

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the Teign Valley Chocolate quarry anywhere near the old John Harrison Treacle Mine?

A bit of fun was had one Easter although as you can see it wasn't an Eggspress !

But afraid Candy is a new one on me. 

Candy owned the pottery adjoining Heathfield station, served by the sharply curved siding seen in many photographs.  I could not tell you how authentic the PO wagon is or how long they lasted.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

A few more of Launceston Castle as it sweeps through Stoke Courtenay.

John C.

I love the close coupled coaches complete with hoses- could you give us a glimpse of the coupling arrangements?

Armchair loco spotting here, ANTB and Little Muddle is a full time occupation now! More please!

• RMweb Gold

I love the close coupled coaches complete with hoses- could you give us a glimpse of the coupling arrangements?

Armchair loco spotting here, ANTB and Little Muddle is a full time occupation now! More please!

Hi Limpley Stoker

See posts #137 and #148 on p.6 of this thread for details of the coupling arrangements and a couple of close-ups.  It's all very crude at close quarters I'm afraid - some rough & ready bending up of 0.8mm brass wire, but it looks ok from a distance!

John C.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Limpley Stoker

See posts #137 and #148 on p.6 of this thread for details of the coupling arrangements and a couple of close-ups.  It's all very crude at close quarters I'm afraid - some rough & ready bending up of 0.8mm brass wire, but it looks ok from a distance!

John C.

Thank you John, apologies for not keeping up at the back- must do better,

Mike

• RMweb Premium

John,

I have had the same issue, and ended up being half a tone out on the green inside the lining.

I then used an aerosol semi matt finish from Testors called "Dullcote" and that evened it all out.

Sadly Testors hasn't been available for a little while.  I have a substitute ordered product from a different manufacturer but as I have not used it yet, I can't comment on it's coverage and finish qualities, let alone Testor's Dullcote ability to "even out" a shade or two.

Perhaps a light airbrush weathering of a light mix of Humbrol 112 and Humbrol 62 will hide it.

Hi

John,

I have had the same issue, and ended up being half a tone out on the green inside the lining.

I then used an aerosol semi matt finish from Testors called "Dullcote" and that evened it all out.

Sadly Testors hasn't been available for a little while.  I have a substitute ordered product from a different manufacturer but as I have not used it yet, I can't comment on it's coverage and finish qualities, let alone Testor's Dullcote ability to "even out" a shade or two.

Perhaps a light airbrush weathering of a light mix of Humbrol 112 and Humbrol 62 will hide it.

Hi.

I use games workshop aerosol matt varnish, Not a flat matt but gives a nice finish every time and has covered many of my blunders over the years.

You do get a slight silk finish which on a loco is fine by me and gives a good base for powders to hold to.

Craig.

Are you aware Testors Dullcote is back and available again?

​Just looked an Anticsonline and they are selling it again plus many wargammers shops seem to stock it as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks 81C.  Yes, those brown vehicles don't look too bad from a distance!

I have a Teign Valley Granite wagon, but a whole bunch of them looks great.  I'd love to see pics of them after weathering.  I've also seen the Stoneycombe wagon and vaguely wondered whether to buy.  Think I'll now will look out for it.  But afraid Candy is a new one on me. 

As to the stone colour wouldn't the granite tors of Dartmoor suggest the right shade?  (Though I suppose newly cut stone could look different.)

John C.

Another wagon to add to the list Hornby's Scatter Rock Macadam I found 9 of them I forgot I had, I'm preparing a stock list now I've started to forget what I own. :mail:  

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Premium

When I "re-started" in 2009 after a 20+ year layoff, I immediately made a stock and engine list, and have kept it up to date meticulously.,

It has helped no end when I have had a cull ( ie beige fuel tankers in the late 1940s, or 2 wheel milks in the 1940s.....), or when I have seen a wagon that catches my eye, only to quickly see that I don't need to buy a second one etc.

I advise anyone to make up a stock list.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I "re-started" in 2009 after a 20+ year layoff, I immediately made a stock and engine list, and have kept it up to date meticulously.,

It has helped no end when I have had a cull ( ie beige fuel tankers in the late 1940s, or 6 wheel milks in the 1940s.....), or when I have seen a wagon that catches my eye, only to quickly see that I don't need to buy a second one etc.

I advise anyone to make up a stock list.

I had an up to date stock list until window 10 lost it and other stuff those wagons aren't the only bits of stock that have pitched up so far in the past year a brand new Grange, Pannier 45xx, 4 Collett coaches I'm sure there are others I will find once the list is complete like a limited edition wagon I bought a month ago to find I'd already got one,** I started bidding on one last week today I found one in the tray yesterday** so all purchases have now been halted I can't believe I bought so much in the past five years.

Sorry to go off topic Kevin 

(**Lucky some wanted to pay more money than I did**)

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

I've 3 packets of this fencing to fix not a job I enjoy as I have done some before, a chum gave me some copper wire for rewinding armatures it's a nice dark colour so that should at least improve the

appearance I will also melt it into the posts placed in a small jig to get even gaps. 

• 1 month later...

Hi John

Fantastic layout. really interesting to follow the progress of.

In your post 230 you show the Markits steam heat pipes. Can you explain how you fitted these? did you drill a hole through the buffer beam or connect the pipe under the beam?

Thanks

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

In your post 230 you show the Markits steam heat pipes. Can you explain how you fitted these? did you drill a hole through the buffer beam or connect the pipe under the beam?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for kind comments.  The Bachmann 45xx tanks (current ones anyway) actually have a hole in the front buffer beam for the steam heat pipe, and IIRC a plastic pipe is supplied, so it was just a case of gluing the two halves of the neat little Markits item together and then gluing into the hole.  There wasn't such a hole in the rear buffer beam so I drilled one. ( It's best not to have too much poking out at the rear of the buffer beams lest it gets in the way of loco body removal.)

John.

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 1