Minerva GWR Pannier Tank - open for advanced orders

81A Oldoak

My 8750 in GWR green + lettering has just arrived. Looks like another cracking model from Minerva. I've not had chance to test it yet but I'm sure it'll run perfectly.

I must also however be the fastest person to damage a model as I've knocked one of the bunker hangers off into the unknowns of my desk. I'm going to say it's 'heavy weathering'. (Or if I can get a spare that'd be great...)

Congrats again to all at Minerva and I look forward to future announcements.

Martin

Martin,

No promises, but we be may be able to find a spare on of the first prototypes. Bear with us as we're rather busy at the moment.

Regards,

Chris K

Hi All,

Attaching name/number plates can be done with self-adhesive double-sided tape, I have used this method on live steam locos to good effect - it's far less fraught when fitting and can, if careful, be removed.

I have still haven't had the time to test (play) with my Pannier, but Im getting ready to order the name plates, does anyone know who can I order the smoke box numerals from (I also have a 14xx and a Hall to do at sometime), Fox et al?

ATVB

CME

Hi All,

Attaching name/number plates can be done with self-adhesive double-sided tape, I have used this method on live steam locos to good effect - it's far less fraught when fitting and can, if careful, be removed.

I have still haven't had the time to test (play) with my Pannier, but Im getting ready to order the name plates, does anyone know who can I order the smoke box numerals from (I also have a 14xx and a Hall to do at sometime), Fox et al?

ATVB

CME

You can order a complete set of cabside and BR smokebox numberplates and BR shedcode plates from Narrow Planet. A full set will cost £3.75 if you quote the unique Minerva discount code in your instruction leaflet. Here is a link to Narrow Planet that shows what you get: https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/number-plate-styles/products/npp-417

You can order a complete set of cabside and BR smokebox numberplates and BR shedcode plates from Narrow Planet. A full set will cost £3.75 if you quote the unique Minerva discount code in your instruction leaflet. Here is a link to Narrow Planet that shows what you get: https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/number-plate-styles/products/npp-417

Thanks Chris, glad it's a package deal, I will do some research over the weekend...

Ask Chaz...

OY!  They don't offend me, I just don't like 'em.   (But the Minerva one is an excellent model!)

I'm not even offended by the frequent suggestion, implicit or explicit, that the GWR is the only railway worth modelling. That idea amuses me immensely....

Now add an ampersand and an "S" - G&SWR - that's a neglected railway with some beautiful locomotives - just look in the GoG Gazette Vol. 20 No 4. 

Chaz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw Chris today at Telford surrounded by Panniers and a GWR wagon that apparently looks nothing like an Iron Mink. Really looking forward to getting my DCC sound version later in the year.

Let's hope it at least sounds like a mink then!

A brief foray into Googleland suggests, "rail-like squeaks", screams, chuckling, and a noise like "yik" which may be repeated.

Sorry, coat, hat...

Can anyone explain why the photo that appeared to me to look like a mink, doesn't look like a mink?

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

A brief foray into Googleland suggests, "rail-like squeaks", screams, chuckling, and a noise like "yik" which may be repeated.

Sorry, coat, hat...

Can anyone explain why the photo that appeared to me to look like a mink, doesn't look like a mink?

Best

Simon

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125854-minerva-announce-o-gauge-iron-mink-van/

Ah, I see.

So what does one do? Damned either way, potentially.

It seems to me that if there are "observations" which can potentially be incorporated into the final model, it's absolutely necessary to make them known (vide Hattons A3 etc thread) so that the manufacturer's investment can be spent in making a model that is as good as possible (given available data, technology, investment capital) and thus reaching the widest possible market - but it also seems that such observations risk becoming a case of Dapol where there was much gnashing of teeth and some very intemperate comments when Adrian criticised their milk tankers.

I am certain we'd all like Minerva to be successful, and given that the options for a mink are limited (Scorpio only, I think, though ABS did do them too - not sure if still available) it would be brilliant if Miss P's observations could be used to improve a model which could find its way onto a large number of layouts. Fingers crossed.

Best

Simon

Ah, I see.

So what does one do? Damned either way, potentially.

It seems to me that if there are "observations" which can potentially be incorporated into the final model, it's absolutely necessary to make them known (vide Hattons A3 etc thread) so that the manufacturer's investment can be spent in making a model that is as good as possible (given available data, technology, investment capital) and thus reaching the widest possible market - but it also seems that such observations risk becoming a case of Dapol where there was much gnashing of teeth and some very intemperate comments when Adrian criticised their milk tankers.

I am certain we'd all like Minerva to be successful, and given that the options for a mink are limited (Scorpio only, I think, though ABS did do them too - not sure if still available) it would be brilliant if Miss P's observations could be used to improve a model which could find its way onto a large number of layouts. Fingers crossed.

Best

Simon

Must admit I wondered if Adrian was back.. ;)

Saw Chris today at Telford surrounded by Panniers and a GWR wagon that apparently looks nothing like an Iron Mink. Really looking forward to getting my DCC sound version later in the year.

WOT NO NEW LOCO (in the pipeline)?

Must admit I wondered if Adrian was back.. ;)

Hi Jordan,

Tbf, if Adrian Swain hadnt contributed to certain Threads, re 7mm locos (NOT Minerva products I hasten to add), at least two locos wouldnt have been as good as they are/were at the point of release (they still have errors, but not insurmountable ones), I happen to know, from others, that to be true (due to the interconnected nature of THE Guild and other such esoteric groups of initiates, remember at Garden rly meets many manufacturers gather on an informal basis so as to play trains, share knowledge and brotherly love). Adrian, iirc, was a time served RR apprentice/craftsman, his first wagon kits and castings kicked started the drive for better models in 4mm, many years back, selling out of London model shops-ergo such, ultimately, started to make the key RTR manufacturers think on detail and quality. Adrian Swain, with one or two others, 'raised the bar', much of which coincided with Pendon et al.

It has to be remembered, that Adrian Swain, now in semi-retirement and feeling his age a bit, is also a customer and buys RTR, wanting decent models for all, as was his ethos, when he started to manufacture model kits all those years ago.

The usual caveats apply, in that Im merely a satisfied customer.

If I were a manufacturer and someone knew estoteric information about a product I was to produce, before I comitted to tooling, and as long as such was practicably possible, Id want to know such info and incorporate it into my model before it was too late.

Kindest,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"Wot no new loco"

Well... I may have accidentally expressed interest and put my name down for a T9, narrow cab, watercart tender at the Finney7 stand. Lesson learned in 7mm is that you have to get things when they are available or miss out.

"Wot no be loco"

Well... I may have accidentally expressed interest and put my name down for a T9, narrow cab, watercart tender at the Finney7 stand. Lesson learned in 7mm is that you have to get things when they are available or miss out.

Hi,

I was only saying that yesterday, relative to budget/cost of living, if one doesnt get it now, then it might not be there in future. I hope Im wrong but I believe we are at the zenith of 7mm models (kits and RTR), they might not be about in 5-10 yrs??

ATVB

CME

PS Then there is the issue of batch supply and ordering....

WOT NO NEW LOCO (in the pipeline)?

Hi Jordan,

Tbf, if Adrian Swain hadnt contributed to certain Threads, re 7mm locos (NOT Minerva products I hasten to add), at least two locos wouldnt have been as good as they are/were at the point of release (they still have errors, but not insurmountable ones), I happen to know, from others, that to be true (due to the interconnected nature of THE Guild and other such esoteric groups of initiates, remember at Garden rly meets many manufacturers gather on an informal basis so as to play trains, share knowledge and brotherly love). Adrian, iirc, was a time served RR apprentice/craftsman, his first wagon kits and castings kicked started the drive for better models in 4mm, many years back, selling out of London model shops-ergo such, ultimately, started to make the key RTR manufacturers think on detail and quality. Adrian Swain, with one or two others, 'raised the bar', much of which coincided with Pendon et al.

It has to be remembered, that Adrian Swain, now in semi-retirement and feeling his age a bit, is also a customer and buys RTR, wanting decent models for all, as was his ethos, when he started to manufacture model kits all those years ago.

The usual caveats apply, in that Im merely a satisfied customer.

If I were a manufacturer and someone knew estoteric information about a product I was to produce, before I comitted to tooling, and as long as such was practicably possible, Id want to know such info and incorporate it into my model before it was too late.

Kindest,

CME.

CME, I can't agree more with your comment. Adrian was the biggest help to me in my early years of modelling, enabling me to improve the appearance and accuracy of most of the kits you could buy in the 70's. He is a very knowledgeable guy and is/was willing to share that knowledge with all.

Manufactures of RTR should seek out the assistance of his like, before starting to produce a model. Maybe then, we would get a far more accurate item as the end product 

In this day and age, the average railway modeller wants far more accuracy and detail than was required 20 years ago. The information on correct prototypes is out there, so why not use it before cobbling together a RTR model that's not correct.

Sorry, hat and coat time I think.

Mike

• Agree 1

CME, I can't agree more with your comment. Adrian was the biggest help to me in my early years of modelling, enabling me to improve the appearance and accuracy of most of the kits you could buy in the 70's. He is a very knowledgeable guy and is/was willing to share that knowledge with all.

Manufactures of RTR should seek out the assistance of his like, before starting to produce a model. Maybe then, we would get a far more accurate item as the end product

In this day and age, the average railway modeller wants far more accuracy and detail than was required 20 years ago. The information on correct prototypes is out there, so why not use it before cobbling together a RTR model that's not correct.

Sorry, hat and coat time I think.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I agree, and thank you for the kind words.

Sadly, a fair few forget that we are a fraternity and some cannot tell the difference between critique and criticism-thus those types have driven away those who provide accurate and informed critiques (lets face it some magazine reviews are coloured, to an extent, by advertising revenue). Also, sadly, the likes of Adrian Swain-who declares his interests, business and otherwise-fall fowl of those who fail to declare theirs (ie interests or business relationships with larger manufacturers etc), ergo politics, money and the like come into play also.

Like you, I have found Adrian and other similar 'old skool' (sic) suppliers of his ilk, to be helpful, knowledgable and eager to share said knowledge, which helps me to create models to a good standard etc etc. Eg. wheras if scratch building I may make errors, in addition there arent enough hours in the day to reinvent the wheel....or the wagon/loco Ha ha.

I use a mix of RTR and kits. I am truly grateful and pleased that the likes of Minerva work so hard to create, good quality, accurate, VFM RTR models and keep costs reasonable by standardising where they can.

Tacit knowledge is being lost in the hobby, due to aging suppliers etc., and that tacit knowledge isnt being being nurtured or retained-for various reasons. Some mainstream magazines want sound bite articles and lack the substantial constructional articles of the past, all of which is also contributing to such, through a level of dumbing down and pandering to bigger business as a whole-this approach is now at epic proportions in the west, even govts. are driven by such. Loosing tacit knowledge will slow/bring to a halt any continuous improvement within the hobby and will hamper the young blood that many are saying we should be encouraging into the hobby. A hobby which is multifaceted, but one which basically looks to create, more often than not, our industrial past, accurately, in miniature. In addition the hobby WAS a creative one....now? An aquisitional one?? (maybe now heading towards an 80/20 split in favour of ready made vs kit/scratch built etc.).

I will park it there, so that we all stay on topic.....LOL!

Kind regards,

CME