Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

I'm not sure where one would buy 0 gauge models around North Wales. The model shops in Rhuddlan and Rhyl are handy for cork sheet, ballast and scenic scatter, but beyond that I am back on mail order. That said, the small businesses I have had dealings with by post/courier have all performed well in the turn around stakes.....far quicker than I was used to in 4mm. 

You're telling me is isn't finished yet ha ha. I'm not moving those pesky footboards.....It'll be simpler to do musical chairs with the battery boxes and dynamo. In fact I've just done it!

I want a GWR D121 corridor brake third, it's a must for the Cambrian mainline, but it appears no one does it in etched brass.

Hi Larry

CPL Products list etched sides for a D121 Bk 3rd in 7mm ref no 42045 - see http://www.cplproducts.net/temporary-catalogue.html - listed under the Bristolian.

Ian

Paul, thanks for the nod on the Porthmadog shop, I wont bother with a drive over there when I'm in Bala next week now. When on Holiday it's always nice to find a different Model Shop and see what they can offer. A few years back we were in South Devon and as well as the ritual to Peco I visited Buffers at Axminster, what a cracking little shop that is, brilliant staff and good stocks of new and second hand. I did find a couple of Shops in Llandudno a couple of years ago with some bits of Hornby but again I didn't get excited by it, the same for the one at Betws y Coed.

Coach, the Coach is STUNNING, and as for the Tanks and Steps, I didn't even notice.

I did find a couple of Shops in Llandudno a couple of years ago with some bits of Hornby but again I didn't get excited by it, the same for the one at Betws y Coed.

Coach, the Coach is STUNNING, and as for the Tanks and Steps, I didn't even notice.

Both in Llandudno are gone now, but the one in Betws-y-coed is Colin's, and he tends to be more G scale and 16mm, but the bloke is a diamond and quite the eccentric. He lives in his converted Pullman coach when he's up this way, although I do believe his wife has been rather poorley lately and he's not been there much.

Jinty ;)

Great turn around on that coach Larry, I will have a chat with Jinty and hopefully arrange a time when we can all meet up for a paned and a chin wag.

I like the Rhuddlan Model Shop it's great for all the sundry bits, still not bought any O gauge off him yet as he never seems to have anything that I need when I pop in, and it is nice to support the small "local" business, I put local in brackets as it is still some 50-60 miles or so from me.

Best regards

Craig.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link to CPL products. There is no indication of what a coach kit contains although I assume it is etched sides only from the price. The coach end fittings look a gem and I'll be using them. Friend Alan Brackenborough put me onto CPL when they first started up and I used some of their GWR transfers.

GWR D127 sides lined out and lettered. Next job is black roof, ends and underframe, then weathering (click for better image)....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR D127 15.jpg

Not the world's best website but I finally found details of what's included for the price - rather more than just the sides. Rather good value even with other fine detail parts and bogies to be added.

• RMweb Premium

Both in Llandudno are gone now, but the one in Betws-y-coed is Colin's, and he tends to be more G scale and 16mm, but the bloke is a diamond and quite the eccentric. He lives in his converted Pullman coach when he's up this way, although I do believe his wife has been rather poorley lately and he's not been there much.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jintyman.

When you say 'both in Llandudno are gone' does that include 'Photoworld'?  (No idea why it was called that!) 

I thought that had gone last year, but discovered earlier this year they had moved to Queen's Road.

Not been up there to look lately.

Graham

Steve

As an Old Oswestrian is there any news on when JLTRT will be able to offer the Dukedog kit for sale?  I well remember 9017 in storage inside the Works before it went off to the Southeast.

Larry has got me enthusing about the Cambrian once again after 55 years.  That and a house restoration project I am helping with in Borth y Gest, a place I stayed in often during the days of the steam powered Cambrian Coast Express.

A Dukedog would not look out of place next to a 14XX!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jintyman.

When you say 'both in Llandudno are gone' does that include 'Photoworld'?  (No idea why it was called that!) 

I thought that had gone last year, but discovered earlier this year they had moved to Queen's Road.

Graham

Photoworld are still on the Bachmann website as approved stockists.

They are still extant on the UK Model Shop directory website at Queen's Road.

Other local business directories have them trading at the Queen's Road address.

Good old Yell still have them in Victoria Road!

I hope they are still trading, because I used to use them quite a lot when I was visiting my wife's parents who lived in Craig Y Don, and they were always so helpful.

• RMweb Gold

Never trust the BBC forecast....Fine rain stopped photography! Anyway, the externals are completed. The ends and underframe were gently weathered using much-diluted Ralmatch Sleeper Grime transferred from spraycan to spraygun....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR D127 16.jpg

No moulded detail in sight....... '0' gauge is the builder's scale!  I may have to give the bogies etc more rust when I see how the coach looks on fully ballasted track. But that's for the future.  

attachicon.gifWEB GWR D127 18.jpg

That coach looks absolutely fabulous.

What is so depressing is the speed at which you have stripped it down, remade it and then painted it.

I'd still just be thinking about it.

• RMweb Premium

Photoworld are still on the Bachmann website as approved stockists.

They are still extant on the UK Model Shop directory website at Queen's Road.

Other local business directories have them trading at the Queen's Road address.

Good old Yell still have them in Victoria Road!

I hope they are still trading, because I used to use them quite a lot when I was visiting my wife's parents who lived in Craig Y Don, and they were always so helpful.

Thanks Richard. Sounds hopeful if they are still on the Bachmann list.

Hi Jintyman.

Graham

Ahhh, if they've moved then I'm mistaken, I went to an excellent little chippy on Victoria St in Craig-y-Don, just a couple of doors down from where they were, and saw it closed up. The lesson to learn is never presume!!!

It was called Photoworld because the owner used to do film processing and camera equipment in their previous shop in Madoc Street.

Jinty ;)

Edited to say: Sorry for the hijack Coachman ;)

Larry

It may have been Timbertracks coaling stage:

http://www.timbertracks.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_3&product_id=25

They come as laser cut parts and need painting. This does look similar to the one in the photo above.

Thanks Paul, thats the one. With a footprint of 316mm x 260mm, it looks like I will have to revise my plans.

Archived