Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Greetings Jock mate....

Am itching to get the track down on those base boards, just don't seem to be able to find the time especially now I'm behind with work!

When I have caught up there has been a change of plan involving the garage doors.Mrs. S. suggested I make new ones which fold outwards. (She's rather clever, my wife. I always run things by her because she is full of bright ideas). 

My original idea was to remove them completely and replace with stud wall with insulation, drywall and siding but this would increase our yearly property taxes so that's a no no. 

We have a real spider problem. There was a black widow building a nest in there the other day again. So it's kind of priority before I go building things in there permanently.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With a few hours spare last night I decided to build a brake van kit.

This is the Parkside midland one. Hardly ever one to build things as the instructions imply I always try to find what else can be made from the parts in the box.

I'll not bore you with the general build just the "thinking outside the box" stuff!

Some of these vans received diagonal bracing while under British Railways ownership (as per the O gauge kit) so this was chosen for the model.

This was made up from 10thou plastic strip and the bolt heads represented by punching holes in the strips.

post-8964-0-59019200-1414854550_thumb.jpg

All the molded lamp irons have been chiseled off with a fresh chisel bit in the craft knife. (I actually have 4 of these type knives, one of which always has a chisel bit in it).

The holes were drilled for the grab rails, lamp irons & door handles.

post-8964-0-40025900-1414854534_thumb.jpg

Then for something different one of the doors has been cut out and glued in the open position.

post-8964-0-05497300-1414854567_thumb.jpg

More later

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Here's the other Parkside version (PC49). Bog standard kit, came out ok.

post-8964-0-02099700-1414864793_thumb.jpg

This one's my favorite, should be available from Slaters/Coopercraft.

post-8964-0-67526000-1414864893_thumb.jpg

The cheapest way to build stock is put Dapol bodies on under frame kits, like these two.

You'll need wheels, top hat bearings and couplings and mounts. cost about 20 quid to build 5!

Dapol gunpowder body on detailed Cambrian 9' RCH chassis.

post-8964-0-96226000-1414865152_thumb.jpg

And their BR body on Parkside under frame. The Red Panda under frame would suit this one too! I will make this version one day myself. 

post-8964-0-83690700-1414865167_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Am happy you enjoyed my gallery guys!

So I have neglected all my chores, which isn't unusual for a Sunday morning and got on with the awful task of fitting all the staples/ Grab rails and lamp irons.post-8964-0-03141500-1414966271_thumb.jpg

Some mention has to be made about the challenging nature of this kit in particularly the foot board assembly.

What I did here was to separate the hangers from the main sprure first, cut away the center two feed gates to the lower foot board, remove and attach the hangers one at a time and check for alignment with the mini ruler before eyeing them for uniformity. 

post-8964-0-86919300-1414966254_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-44799200-1414966239_thumb.jpg

All the staples took ages and the carpet monster must have a stomach ache after gobbling up at least 7.

Now ready for the spray booth!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Yes! Foot is healing up nicely thanks.

More madness ensued today in the way of brake van detailing!  Well it all started with the open door and something a certain young man in Cornwall said about having the guard outside.

These type of vans quite often got shunted into sidings to allow faster traffic to pass leaving the guard with spare time......... to make tea!

post-8964-0-71345100-1415609143_thumb.jpg

The portly guard in question comes from the old Airfix civilians set. I trimmed away most of the brim of his hat leaving him with a cap and added a mug of tea from plastic rod.

post-8964-0-39214900-1415609132_thumb.jpg

The vans stove is also from bits of tube and rod, the kettle is snippets of plastic and the hand wheel is Cambrian.

post-8964-0-19497300-1415609090_thumb.jpg

BB gun pellets have been glued in the long bench to give much needed weight.

post-8964-0-66556000-1415609105_thumb.jpg

At first I stuck the chap on the right but realized he was obscuring the view of the interior so moved the blighter over.

Roof will be fixed with Hob-E-Tac so that the inside can be admired whenever the desire takes me. 

post-8964-0-45403800-1415609120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This evening my attention has turned to the station masters house at Queensbury.
It, along with the arched plate bridge are the only remnants of the railway left there.
The only good view of it is here . It appears to be a very grubby looking cement rendered "L" shaped house. My guess is that the window stile matched that of the station and would be green also.

Measurements where taken on Google earth 38' X 30'.  

I started by plotting the measurements on white foam board, then marked out the windows & doors. I scribed two courses of stonework along the bottom edge and scribed cills and lintels.  

post-8964-0-78658000-1415611607_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-30473900-1415611619_thumb.jpg

A picture of the house today from Google Earth street view.

post-8964-0-37907900-1415611631.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Love the detail on the Brake van mate, the kettle looks spot on.

I see you've caught Stationmaster-house-itis, although you appear to be doing it properly, and not cheating like some of us :)

Thanks Al mate!

There I was all ready to use the Skaledale building until I read your thread so was left with no choice. :drag:

Only kidding of course. I will copy the weeds around the foundation though that looks great , you can't beat adding life to make things look right.

• Like 2

Love the detail on the Brake van mate, the kettle looks spot on.

I see you've caught Stationmaster-house-itis, although you appear to be doing it properly, and not cheating like some of us :)

Thanks Al mate!

There I was all ready to use the Skaledale building until I read your thread so was left with no choice. :drag:

Only kidding of course. I will copy the weeds around the foundation though that looks great , you can't beat adding life to make things look right.

It is SO good to see all the little ideas coming out, and being modelled....brings back memories......don't forget that pig bin ROFL.....

And Al ....updating..improving a ready to plonk is not cheating .......it's showing others how to improve the basics......people do it with locos etc all the time......... :butcher:

Morning Shaun,

That brake van took me right back to the fifties - when my father had done an express turn as a driver, it didn't take up that many hours. Typical would be Carlisle to Glasgow which left plenty oh time to fit in another working. My favourite footplate rides were when he took a long rake of empty minerals up into the Ayrshire coalfields - the NCB lads took over the filling duties and often he'd sit with the guards van in a siding and we'd join the guard by the pot bellied stove for tea and a bacon buttie! Welsh steam coal could get the stove up to 'glowing' temperature and the clever way of toasting bread was to simply stick the slices on the side of the stove (like the way the telly chefs do chapatis or naans!). I also remember the tea being made on the firemans shovel - the favourite vessel for this being a 'Gales' syrup tin wit a loop of wire as a handle, a few seconds in the firebox and it was infused. Must have been a skilled job on an express loco at speed? My thanks once again for bringing those wonderful memories to mind mate! Still find it hard to believe the method of getting the train back (mostly downhill) to Hurlford mineral sidings. The driver and guard would 'guess' the number of wagon brakes that had to be locked down to control the speed of the unfitted train. Dad often recounted a time when they got it wrong and the weight pushed the train past the junction and nearly all the way to Kilmarnock! Disaster was avoided by the simple expedient of yelling to the signalman as they slid past Hurlford box and he cleared the line. A very embarrassing moment as they had to hi-jack a locomotive that was returning light engine to Hurlford shed to help get the train back to the mineral sidings! Often wonder how often that happened as most of the pits were at a higher elevation than the yards the coal was marshalled at such as those at Ayr (Waterside) and Hurlford (Barleith).

Another piece of excellent modelling based on what must have been lots of research - as Jaz suggests, the little details complete the scene!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock.

Just love the old stories, thanks for sharing your memories.  I think society has lost something you know. Now-a-days its all day glow vests, premade sandwiches in Tupperware and micro chip techo if a brake fails the whole railway comes to a stand still!

So a quick post of last nights efforts.

Parts were cut out with a new blade and scored at back where the miters go.

Mitering involves folding the joint back on itself to achieve squareness and sanding on my little bench sander with the table set at 45 degrees to the disc. 

post-8964-0-80259600-1415721094_thumb.jpg

beads of superglue are run down the joints and peco track pins hold it while the glue cures.

post-8964-0-43955400-1415721115_thumb.jpg

I dry fitted the windows before pasting Mod Podge around the openings. This does three things. 1 it fixes the windows and allows for plenty of adjustment. 2. it seals the foam edges and 3. with a slight wiggle will close the any gaps as this draws the glue across.

post-8964-0-69098200-1415721228.jpgpost-8964-0-57848100-1415721238.jpg

post-8964-0-58404900-1415721129_thumb.jpg

then a coat of paint.

post-8964-0-02758800-1415721145_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-07643400-1415721157_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Jock.

Just love the old stories, thanks for sharing your memories.  I think society has lost something you know. Now-a-days its all day glow vests, premade sandwiches in Tupperware and micro chip techo if a brake fails the whole railway comes to a stand still!

Mitering involves folding the joint back on itself to achieve squareness and sanding on my little bench sander with the table set at 45 degrees to the disc. 

attachicon.gifDSCF4962.JPG

beads of superglue are run down the joints and peco track pins hold it while the glue cures.

attachicon.gifDSCF4963.JPG

I dry fitted the windows before pasting Mod Podge around the openings. This does three things. 1 it fixes the windows and allows for plenty of adjustment. 2. it seals the foam edges and 3. with a slight wiggle will close the any gaps as this draws the glue across.

attachicon.gifDSCF4964.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF4965.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4966.JPG

then a coat of paint.

attachicon.gifDSCF4967.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4968.JPG

WOW that is coming together FAST........

and plenty of sills and lintels.......

Hi Jock.

attachicon.gifDSCF4962.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4963.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4964.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF4965.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4966.JPG

then a coat of paint.

attachicon.gifDSCF4967.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4968.JPG

Evening Shaun

Nice piece of work there.

I knew there was a good use for track pins but didn't realise what it was until now.

Didn't do much last night then :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andrew.

Those are great thank you.

The bare stone end wall was a surprise. I had guessed the chimney was brick or stone and was right about the fact there are no windows in it.

This wall on my model has been painted so I will do a test to see if scribing will work through the paint if not will over lay it with stone embossed plastic sheet.

I'm not bothering with the back wall as it wont bee seen!

Now I wonder how old that shed is?

Regards Shaun